How does Cunard Queen Elizabeth compare to P and O?

Interestedcruisefan

6 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

They are doing lots of Southampton start cruises in 2022. Prices seem ok..

How do they compare to P and O? 

For food, facilities and entertainment?

Also I'm a bit worried they may be too formal too often?

Cunard are more formal than P&O but not to a great extent as there are options. In my experience Cunard food is slightly better and the entertainment is similar, I did think the guest speakers on Cunard had the edge, but that could just be that my field of interest was better catered for on Cunard. My advice would be to give Cunard a try and see for yourself. P&O have more facilities on the bigger ships as you would expect, I would say Cunard is better for couples as P&O seem to be favouring families.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Cunard are more formal than P&O but not to a great extent as there are options. In my experience Cunard food is slightly better and the entertainment is similar, I did think the guest speakers on Cunard had the edge, but that could just be that my field of interest was better catered for on Cunard. My advice would be to give Cunard a try and see for yourself. P&O have more facilities on the bigger ships as you would expect, I would say Cunard is better for couples as P&O seem to be favouring families.

I see tips not included with Cunard so would need to budget for them when comparing prices

Cunard ships are more luxurious in their decor but as they have become less formal, there is less difference between them and P&O now. Note. onboard prices are in US$ so are affected by the exchange rate. In normal times, Cunard carried a more international mix of passengers, especially German, American and Japanese, whereas P&O is predominantly British.

• Like 2

Service is better on Cunard, but I think that's because the passenger crew ratio is slightly better. There are 2 formal nights per week, one will have theme eg red/gold or 1920s but not every one joins in and you won't feel left out if you don't. (I don't have the right clothes for the themes.)There are areas of the ship where you don't need to wear formal clothes but sorry I can't remember where they are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Service is better on Cunard, but I think that's because the passenger crew ratio is slightly better. There are 2 formal nights per week, one will have theme eg red/gold or 1920s but not every one joins in and you won't feel left out if you don't. (I don't have the right clothes for the themes.)There are areas of the ship where you don't need to wear formal clothes but sorry I can't remember where they are.

I think the sauna is one of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I agree with what others have posted.Would only add that there is no Freedom Dining and gents have to wear a jacket every night including non formal which my husband is not keen on.We like Formal nights but generally travelling to Southampton by train it means 2 jackets for my husband to pack = extra weight to carry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prepare to have your pants pulled down every time you buy a drink or book an excursion. Prices are in US$ which doesn’t help. 

Far too formal for me - jacket required for gents every night. 

MDR food seems tailored for American tastes - meat heavy and not much veg. 

Quality of speakers better on Cunard. 

Worth a try but I much prefer “cheap and cheerful” P&O - whilst noting that prices for the cruises are comparable. 

If you shell out for Grills it’s a completely different level though (according to my parents)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Prepare to have your pants pulled down every time you buy a drink or book an excursion. Prices are in US$ which doesn’t help. 

Totally agree - it certainly puts us off. However, iirc, there is no limit to how many bottles of wine you can take on board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I'm a gin and tonic man right now

My wife is champagne  or prosecco though

Do they have a fridge in the rooms?

Yes they do. BTW we wre on QM in November and the requirement for jacket every night had been dropped.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I agree with what others have posted.Would only add that there is no Freedom Dining and gents have to wear a jacket every night including non formal which my husband is not keen on.We like Formal nights but generally travelling to Southampton by train it means 2 jackets for my husband to pack = extra weight to carry.

The lack of freedom dining is an bit of an issue for us - on one occasion we were with family so no problem but as we all know the mix on your assigned table is a bit of a lottery. 

Another time we had a table of eight - two never appeared, another two came only twice (and I don't think it was down to us!🤔).  Fortunately we had a very chatty and interesting American couple whose company we enjoyed and as we had a table right at the front of the dining room by the panoramic window we were very happy - even if we left dinner feeling we'd been in an interview - they were very interested in all things British, politics (thankfully some years back - I couldn't possibly comment on the current situation!), and on learning of our employment a lot about that too. 

It was stimulating, if a little exhausting, but fixed dining does bother me a little.  Pot luck.  We don't mind sharing but with Freedom Dining that can be with different people which can be more interesting - and if you do find some really good dining companions there's no problem linking up each evening should you wish (with the chance to give others a wide berth! 😉)

But we very much liked Queen Elizabeth as a ship.  Lots of spacious public areas - the experience for us was more akin to Aurora or Arcadia though - not so much Azura.  Perhaps it could be influenced by the type of P&O experience you prefer. 

• Like 1

Would take a lot of books, gin, tonic, prosecco, champagne and book a balcony in case we ever get confined to cabins for any reason or stuck on the ship etc

The below is tempting me

Might wait very last minute to book

12 nights Canaries

6th Jan

Balcony

Cunard fare
$150 pp Onboard Credit
£901 pp

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Totally agree - it certainly puts us off. However, iirc, there is no limit to how many bottles of wine you can take on board.

When we were on board Ventura recently, there was no honesty table when returning to the ship.  Even at Gibraltar.

Bought wine in some of the Spanish ports, which was too bring home, no one to hand it over to.  At Gibraltar the security scanning was done on board ship.  My grog rolled out of the carrier bag after going through the scanner.  Nothing said by the staff.  And it did come home unopened! 

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Would take a lot of books, gin, tonic, prosecco, champagne and book a balcony in case we ever get confined to cabins for any reason or stuck on the ship etc

The below is tempting me

Might wait very last minute to book

12 nights Canaries

6th Jan

Balcony

Cunard fare
$150 pp Onboard Credit

£901 pp

Yes that is a very good price. 

If deals like that are around when I’m confident to cruise I’ll be on them like a shot - especially if the jacket requirement has gone. 

Just seen in other thread that QM passengers with big quarantine problems over Xmas 

Typical that happens just when I start looking at Cunard and thinking less people on board means less chance of problems

On QM 60 positive out of 1,000 ish  apparently?

Quarantine cabins full

Passengers to be quarantined in Holiday Inn New York

This could just be start of the big problems I think 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

33 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Yes that is a very good price. 

If deals like that are around when I’m confident to cruise I’ll be on them like a shot - especially if the jacket requirement has gone. 

On checking, that price is for an obstructed view balcony, but nevertheless still a good price.

Personally,  living where we do, it's not worth the hassle for 12 days, but if we lived closer we would be tempted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

That is incorrect there are now formal nights and smart casual where a jacket is not required.