Covid cases

Stryker50

Carnival never posts numbers with the exception of the vista break out john finally said something to calm people down. He never posted total numbers or facts. They wouldnt. If they posted 20 and then had 22 would make them look silly. 

Look to see if  ship is green is the best you can hope for.

You would think almost 2 years later people would be ready to either decide to sail with covid or not. It's not going away. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I would assume every sailing has COVID cases just like every other gathering place in society right now.  It is unavoidable.

Most sailings on the CDC color status guide show green, meaning no reported Covid cases:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

Are you suggesting that is inaccurate, and these ship did have cases, and the cruise line is covering it up? (Not that such an idea is out of the question)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stryker50 said:

Has Carnival posted any covid cases on ships sailing now. I see other lines are getting some.

All cruise lines have experienced covid cases, even the 100% vaccinated and tested lines, and are required to report all the the CDC. The CDC released some numbers, but not broken down by cruise line.

I seriously doubt covid cases are found on every cruise of every ship.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

All cruise lines have experienced covid cases, even the 100% vaccinated and tested lines, and are required to report all the the CDC. The CDC released some numbers, but not broken down by cruise line.

I seriously doubt covid cases are found on every cruise of every ship.

Required to report known cases.  I’m sure there are many cases that happen the cruise line doesn’t know about. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Most sailings on the CDC color status guide show green, meaning no reported Covid cases:

Are you suggesting that is inaccurate, and these ship did have cases, and the cruise line is covering it up? (Not that such an idea is out of the question)

Not claiming there is a coverup.....just that there are just so many asymptomatic cases out there and then those that will not become apparent until the cruise is over.

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
20 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Not claiming there is a coverup.....just that there are just so many asymptomatic cases out there and then those that will not become apparent until the cruise is over.

There's always a partial truth being told somewhere in defiance. CruiseLine's want your business so there're not going to say there's a cover up. 

Guest BasicSailor
7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival never posts numbers with the exception of the vista break out john finally said something to calm people down. He never posted total numbers or facts. They wouldnt. If they posted 20 and then had 22 would make them look silly. 

Look to see if  ship is green is the best you can hope for.

You would think almost 2 years later people would be ready to either decide to sail with covid or not. It's not going away. 

More or less, if you place fear in people by actually detailing/posting the numbers 🤐

Carnival has a few ships under "yellow".  This is what it means.

Yellow Ship Criteria

• Ship is at or above CDC’s investigation threshold:
    • Restricted Voyages:
      • Cases reported in 0.10% or more of passengers (e.g., if 6500* passengers on board, CDC’s investigation threshold is met if there are 7 or more cases among passengers occurring during the previous 7 days), or
        • This percentage includes passenger cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation that CDC was notified of by state or local health departments.
      • One or more cases reported in crew.
    • Simulated Voyages:
      • Cases reported in 1.5% or more of passengers, or
      • Cases reported in 1.0% or more of crew.
    • Ships with Crew Only (i.e., not yet submitted requests for simulated voyages or applications for restricted voyages, pending CDC approval, or sailing at a later date).
      • Cases reported in 1.0% or more of crew.
  • Like 1

There are definitely people who are testing positive within 1-3 days when returning from cruises.  Whether these people report it to the respective cruise line  and if these cruise lines then reports it out is unknown.  I wouldn't be surprised is the cruise lines only report cases where a passenger is positive when tested on the ship.  

• Like 2

We were on the Legend last week and we felt the people aren't doing a good enough job trying to keep people safe. Like in the buffet, where the staff takes away your dirty dishes and then with the same hands, wipes the tables down and arranges salt and pepper on the table. Is this sanitary as they are not using disincentive wipes just an ordinary cloth. Same can be said for many venues on the ship. Ho9w sanitary is letting everyone help themselves to the food and not even checking if anyone used and sanitizer before entering the buffer?

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cmp03 said:

There are definitely people who are testing positive within 1-3 days when returning from cruises.  Whether these people report it to the respective cruise line  and if these cruise lines then reports it out is unknown.  I wouldn't be surprised is the cruise lines only report cases where a passenger is positive when tested on the ship.  

