Observations From The Poop Deck Christmas/New Years Equinox

morpheusofthesea

Here are a few observations. Got to port at 10:15 am. Long line waiting to enter. No line for Retreat guests. Dropped DW off with her luggage and $40 tip to porter to put them on his trolley and wheel them over to security x-ray, while I went to park the car in the parking garage across the street. This was the first time in the last 6 months that the parking garage was full on the 2nd floor. The first floor is 'verboten' with some kind of work (with no workers on a Wednesday morning). Went up the parked up ramp to the third floor and only 5 spaces available. Backed into one of these spots and wrote down the nearest stairwell on my parking stub for future reference. Got a call from DW that the doors were opening for the terminal. No line for Retreat. Went up elevator for security screening and check in seated in Retreat Lounge. 

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

The important information is there are 2108 booked guests for this sailing with a capacity of the Equinox 2852, so over 70% occupied. We will learn later tonight how many cancelled (was told it is usually 30 cancellations on average). Hard to find an empty elevator. Noticed the Martini Bar was swinging shortly after boarding. The ship's horn is blowing, we are casting off and DW has gone to guest services, terribly upset with missing one bag.

5 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The important information is there are 2108 booked guests for this sailing with a capacity of the Equinox 2852, so over 70% occupied. We will learn later tonight how many cancelled (was told it is usually 30 cancellations on average). Hard to find an empty elevator. Noticed the Martini Bar was swinging shortly after boarding. The ship's horn is blowing, we are casting off and DW has gone to guest services, terribly upset with missing one bag.

I believe the Suite Concierge can help with her missing luggage.  This will save her the trouble of dealing with Guest Services.  Just an idea.

Just now, FlorenceItaly said:

I believe the Suite Concierge can help with her missing luggage.  This will save her the trouble of dealing with Guest Services.  Just an idea.

Thank you. First one to be notified was our butler, then our steward. Then at 10 minutes to 4 pm DW was downstairs to the Retreat Lounge speaking to concierge who checked security (no bag). So she called guest services (no one picked up phone) so she left me in the cabin and went to guest services. A looonngg line, no wonder no one had time to pick up a phone call. A concierge saw DW in line and took her out of line and told her not to worry they are ALL looking for it. The flimsy luggage tag they send us probably torn off. I guess the ones we print ourselves are better. Concierge said those with no tag end up on deck 3 Guest Relations and it will be delivered to cabin.

• Like 1

I can relate to DW’s stress.  In November on Connie in PS one of my 12 checked bags did not show up in the first 3 hours aboard.  I was so stressed. That held the pots and pans and cooking utensils to be used in the butler's pantry.  LOL.  A lost bag is always so stressful and it always seems to be the one that holds the most important items.  It was gratefully located after a few hours and I’m sure yours will be as well.  Happy cruising.  I look forward to living vicariously through your posts.  It will be interesting to hear about a cruise that is so “booked” compared to how much we have been spoiled.

• Like 1

Well folks, the case of the missing bag has been solved. I have learned to turn 'a blind eye' to DW's number of bags she takes on a cruise. All I asked her to do is take a picture of all her bags on her phone. I had thoughts of having left a bag in the car at the port. I asked to examine the photo on her phone and counted 11 bags and we have 11 bags in our cabin. Folks, don't delay your plans. When you are lucky enough to get to an old age don't waste your precious time. I saw several bags lined up against the wall of guest services with no Celebrity luggage tags, so they do come off.

There are just under 200 Canadians on board, a couple dozen folks from Ireland, under 100 from UK and 2 from Hungary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Many more cruisers are wearing masks than has been the case these past 6 months while on board, though it is still not mandatory on the Equinox. One show last night at 9:30 was entertaining. Theatre was about half full, much less social distancing. Gentleman did impressions/comedian/singer combo.

