Panama Canal

CharmCity2000

I need help picking a ship.  It will be me and 2 kids ages 15 and 12.  We will be going the week of xmas/NY 2023.  My ship choices are NCL Pearl or Celebrity Edge.  My kids love the mega ships and neither of these has any of those type of amenities.  The 15 yr old will use the teen club.  The 12 yr old will not.

Looking for the pros and cons of each ship.  

Thanks for your help

9 minutes ago, CharmCity2000 said:

I need help picking a ship.  It will be me and 2 kids ages 15 and 12.  We will be going the week of xmas/NY 2023.  My ship choices are NCL Pearl or Celebrity Edge.  My kids love the mega ships and neither of these has any of those type of amenities.  The 15 yr old will use the teen club.  The 12 yr old will not.

Looking for the pros and cons of each ship.  

Thanks for your help

I do not have experience with either named ship -- but have regularly found that the service and food on Celebrity are far superior to that found on the much more crowded NCL - but NCL apparently has an edge when it comes to entertainment.  Of course, any pre-teen or teen worth his/her salt will be able to have a great time on either line ----- and you should remember: it is not all about the kids:   the grown-up paying for the trip should be entitled to a good time as well.   Figure out what do YOU  want? -- And then inform your children that YOU are arranging a great Christmas trip for them.

NCL Pearl.  Why?  Because she will transit through the old historic locks, while Celebrity Edge will use the new Locks.  However, my research does not show any Celebrity ship visiting the Panama Canal in Dec. 2023.  In particular, Celebrity Edge is scheduled to be in New Zealand.  EM

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

NCL Pearl.  Why?  Because she will transit through the old historic locks, while Celebrity Edge will use the new Locks.  However, my research does not show any Celebrity ship visiting the Panama Canal in Dec. 2023.  In particular, Celebrity Edge is scheduled to be in New Zealand.  EM

Oops.  I meant Dec 2022-Jan 2023.  Thanks for the info about the locks.

Putting aside the locks...

You are talking about two extremely different ships.   While we haven't sailed on the Pearl, we have sailed on her sister ships (the Gem, Jade, and Jewel).  Older ships, very comfortable size, traditional promenade deck. No bells and whistles.  We love those ships for those reasons (and are booked on the Gem for B2B Panama Canal transits in 2023).

The Edge is one of Celebrity's newest ships, and the first Celebrity ship to have "Infinite Verandas"  -- "balcony" cabins that are really ocean view cabins with a window that opens.  They are not for everyone -- no true open balcony feeling from what folks report.  The only way to have a traditional balcony on that ship is to book one of the very few Sunset Verandas, or a suite.    Apart from those drawbacks, the ship itself sounds beautiful, and we are in fact booked on the Beyond -- the third of this class of ship -- for 2023.

Very different dining options on the two ships, different kinds of entertainment.  Etc.

What are you looking for in a ship?  

10 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Putting aside the locks...

You are talking about two extremely different ships.   While we haven't sailed on the Pearl, we have sailed on her sister ships (the Gem, Jade, and Jewel).  Older ships, very comfortable size, traditional promenade deck. No bells and whistles.  We love those ships for those reasons (and are booked on the Gem for B2B Panama Canal transits in 2023).

The Edge is one of Celebrity's newest ships, and the first Celebrity ship to have "Infinite Verandas"  -- "balcony" cabins that are really ocean view cabins with a window that opens.  They are not for everyone -- no true open balcony feeling from what folks report.  The only way to have a traditional balcony on that ship is to book one of the very few Sunset Verandas, or a suite.    Apart from those drawbacks, the ship itself sounds beautiful, and we are in fact booked on the Beyond -- the third of this class of ship -- for 2023.

Very different dining options on the two ships, different kinds of entertainment.  Etc.

What are you looking for in a ship?  

You really hit on the problem.  For me, I'm happy with a sun deck and a pool.  Throw in a bar where I can get a beverage and I'm content.  For the most part, the kids and I tend to eat in the MDR and the buffet.  Usually after the first night or two, I become a solo cruiser and see my kids in passing and when I hear them come in for the night.  I'm a very early to bed, early to rise person.  My normal bedtime is 9 but by 8:30 I'm wanting to be in my cabin.  I don't think I've ever made it to a show on any of the ships.  I know we could go to the earlier shows but it just seems so rushed if we've been out all day.  I'd rather use my sun hours to be outside than getting ready for dinner.  

Now, the kids on the other hand.....they love all the bells and whistles of the mega ships.  We leave next week for a week on the Mardi Gras.  The more to do on the ship, the better.  Neither of these ships cater to that.  Looking at itineraries, I'm leaning towards NCL.  It's a more port intensive itinerary and if I structure the excursions right, the kids will have fun off the ship, rather than on the ship.  On the 12 day cruise, there are only 4 sea days.