Christmas Week on Viking TV and on ships.

Azulann

I know some who read this forum do not get email form Viking. 

here is the schedule for this week on VT:

https://viking.tv/?contid=30023355546_1001287128&utm_id=email_vrc.54282182&cid=EML|RSP|999|vrc.54282182&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=55presale

I look forward to either watch each day live or on demand. 

I also  hope some of passengers on Viking Orion, Venus post on their experience this week during Christmas. 

One of my favorite cruises was a full transit of the Panama Canal during Christmas and News Year many years ago. 

Having  another quiet Christmas here at home,  I have lots of time on my hand to read these posts.

Everyone have a wonderful Christmas  full of hope and joy  and goodwill to all.

• Like 5

What are Viking like at Christmas for those who don't follow any of the Abrahamic religions? Genuine question, follow whichever religion you like, but we don't follow any, and don't want to be bombarded with yours, we don't mind a few decorations, which are easy to ignore. 

Not sure if this is intended to be a Christmas decoration or if it's a regular fixture of the Wintergarden decor on Viking Orion. This arrangement of nine deer figurines is evocative of Santa's reindeer (counting Rudolph) resting before their big journey tomorrow night.

20211223_133444.thumb.jpg.90de9ecf916de568ad2ff8151b4517d0.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

For Christmas Eve, I'll add this detail from the Christmas village display in the Viking Orion atrium. Santa looks ready to go.

20211224_084126.thumb.jpg.2538a7cfdfc12ba5ace50f7adfcecff9.jpg

Thank you so much for posting the  pictures from the Orion. it looks very festive and lots of fun discovering the additions to the Gingerbread Houses display. 

Have a  wonderful Christmas Eve dinner ! 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 1:42 PM, KBs mum said:

What are Viking like at Christmas for those who don't follow any of the Abrahamic religions? Genuine question, follow whichever religion you like, but we don't follow any, and don't want to be bombarded with yours, we don't mind a few decorations, which are easy to ignore. 

As long as a Christmas Tree or a Santa does not offend you the decorations are just plain beautiful.  No particular religious figures that we noted.  Merry Christmas...🍸

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

As long as a Christmas Tree or a Santa does not offend you the decorations are just plain beautiful.  No particular religious figures that we noted.  Merry Christmas...🍸

That's fine, it's things like the music being lots of carols, or people dressed as santa ho hoing a lot that we want to avoid. A few decorations in the lounges we can ignore, religious or otherwise. 

We aren't offended by religion, we respect that people have a right to believe in whatever, but as atheists we don't want to have a cruise with it as a running theme. Work has a fortnight shut down over Xmas/new year so is a good time to book a holiday. If there is a lot of emphasis on it on board we'll book something else

Edited by KBs mum

16 hours ago, KBs mum said:

That's fine, it's things like the music being lots of carols, or people dressed as santa ho hoing a lot that we want to avoid. A few decorations in the lounges we can ignore, religious or otherwise. 

We aren't offended by religion, we respect that people have a right to believe in whatever, but as atheists we don't want to have a cruise with it as a running theme. Work has a fortnight shut down over Xmas/new year so is a good time to book a holiday. If there is a lot of emphasis on it on board we'll book something else

May this holiday season be filled with laughter, joy, peace and love to warm your heart. 

Now that Christmas day is coming to a close, I'll summarize the Christmas items that have appeared so far on the Viking Orion schedule for the current Mexican Riviera cruise.

Friday, December 24, 2021
8:00 PM
Movie Under The Stars: The Polar Express (2004)

Pool Deck

10:30 PM
Christmas Eve Service

Star Theater

Saturday, December 25, 2021

12:15 PM
Name That Tune – Holiday Themed

Explorer's Lounge

1:00 PM
Feature Movie: It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Star Theater

5:15 PM
Christmas Verse & Prose

Atrium

9:15 PM
Viking Orion Holiday Show

Star Theater

Christmas Singalong

Atrium

Sunday, December 26, 2021

Movie Under The Stars: Elf (2003)

Pool Deck

22 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Christmas songs have featured prominently in the mix of ambient background music played around the ship. The live music performed in the atrium has also been weighted toward Christmas songs the past few days leading up to Christmas.

