Celebrity Sailing Experience From a Canadian

wendycook22

Trip Details
December 10 - 17 2021
YYZ - MIA via AC 10:00am December 10 2021
MIA - YYZ via AC December 17 2021 at 5:20 (delayed until 6:30)

5 Night Nassau and The Caribbean (Nassau and Cozumel) 
Celebrity Summit 
December 11 - 16 2021 (pre and post cruise accommodation for 1 night)

Online Check In - Celebrity Cruises
  • I completed our online check in which included uploading our vaccination certificates/QR codes
  • We selected our arrival time between 12:00 and 12:30
  • Celebrity has the muster drill video uploaded on their App which you can watch prior to sailing - it also identifies your muster station
Departure Testing
  • Antigen Test at Shoppers was completed on December 9 2021 - Booked an appointment online December 6 2021.  The test was not overly invasive quick and painless.  It took aprox. 20 minutes to process and we received our printed results - this was our first experience being tested - it wasn't painful and done in less than a minute
Outbound Flight
AC1640 YYZ - MIA - 10:00 - 13:13
  • I printed off and filled out the US CDC attestation form in advance of flying and had paper copies in the event they were required.   A hard copy of the form was not required as these questions were satisfied during the Air Canda's online check in process.  
  • Online Check In:  We uploaded our negative antigen results and proof of vaccination. We selected our seats and paid for our checked luggage.  This allowed us to do the self-luggage drop off at the airport.  We simply scanned our passports and boarding pass at the kiosk, which printed our luggage tags and we dropped off our bags off at one of the many self-assist luggage scales (which is contactless).  
  • We then proceeded to the security check point where a representative verified our vaccination receipt.  In our experience this was the only time this was viewed.  Upon entering the secured are of Pearson we were not required to show our vaccine certificate or our test results (but again they were uploaded in AC system during our check in process).  
  • We left our house at 5:40 (It was aprox. a 45-minute drive from home), and was sitting in the Plaza Premium Lounge waiting for our flight at 7:45.  We were lucky and did not experience significant back log and significant lines during check in, security or CBP.  We preferred to allow for the extra time then start the vacation with added stress of beating the clock.  
Arrival In Miami
  • The airport arrival was pretty much the same as pre-pandemic travel minus less airport traffic, and the addition of face masks.  
  • Miami Beach and South Beach was significantly less traffic than previous visits.  Mask wearing was minimal - most employees in stores were masked however restaurant staff were hit and miss.  Residents/Patrons in stores and restaurants were 15%/85% masks vs non masks.  We noticed some establishments had signs stating if you were vaccinated masks were not required.  

Cruise Embarkation
  • As previously mentioned, our vaccine certificates were uploaded during the check in process.
  • We did our health check online prior to leaving our accommodation and watched the muster drill video
  • After dropping our luggage off with the porters we presented our Xpress Pass, vaccine certificates and negative test results to a check point leading to the entrance of the cruise terminal.  At this time there was no queue leading into the terminal
  • Upon entering the terminal, our vaccine and test results were verified a second time with our passport.  
  • We went through the usual security screening
  •  The check in process was not completed at the usual counter.  As you entered you were provided direction to a representative with tablet to completed the check in process.  Your key cards were not given at this time, rather they were placed in the mail slot at your cabin door.  We used our Xpress pass to scan ourselves in as we initially entered the ship, and immediately went to our cabin to drop off our carry on bag, and retrieve our sea pass cards.  
  • Once we had our cards, we attended our muster station to have our sea pass cards scanned to check in which completed our muster requirements.  I hope they keep this process on a go-forward basis.  Less crowding and more efficient.  If you do not have the Celebrity App you are able to watch the muster video on your cabin television.  
Cruise Experience
  • After speaking to staff on the ship there were approximately 500 passengers on board the Summit which has a capacity of just over 2200 guests.  The week prior had about 800 guests, and the week after our sailing they were expecting approximately 900.   
  • The benefit of this sailings staff to passenger ratio was evident.  I have always found their service excellent, but this was above and beyond.  
  • I found there were fewer activities than usual around the pool on sea days, but with a lower number of potential participants it is understandable.  
  • The buffet still had plenty of options (just fewer extravagant displays - which was nice to see to lessen the food waste), and all stations were served by crew. 
  • At the bars, once a bartender viewed your card they would ask your room number.  After that our sea pass cards were rarely needed as they would remember your name and stateroom number.  (Previously sailings I found this would happen a few days into the cruise).  If they didn't recall your details or if it was a new bartender, they would ask your cabin number.  I believe this was a great procedure as it did not allow the card to be handled as much and passed back and forth between different crew and the guest.  
  • Disembarkation process was standard other than everyone was to be off the ship by 9:30. Prior pre-pandemic sailings with higher capacity and less procedure allowed for later disembarkation times typically 11:00.
  • It was a great experience to be on a cruise with such a low capacity.  
PCR Testing by Celebrity
  • The first day of the cruise we registered for our PCR test
  • We went down to Guest Services and a representative registered us on the Trust One site (if we waited until later that evening we would have had the information in our cabin to register ourselves online - it was provided during our turn down service)
  • The registration provides you with a QR code that you present/scan upon checking in for your test
  • Testing was completed on the last full day of the cruise (which was a sea day for us) between 9:30-10:30 in the conference room - There was no specific time frame or scheduled appointment required on our sailing - there was maybe a 5 minutes wait to get in to be tested - again we were at a very low capacity and there did not appear to be many Canadian or international guests onboard
  • We completed our tests around 9:40 and had our results sent to us electronically at 15:17 that afternoon - we received hard copies of our results in our room after turn down service
  • Our first PCR experience - again it wasn't painful but it did make my eyes water for a bit afterward.  

