Anyone on board Odyssey?

Just now, Biker19 said:

You can’t stream directly to the TV - you can connect via HDMI (most of the time) from the streaming device. 

I thought so too, but I keep coming into the same issue that even though we're able to connect the HDMI, but we're unable to switch the channel to the HDMI port. Any tips here? Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, seapad said:

Great to hear this. However, I have tried this out before in RCL and it did not work for me, and maybe that's because I wasn't doing it correctly. 

In order to stream it to TV, do you chromecast it up, or don't you need to plug in a chromecast device to the TV? I don't know if there's a USB on the TV, and we also have problem in switching the TV to the USB outlet....hope I'm making sense. Would love to hear how you did this. I'm sure this would help a lot of folks out there too 🙂 

Thanks so much! 

I was on Ovation of the Seas and streamed from my laptop and logged into Netflix and watched with no issues.  

I brought along an extra long HDMI Cable so that the laptop could stay on that tall dresser instead of the bed. I also brought along a RCA remote from  Walmart about $9.99 (don't forget the batteries for it) that was "Samsung ready".  Sync the remote to the TV first.  I Used the remote to change the input on the TV to HDMI, be patient for the switch over, it may take a couple of seconds to switch the remote to the TV.  It's simple to use.  

If you don't bring the remote, you will need to find the input button on the TV.

Edited by Plum Happy
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, seapad said:

I thought so too, but I keep coming into the same issue that even though we're able to connect the HDMI, but we're unable to switch the channel to the HDMI port. Any tips here? Thanks. 

Theres a button underneath the TV. I found it by accident. Its not on the remote. Its a pain but you can use this to switch channels. 

27 minutes ago, seapad said:

Great to hear this. However, I have tried this out before in RCL and it did not work for me, and maybe that's because I wasn't doing it correctly. 

In order to stream it to TV, do you chromecast it up, or don't you need to plug in a chromecast device to the TV? I don't know if there's a USB on the TV, and we also have problem in switching the TV to the USB outlet....hope I'm making sense. Would love to hear how you did this. I'm sure this would help a lot of folks out there too 🙂 

Thanks so much! 

On the TV, go to streaming services.  It will ask you to go to tv.rccl.com.   then in your browser it will ask you to type in a code.  After you type in that code, I will then go to hbo max and select my episode of my show. I click on the TV screen at the top right which asks me to basically chromecast it and it asks which decide to cast it to. And the it works. 

Its like magic.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

On the TV, go to streaming services.  It will ask you to go to tv.rccl.com.   then in your browser it will ask you to type in a code.  After you type in that code, I will then go to hbo max and select my episode of my show. I click on the TV screen at the top right which asks me to basically chromecast it and it asks which decide to cast it to. And the it works. 

Its like magic.  

Thank you so much, this helps! I did not know that "streaming services" are now an option on the RCL TV now. Yippee!! 

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

@Kitkatgrrl Some one who is on the cruise just posted on FB that the number is up to 60 crew members with a positive covid test and 300 crew members are in quarantine?  Is that so?   How is the service on the ship now? 

Usually the captain does not say how many passengers/crew are in quarantine.     

It is one thing I like that Royal is transparent and does communicate how many positive cases onboard.    I don't think NCL, Carnival or HAL are doing that. 

6 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

My guess is the cheapest hotel in town will be housing those crew members for the next cruise if they are not outside their 10 days of quarantine.  Those that will be considered "covid free" by the time they make it back to Curacao will stay on board.  Just a guess that may make it eligible to disembark at the islands next time around.

I think they may drop off the positive tested crew at CocoCay as some of the crew may not be able to stay stateside depending on their paperwork.    Hopefully they get them off the ship so it doesn't impact next weeks itinerary.

Captain just made an announcement. 60 crew members have tested positive. No new passengers have tested positive so the count is still at 3 for passengers. 

Now I'm done.  Off to dinner.  If there are any major updates I will let you know. I expect numbers to rise, its an outbreak.  I am hoping numbers don't completely blow up.  

Edited by Kitkatgrrl
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, toad455 said:

I'm surprised the 12/26 cruise is still on or hasn't been delayed at least to sanitize the ship and deal with the positive cases of crew members.

I highly doubt they are going to cancel a holiday cruise that had some of the most expensive cabin rates this year.      they can deal with positive test crew - drop them off at CocoCay and I believe the close contacts for crew can come out of quarantine after 2 negative tests.     

Since some entertainers are positive there may not be some or all of the shows next week.  I highly doubt they will announce anything about shows ahead of time.   

21 minutes ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

Its like magic.  

what are streaming channels do they have?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Usually the captain does not say how many passengers/crew are in quarantine.     

It is one thing I like that Royal is transparent and does communicate how many positive cases onboard.    I don't think NCL, Carnival or HAL are doing that. 

Yes but it was just communicated that the Captain stated 60 cases up from 55.

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

what are streaming channels do they have?

They don't have streaming services. It's a badly titled menu option where you go to link you device to their TV so you can use your internet package to access YOUR streaming services. So I use it to access my hbo max and Netflix account. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

They don't have streaming services. It's a badly titled menu option where you go to link you device to their TV so you can use your internet package to access YOUR streaming services. So I use it to access my hbo max and Netflix account. 

Cool - I will have to check that out when I board in January.    Although I don't spend much time in the cabin but do enjoy watching TV when I go to bed.    Thank you.   Hope you enjoy the remainder of your cruise and Happy Holidays🤩

7 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes but it was just communicated that the Captain stated 60 cases up from 55.

yes, the captain will communicate the number of positive cases but I have never head of one saying how many are in quarantine.     If he said 350 are in quarantine can you imagine the panic that may happen onboard?   

I expect it will go up by end of the trip and some passengers will test positive when they get back home.     Unfortunately, lots of them will be flying / traveling back home and spreading along the way.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BND said:

Well, until the last couple of days when RCI shut down new bookings through like 10 Jan. That is definitely to keep counts down.

I’m not in the industry, but I doubt much that will change in terms of capacity by that move, most people don’t book on that short of notice… especially during the holidays.

• Like 1

They really need to switch to embarkation testing. I recently did it on Virgin and I was very impressed with their logistics. The other factor is I believe many crew members were given the Janssen vaccine and it's not very effective against Omicron. They need to be given a full dose of Moderna immediately. 

• Like 4