Some of the crew were wearing Santa hats on Christmas day. Didn't hear any ho-ho-hoing though.

In my view, none of the Christmas activities on Viking Orion were over the top and on balance were as much secular as religious in tone. For example, of the dozen or more Christmas standards performed at the “Holiday Show”, only one (O Holy Night) gave any indication that Christmas is a Christian holiday.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, millybess said:

May this holiday season be filled with laughter, joy, peace and love to warm your heart. 

There is plenty joy, laughter, peace and love in our lives all year, including winter. These feelings are not restricted to people who follow a religion 

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Now that Christmas day is coming to a close, I'll summarize the Christmas items that have appeared so far on the Viking Orion schedule for the current Mexican Riviera cruise.

Friday, December 24, 2021
Movie Under The Stars: The Polar Express (2004)

Pool Deck

Christmas Eve Service

Star Theater

Saturday, December 25, 2021

12:15 PM
Name That Tune – Holiday Themed

Explorer's Lounge

1:00 PM
Feature Movie: It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

Star Theater

5:15 PM
Christmas Verse & Prose

Atrium

9:15 PM
Viking Orion Holiday Show

Star Theater

Christmas Singalong

Atrium

Sunday, December 26, 2021

Movie Under The Stars: Elf (2003)

Pool Deck

Christmas songs have featured prominently in the mix of ambient background music played around the ship. The live music performed in the atrium has also been weighted toward Christmas songs the past few days leading up to Christmas.

Some of the crew were wearing Santa hats on Christmas day. Didn't hear any ho-ho-hoing though.

In my view, none of the Christmas activities on Viking Orion were over the top and on balance were as much secular as religious in tone. For example, of the dozen or more Christmas standards performed at the “Holiday Show”, only one (O Holy Night) gave any indication that Christmas is a Christian holiday.

Thank you, that all seems easily avoided, its mostly in places we don't go to.

Subject of Christmas songs, Elton John has just got his first UK Christmas no 1, collaboration with others, with a song about sausage rolls. This is bizarre even by 'Wombling Merry Christmas' standards

1 hour ago, Jammy Bun said:

Similar on Viking Venus… plus ‘Merry Christmas’ greeting from almost everyone we passed (crew and guests) throughout the day.

We don't ming greetings relating to the speakers religion or culture, we just say something appropriate back 

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

There is plenty joy, laughter, peace and love in our lives all year, including winter. These feelings are not restricted to people who follow a religion 

I agree. I was sending good wishes your way for this season that causes you such angst. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

"Happy New Year" might be appropriate and a kind wish for us all.

We normally say whatever it was back to them, or repeat their actions, unless we know what the usual response is in their religion or culture. 

I'm from a city, there are several new years there, best wishes, whenever yours is

7 minutes ago, millybess said:

I agree. I was sending good wishes your way for this season that causes you such angst. 

Doesn't cause angst, just something we don't want to be involved with. We also don't get involved with Ramadan, Diwali or Hannukah. The non Christian parts of Christmas are mostly Pagan in origin, relating to the midwinter solstice celebrations, so we don't really do those either. 

We do santa for our young grandson as a bit of fun, but that's it. 

It's similar to people who want to avoid very hot or cold weather, or rough seas. Just personal preference

KBs Mum.  Santa, Father Christmas etc etc etc are fun.  A celebration of some kind in midwinter is a human tradition - so I am glad you respond in kind.

I love cruising the Med mainly because of the wonderful ancient sites, museums, palaces and churches. I am not religious but seeing the wonderful artefacts that humankind have built over the ages is fascinating.  

From your previous posts you do seem to avoid many of the offerings onboard Viking that others enjoy.  Perhaps you love the off ship experience.

Do you have any Viking cruises scheduled ?