How would a cruise ship know what happens off of the ship. However, the CDC should still be notified by the responsible health department.

This percentage includes passenger cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation that CDC was notified of by state or local health departments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

How would a cruise ship know what happens off of the ship. However, the CDC should still be notified by the responsible health department.

This percentage includes passenger cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation that CDC was notified of by state or local health departments.

I assume the people testing positive would contact Carnival so that's how that they would know?  But maybe contacting the CDC would be their best option instead? 

State contract tracing is like 1 month behind here last I heard so I would think there should be a way to let the companies know prior.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

We were on the Legend last week and we felt the people aren't doing a good enough job trying to keep people safe. Like in the buffet, where the staff takes away your dirty dishes and then with the same hands, wipes the tables down and arranges salt and pepper on the table. Is this sanitary as they are not using disincentive wipes just an ordinary cloth. Same can be said for many venues on the ship. Ho9w sanitary is letting everyone help themselves to the food and not even checking if anyone used and sanitizer before entering the buffer?

Cheers

Len

I believe it is up to you to protect yourself from illness, especially if on vacation. We take hand sanitizer wipes for situations where you can't wash your hands (before eating your buffet selections for example) or just go wash hands before you eat in a cruise ship scenario.  Even if it's not the Rona on the tongs, it could be something else I don't want.  Or do a good job of selecting foods that you only eat with utensils, no tyour hands. Things like that can definitely help avoid illness at a buffet. The cruise line can't even guarantee the staff doesn't have something on their hands you don't want so wash or sanitize as a rule. And remember the general public is extremely dirty!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

I believe it is up to you to protect yourself from illness, especially if on vacation. We take hand sanitizer wipes for situations where you can't wash your hands (before eating your buffet selections for example) or just go wash hands before you eat in a cruise ship scenario.  Even if it's not the Rona on the tongs, it could be something else I don't want.  Or do a good job of selecting foods that you only eat with utensils, no tyour hands. Things like that can definitely help avoid illness at a buffet. The cruise line can't even guarantee the staff doesn't have something on their hands you don't want so wash or sanitize as a rule. And remember the general public is extremely dirty!

We do the same thing, even before this virus, basically because of Noro etc. We usually try and avoid the buffet. The point I was trying to make is that Carnival seems to be taking shortcuts on certain things and leaving it up to you to do the protecting. I just spoke to a friend who came off a Celebrity cruise and when I told him about what Carnival does, he laughed as Celebrity is doing a lot more to protect it's passengers. He said you can't even access a pat of butter by yourself, it has to be served to you.

Cheers

Len

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

While I don't disagree with you on the likely nasty hygiene of many people STILL after almost 2 years of this pandemic, we know with certainty that Covid is airborne and really doesn't transmit through surface contamination. Touching utensils, etc doesn't really change anything regarding Covid but still allows for flu/noro/etc so regular precautions from before the pandemic should be applied now as well as Covid precautions. Masking and distancing as best as possible IS far more useful (despite contrarians). Our family is now pretty accustomed to using sanitizer whenever we cannot wash our hands when entering a restaurant, after sitting down/prior to eating, and once complete with food. Almost religiously at this point. Will be no different on our upcoming Carnival Miracle cruise. So far, knock on wood, we've been as healthy as ever since the start of the pandemic (minimal colds/flus/GI issues). Just wash up/sanitize often, don't touch your nose/mouth, and you should be good. 

• Like 5

Of course they have cases. They are just not spreading that news around. Look at RC today in the news for their 50 cases on the Symphony and people reporting that their request to be tested during the cruise was denied along with their change in policy that they will no longer offer testing at the end of the cruise. All of this is to limit or reduce news like the article below. Many are reporting that this number was much higher than 50 on the cruise. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nearly-50-royal-caribbeans-symphony-seas-cruise-ship-test-positive-cov-rcna9346

Carnival is just trying to weather the storm. 