Return Flight 
MIA - YYZ 17:20 - 20:31 (Delayed to 18:40 departure)
  • ArriveCan - had most of our information saved in the App prior to leaving for vacation to save time filling it out during our trip. We selected an available date for our return flight as a placeholder then updated the date of our flight periodically and to our actual date when completing the entry for submission - it will allow you to enter all the destinations you visited in the last 14 days
  • Flight Check In: We were not required to upload our vaccine status or test results during this online check in process
  • Airport Check In: Prior to checking in at the Air Canada desk we were required to show our ArriveCan, PCR results and proof of vaccination - this was verified again at the check in counter
  •  
Arrival in Toronto
  • We landed in Toronto shortly after 22:00 
  •  It was quieter than pre-pandemic travel.  
  • As in past practice, we were prompted to use the declaration kiosks prior to speaking with a border officer. The process was similar to past travel with the additions of covid related/screening questions. You will also be asked where you are coming from - US Direct, International, or Via US. For round trip US cruises hitting Non-US ports you should respond Via US (last option).  Our kiosk wouldn’t print our declaration card, so we were instructed to try again on another system but on the second we received two “X” on our paperwork (apparhently it was due to a camera mulfunction).  We brought this paper to an officer, he reviewed our passport, asked if we had anything to declare, and where we flew in from.  I disclosed that we flew in from MIA and we were on a cruise. He placed a green PHAC sticker on our passport (there are neon green and neon pink).    You show this sticker on your passport after collecting your luggage as you exit the baggage claim area.  In our situation we told to exit the area, and leave without arrival testing.  There was a line for the testing area but I was not able to see the front of the line due to the partitions set up.    
  • It appeared the Pearson is still working on ramping up arrival testing.  The signs around the airport still stated Random Mandatory Testing and Possible Quarantine

Edited by wendycook22
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

One additional note:  In our situation our PCR Test showed the time in which the test was performed.  It was not the time the sample was taken as our sample was taken at 9:40ish and it stated 2:45 on our document and we received our email at 3:17.  

Good for you.  Your obviously took the time to research and understand what the requirements would be and how the processes worked.

Some people do not bother with these 'details'.  They suffer the consequences and complain rather than looking in the mirror.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks for the very thorough report, Wendy. Just as a matter of interest, what vaccination record(s) did you provide to Celebrity?

We uploaded our QR document as proof of vaccination.  We also used this during the whole trip (we had physical copies and electronic copies on our phone)  The Celebrity App was a bit finicky.  One day the ability to upload the vaccine record was there, the next day it wasn't, then it reappeared and was able to uploaded them.  

Edited by wendycook22
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wendycook22 said:

We uploaded our QR document as proof of vaccination.  We also used this during the whole trip (we had physical copies and electronic copies on our phone)  The Celebrity App was a bit finicky.  One day the ability to upload the vaccine record was there, the next day it wasn't, then it reappeared and was able to uploaded them.  

Many thanks. There was one case I read about where the terminal employee insisted on the "original" records. The newer national format proof of vaccination with the QR code wasn't deemed acceptable, as it was not the one issued at the time of each vaccination. It's good to see that this was an exception and not the rule!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Many thanks. There was one case I read about where the terminal employee insisted on the "original" records. The newer national format proof of vaccination with the QR code wasn't deemed acceptable, as it was not the one issued at the time of each vaccination. It's good to see that this was an exception and not the rule!

Yes, I had read that thread as well.  We never removed our original certificates from our phones so hubby and I have both original certificates and the QR's uploaded on our phones. We were prepared just in case there was any question.  I often air on the side of having too much detail/information.  It is better to be overprepared and have more than we need than get caught falling short.  

Edited by wendycook22
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wendycook22 said:

Yes, I had read that thread as well.  We never removed our original certificates from our phones so hubby and I have both original certificates and the QR's uploaded on our phones. We were prepared just in case there was any question.  I often air on the side of having too much detail/information.  It is better to be overprepared and have more than we need than get caught falling short.  

A woman after my own heart! Planning and preparing are half the fun of travelling. 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for the great detailed summary!

Quick question to you (and others who might know) in regard to pre-flight check in.  We will be checking online BEFORE we have our antigen test results (next morning)....  I assume we can still check in online providing whatever is requested....?  or will we be unable to complete the check in until such time as we have our antigen test results in hand?

Or can we check in and add them later?  or just provide them at the airport?  Any ideas?

