Checking Select Dining Availability?

Torfamm

I would like to make a change to a Select Dining reservation for one evening on my upcoming Apex cruise. It appears though that there is no way to check availability in my desired dining room without canceling my existing reservation. Am I missing something? I don’t want to give up what I have until I know that I can switch to an acceptable time in the new dining room. 

Just now, Torfamm said:

I would like to make a change to a Select Dining reservation for one evening on my upcoming Apex cruise. It appears though that there is no way to check availability in my desired dining room without canceling my existing reservation. Am I missing something? I don’t want to give up what I have until I know that I can switch to an acceptable time in the new dining room. 

Suggestion : Wait until you are on board to make any changes. That way your current reservations will not be affected. We did it a few times when we had Select Dining reserved for every night and informed the Hostess that we would be going to a Specialty restaurant the next night. They appreciate the " heads up " so they don't save the table and can accommodate others. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pinboy said:

Suggestion : Wait until you are on board to make any changes. That way your current reservations will not be affected. We did it a few times when we had Select Dining reserved for every night and informed the Hostess that we would be going to a Specialty restaurant the next night. They appreciate the " heads up " so they don't save the table and can accommodate others. 

You are right, we certainly can try once onboard. My concern was that it was already so difficult to find available times in any dining room except before 7:00 and after 8:30.

On our cruise last week they were recommending that people without reservations for Select Dining eat at 5:30 or 6:00.

I’d really prefer to reserve now so I can avoid eating very early or very late unless I’m willing to wait.

1 minute ago, Torfamm said:

You are right, we certainly can try once onboard. My concern was that it was already so difficult to find available times in any dining room except before 7:00 and after 8:30.

On our cruise last week they were recommending that people without reservations for Select Dining eat at 5:30 or 6:00.

I’d really prefer to reserve now so I can avoid eating very early or very late unless I’m willing to wait.

LOL--- I might get " the berries " on this one--- But, I'll take my chances ---

As soon as you get on board, go straight to the restaurant that you want the reservation in ---

Do not stop at the buffet to beat 'em for another meal --- there will be lots to eat in the next xx days.

See if they can accommodate you on the day and time you want--- If not, give the Maitre'd your cabin number and ask him to contact you if something comes available--- Either way, shake his hand with a few $$ ( US ) in it--- and voila---" surprise " --- 

" We had a cancellation and will be happy to seat you etc, etc ". 

( It's not a bribe---- It's knowing how to say Thank You ).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

Deleted...Never mind I'm not familiar with Apex and multiple dining rooms. 

Edited by davekathy

We cruised Edge prior to the Pandemic with a full ship and had Traditional, but had no problems going from one MDR to another, checking the day prior each time. On the Apex this Thanksgiving, same thing. We did dine at 6:30 or so, but just didn’t see it as an issue with bookings. 

enjoy!

den

Thanks for all the suggestions about booking onboard. I really am looking to see if anyone knows of a way to reserve ahead of time on the website without cancelling my existing reservation though. I suspect it could be done by phone as well but I don’t want to spend hours on hold. Thanks again!!!

2 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Thanks for all the suggestions about booking onboard. I really am looking to see if anyone knows of a way to reserve ahead of time on the website without cancelling my existing reservation though. I suspect it could be done by phone as well but I don’t want to spend hours on hold. Thanks again!!!

As many others have said, myself included, not all have hours wait time when calling.  The most I have ever waited on hold was 18 minutes, but usually 10 minutes or less.

1 hour ago, Melbean1969 said:

Can I just ask this will be our first cruise ever we have select dining do you have to make reservations for every evening? If so how? 

It is not required at all, but it is possible. Reservations for select dining can be made online Click on “manage my reservation” then “dining packages”. Scroll through and you will see Select Dining near the end of the list. 

• Like 1

You can also do this informally. After the first night, let your maitre'd know you will be arriving at the same time every night. She will do her best to accommodate you, and you can even tell her which section/waitstaff you prefer. You may still have to wait in a line, but once you get to the front you will be seated quickly. And make sure to have conversations with her so she will remember you. Remember her at the end of the cruise with a nice cash tip as well. 

Unless things have changed or they are different on the Apex, you can make a reservation each night for the next night.  Even if you decide you want to go at a different time on that day, just show up. If there is a wait, they will give you a pager and you can go to the nearest bar.