Staff at Luminae has been able to accommodate us with a romantic table for two (two top is the latest jargon), away from other diners, but we come early when they open for each meal. There was one guest 'coughing up a storm' by the window tables. So glad we were 'tucked' far enough away. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Well folks, the case of the missing bag has been solved. I have learned to turn 'a blind eye' to DW's number of bags she takes on a cruise. All I asked her to do is take a picture of all her bags on her phone. I had thoughts of having left a bag in the car at the port. I asked to examine the photo on her phone and counted 11 bags and we have 11 bags in our cabin. Folks, don't delay your plans. When you are lucky enough to get to an old age don't waste your precious time. I saw several bags lined up against the wall of guest services with no Celebrity luggage tags, so they do come off.

There are just under 200 Canadians on board, a couple dozen folks from Ireland, under 100 from UK and 2 from Hungary.

11 Bags! Are you moving in? LOL! We are boarding the Constellation today for our 11 night Christmas/New Year cruise and we only have two standard suitcases, and we both love clothes! We look forward to reading your posts. Merry Christmas and enjoy your cruise!

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always enjoy reading of your adventures! 🥂 

Your opening poem is of great value in these uncertain times, and our Equinox adventure is scheduled to begin at the end of January. We are watching closely as time ticks away to see what the future will bring - will the go/no go decision be made for us? Or will we decide the risk is too great? Or will we say "Damn the torpedos" and jump through the hoops to be on board Equinox at the end of January? 

Thank you for your essay! And enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Have a wonderful cruise. Think of us when you’re laying out on your balcony as the temp here is 19F and windy

Thought I'd show all the before and after shots of our balcony. Had the butler replace the two chairs and with sloped ottomans for two cushioned recliners 'like the solarium'. He suggested "like the Retreat". Okay, like the Retreat.IMG_1443.thumb.jpg.5cd2fc6df671dfe02dddb9b43e47f966.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, RealBatman said:

Or will we decide the risk is too great? Or will we say "Damn the torpedos" and jump through the hoops to be on board Equinox at the end of January? 

The older one gets the better appreciation one has for 'destiny'. "

"The Appointment in Samarra"
(as retold by W. Somerset Maugham [1933])

The speaker is Death

"There was a merchant in Bagdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, Master, just now when I was in the marketplace I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me.  She looked at me and made a threatening gesture,  now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate.  I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me.  The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went.  Then the merchant went down to the marketplace and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, Why did you make a threating getsture to my servant when you saw him this morning?  That was not a threatening gesture, I said, it was only a start of surprise.  I was astonished to see him in Bagdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today at lunch our waitress suggested combining 2 entrees, broiled salmon over a bed of udon noodles stir fry. A second waiter rushed over to remove the top salmon skin. A third made sure our water glass was always topped off. Where on earth can one get such service?  They anticipate before we order what we might enjoy after the very first meal. For dessert I ordered from the Luminae menu both the white chocolate mousse and the chocolate dark forest cake in a cup. They arrived with an additional slice of fudge brownie cake and chocolate macaroons. DW had the apple strudel from the MDR menu (she ate all the macaroons).

A discrepancy we discovered between the shore side concierge and our butler here on board. DW asked the shoreside about complimentary laundry and dry cleaning and pressing, which tended to follow those limits listed on the Celebrity website for this cabin. Butler on first day told us that these services for this cabin was unlimited (RS).

We waited a day  to visit the I Lounge. There are 3 attendants helping guests log in. Retreat guests go to the Retreat Lounge instead. But our objective was to use our $1700 non refundable shipboard credit (combo of OBC, price decrease after final payment, funds rolled over from a cancelled cruise deposit and even booking on board bonus). There was a slow down during lunch so we moseyed in and picked out the last of the stock 15" mac book. On a prior cruise while visiting this kiosk a fellow passenger suggested if we were elite status we should ask for an extra 5% discount. They were giving 5% discount this summer at the I lounge on Edge just for asking at any level status. We asked and the attendant knocked off $100 (not exactly 5%, but close enough)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

A discrepancy we discovered between the shore side concierge and our butler here on board. DW asked the shoreside about complimentary laundry and dry cleaning and pressing, which tended to follow those limits listed on the Celebrity website for this cabin. Butler on first day told us that these services for this cabin was unlimited (RS).

I've always received unlimited laundry in a royal suite.

• Thanks 1