12 hours ago, Froufie said:

Quick question to you (and others who might know) in regard to pre-flight check in.  We will be checking online BEFORE we have our antigen test results (next morning)....  I assume we can still check in online providing whatever is requested....?  or will we be unable to complete the check in until such time as we have our antigen test results in hand?

Or can we check in and add them later?  or just provide them at the airport?  Any ideas?

I went into the online check in and picked our seats the morning prior to our flight (at the 24 hour mark when check in opens).  We took our antigen tests later that evening.  I then completed the rest of the check in process which included uploading our test results.  I hope that helps 🙂 

Edited by wendycook22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Froufie said:

I agree with Wendy.  In relation to Air Canada at lease, I just finished our check in for our red eye tonight.  We already had seats, so I didn't worry about doing it at the 24 hour mark, but the test upload was near the end, so I believe you can start check in, get your seats and then just go back and finish it once you have your tests.  You may also be able to skip the document verification process and finish check in and then if you go onto the website, into your booking and about halfway down there is a place there to add the required documents.  I actually uploaded our vaccine confirmations there yesterday, before 24 hours, just to get that part done.

• Like 3

From one Canadian to another - thanks for your detailed review!  Proof that being prepared pays off. 

I’m surprised, and had to read a second time, that only 500 passengers were on board.  
We are booked on the Holland America cruise leaving Florida January 9th and are hoping all goes smooth as well. 
☺️

• Like 2

Thanks for all the good check-in info - we also already have our seats (although now trying to switch flights via Flight By Celebrity due to cancelled direct flight 😞 )  so I guess I will do the check in - as much as possible - then add the documents the next morning/day of flight - and I am also finding this so stressful and hope all goes well and we can actually have a RELAXING CRUISE VACATION!  🙂

• Like 2

Too bad and short sighted that Celebrity is changing to not provide testing on the ship.   I don’t really care if they charge for it but it would be nice to get in done Onboard rather than at the terminal or trying to find a place ourselves.  

36 minutes ago, Yukonbear said:

Too bad and short sighted that Celebrity is changing to not provide testing on the ship.   I don’t really care if they charge for it but it would be nice to get in done Onboard rather than at the terminal or trying to find a place ourselves.  

I just watched the youtube video on which you are basing this statement, and replayed the relevant part several times. It's quite clear (if you are used to Don's rambling style) that he is referring to RCI's decision to stop testing, as already announced, NOT CELEBRITY. That doesn't mean that Celebrity won't go down this road (again) at some time in the future, but that's not the case today.

Those interested can look at related posts on the Celebrity board, none of which provide any affirmation to the contention that Celebrity will stop testing those requiring a test to travel home:

Edited by Fouremco

Just confirming as per website/today this is Celebrity's position on testing onboard:

Currently all fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive complimentary testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR test.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

Just confirming as per website/today this is Celebrity's position on testing onboard:

Currently all fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive complimentary testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR test.

This was our process on our sailing.  They verbally noted on their system that we booked prior to November 16, and that our tests onboard would be complimentary as per the terms at the time of our booking.  They did not ask to verify our return flight information but they most likely had access to this as we had flights booked by Celebrity.    

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 1:35 PM, wendycook22 said:

I'm glad that my post had an impact - and I do agree that this HAS to be the exception and not the rule. But being prepared helps tremendously. 

But more importantly it looks like you had an amazing cruise @wendycook22!! The Millenium class is certainly on my bucket list - let alone with 500 passenger capacity ! 

The level of detail you provided was awesome and so helpful and felt the passion for planning, reporting and preparing for a cruise is just as exciting as the cruise itself - something that I hold near to me as well 😃

• Like 1

With great sadness we cancelled our January Celebrity Reflection cruise. The Reflection is our favorite ship and we had hoped to cruise on it once more before it was reworked into an Edge clone.

Omicron was the final straw that made us decide to cancel, but Air Canada shortening our connection time in Toronto and the threat of winter delays added to our reasons for cancelling.

We have another Celebrity cruise planned for December 2022 and hope things have settled down by then.

BTW, we got a future cruise credit from Celebrity and Air Canada refunded all our Aeroplan points promptly, as did Expedia for our FLL hotel stay pre cruise..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Plato123 said:

With great sadness we cancelled our January Celebrity Reflection cruise. The Reflection is our favorite ship and we had hoped to cruise on it once more before it was reworked into an Edge clone.

Omicron was the final straw that made us decide to cancel, but Air Canada shortening our connection time in Toronto and the threat of winter delays added to our reasons for cancelling.

We have another Celebrity cruise planned for December 2022 and hope things have settled down by then.

BTW, we got a future cruise credit from Celebrity and Air Canada refunded all our Aeroplan points promptly, as did Expedia for our FLL hotel stay pre cruise..

We placed our final payment for our February 2022 cruise on the Reflection prior to leaving for this cruise.  We are crossing our fingers and toes we will get to sail again.  We will keep the reservation and utilize the cruise with confidence in February if we have to.  The Reflection has also been our favorite ship to date.