• Like 1

If Carnival had 50+ cases on a cruise you know some passengers would call and have news crews lined up when the ship disembarked. Carnival follows the CDC guidelines that some love to complain about. Now Carnival isn't going far enough? What the ???

The Vista had less than that and it was all over the news. When Panorama was denied entry to Cabo for far fewer cases that was known, just not as newsworthy as some other outbreaks. There is no conspiracy. And no cruise line immune from covid cases. Celebrity has a number of ships with yellow status. So much for their protocols. Perhaps if they had required masks earlier?

• Like 3

A case can be made that we Americans are sometimes too germaphobic and over-sanitize everything. Over time our bodies learn to adapt to thousands of various "bad" bacteria and viruses floating around. 

Recall how smallpox and other diseases wiped out large populations of native Americans when the Europeans came over, because they had no immunity to these viruses. 

So YES! ABSOLUTELY! Wash hands, wear masks were asked and practice good hyigene  for yourself.  But the ships overall are probably cleaner than your living room and kitchen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JMKreno said:

While I don't disagree with you on the likely nasty hygiene of many people STILL after almost 2 years of this pandemic, we know with certainty that Covid is airborne and really doesn't transmit through surface contamination. Touching utensils, etc doesn't really change anything regarding Covid but still allows for flu/noro/etc so regular precautions from before the pandemic should be applied now as well as Covid precautions. Masking and distancing as best as possible IS far more useful (despite contrarians). Our family is now pretty accustomed to using sanitizer whenever we cannot wash our hands when entering a restaurant, after sitting down/prior to eating, and once complete with food. Almost religiously at this point. Will be no different on our upcoming Carnival Miracle cruise. So far, knock on wood, we've been as healthy as ever since the start of the pandemic (minimal colds/flus/GI issues). Just wash up/sanitize often, don't touch your nose/mouth, and you should be good. 

I agree with what you say. My DW, while also no germophobe, always carries hand sanitizer wherever we go especially in restaurants. Touch the menu, get a spray of sanitizer. Funny, before the virus, she used to offer it to others sitting at our table and most said no thank you, now, most accept it graciously. 

Cheers

Len

On 12/21/2021 at 12:43 PM, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

I've read little is spread from touching, more from breathing.

Rcl does all the above and has cases this week. Scan and count your card to control occupancy. Different people running for drinks, wiping tables, clearing. They leave tables wet wet wet. Might be disinfected but wet. 

Cant touch food in buffet. No salt and pepper shakes, packets. You have to be handed the packets, cant touch the bowl of salt packets. Cant put dressing on your own salad. .. still cases. Its spread in the air I think. ..knock on wood. Have to be handed even a pat of butter. 

Is the above what you want from carnival? Would it really help? Lol rcl is back to spacing out cabins so they dont adjoin. .  In case it goes thru the wall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If Carnival had 50+ cases on a cruise you know some passengers would call and have news crews lined up when the ship disembarked. Carnival follows the CDC guidelines that some love to complain about. Now Carnival isn't going far enough? What the ???

The Vista had less than that and it was all over the news. When Panorama was denied entry to Cabo for far fewer cases that was known, just not as newsworthy as some other outbreaks. There is no conspiracy. And no cruise line immune from covid cases. Celebrity has a number of ships with yellow status. So much for their protocols. Perhaps if they had required masks earlier?

No but over a dozen crew on vista is in quarantine. To me it's best to quit beating up every ship with cases ... bad luck. 

Good morning Islanders! We are in Cozumel today! I found out a few things regarding crew members quarantining (including Kyndall Fire) and wanted to share. As far as we know everyone is feeling okay. We pray that comtinues. 

On 12/20/2021 at 5:52 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

Things are changing so fast right now. Of the 17 carnival ships sailing with passengers, 14 are now coded yellow with only 4 remaining Green.

According to this article, the amount of cruise ships coded yellow doubled just this week:

https://www.cruzely.com/number-of-cruise-ships-with-potential-covid-cases-doubles-in-just-one-week/

• Like 1