Driving to the port in FLL for Reflection Cruise Jan.19th

melbrook

Hello everyone...after searching for almost an hour with quite a few "searching" circles of death, I will NEVER think badly of someone asking a question I have seen 10x before.  You can tell I am about to ask what is likely a common question...

We are driving to the port in Fort Lauderdale for the first time ever (we always fly) to board the Reflection in 3 weeks.  I searched the Everglades website and found there are 2-3 garage options and quite a few terminals and I can't see past 7 days out which terminal the Reflection will sail from and to.  So question #1 is; how do I determine where to park if I don't know the terminals?  Is it always in terminal 18 for example?  Is there a secret CC way to see past the 7 day window?

Question #2 is about getting off the ship.  We have always had a flight to catch so we picked a time, with no rush to get off.  Now we'd like to get off as soon as possible and hit the road.  Itinerary says we are in port at 7am - does this mean we can walk off with our bags and clear customs at that time or is that wishful thinking??  

Question #2.  7 am is the scheduled docking time.  You have to wait for the ship to be cleared etc.  Walk off with your own luggage should start between 7:30 and 7:45 and luggage tag numbers to start right after that (by 8:00 would be my guess).

I don't recommend parking at the port.  It's expensive.  Check out Park n' Go.  They're right outside the port, will deliver you and your luggage to the port, and will be there to meet you when you get back.  Sign up and find coupons for reduced rates.  I've used them for years and they're excellent.

There is no way to discover the docking schedule past what the port publishes.  

If you insist on parking at the port, as you enter the port, the pier locations will be displayed on the overhead sign.  But be prepared to be in a long line.  The shuttle drivers are able to bypass this line.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, melbrook said:

Hello everyone...after searching for almost an hour with quite a few "searching" circles of death, I will NEVER think badly of someone asking a question I have seen 10x before.  You can tell I am about to ask what is likely a common question...

We are driving to the port in Fort Lauderdale for the first time ever (we always fly) to board the Reflection in 3 weeks.  I searched the Everglades website and found there are 2-3 garage options and quite a few terminals and I can't see past 7 days out which terminal the Reflection will sail from and to.  So question #1 is; how do I determine where to park if I don't know the terminals?  Is it always in terminal 18 for example?  Is there a secret CC way to see past the 7 day window?

Question #2 is about getting off the ship.  We have always had a flight to catch so we picked a time, with no rush to get off.  Now we'd like to get off as soon as possible and hit the road.  Itinerary says we are in port at 7am - does this mean we can walk off with our bags and clear customs at that time or is that wishful thinking??  

More than likely you will be using pier #29.  This is the one we used when we were on the Reflection a month ago.  I would us the Park n Go at to port.  It's much cheaper than the parking garages.  Just drop you car off and they bus you to your ship.  I hope this helps.  The earliest time to get off the ship is about 8am.  

Rollie

Edited by rollie

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

Worth it to me to park at the port, no waiting on shuttles, etc…it’s very easy at Port Everglades..

Have you ever used one of those shuttles?  Generally, there is no waiting--they are there to pick you up when you disembark.  There is absolutely no waiting at the Park n' Go lot.  The one time I parked at the port, I hated the long hike to the pier.  The shuttles drop you off at the door.

6 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't recommend parking at the port.  It's expensive.  Check out Park n' Go.  They're right outside the port, will deliver you and your luggage to the port, and will be there to meet you when you get back.  Sign up and find coupons for reduced rates.  I've used them for years and they're excellent.

There is no way to discover the docking schedule past what the port publishes.  

If you insist on parking at the port, as you enter the port, the pier locations will be displayed on the overhead sign.  But be prepared to be in a long line.  The shuttle drivers are able to bypass this line.

We use a similar service when we fly and the one we like runs every 15 minutes like clockwork while others you have to call for a pickup and then wait.  My only hesitation here is being with hundreds of other people also looking for this shuttle as we disembark when we are trying to get going as quickly as possible.  Can you share how crowded it typically is when you're heading back to you car?  For drop off it sounds like a much easier and less stressful option!  Thank you

15 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Question #2.  7 am is the scheduled docking time.  You have to wait for the ship to be cleared etc.  Walk off with your own luggage should start between 7:30 and 7:45 and luggage tag numbers to start right after that (by 8:00 would be my guess).

That is exactly what I needed - thank you!

We use Park N Go... (the cruise lot... they may also have an airport lot)... it is on 1101 Eller dr. We usually book in advance (https://www.bookparkngo.com/). They will park the car and hold onto your keys. Being the nervous person I am ..I take photos of the car before dropping it off..along with a photo of odometer. So far never had a problem. It is a quick and efficient operation. At the end of the cruise.. they run a steady supply of shuttles back to the parking lot. They charge less if you book in advance... 

After a long drive..all I want is a clean place to say with a restaurant close by. We have been staying at a Comfort Suites on Federal Hwy...in Dania Beach...just outside the airport and 2 miles from the parking lot. It is a fairly new place.. about 5 years old and next door there is a marina and a bar/restaurant overlooking the marina...it has a locals feel to it.... if necessary there are a few drug stores a short drive away for last minute items. The Comfort suite tends to be more reasonably priced. Now because of Covid..there isn't much of a breakfast... but I am usually a bit too worked up cruise morning to eat.

Last cruise there were two shuttles waiting for us. When we parked...we were the only ones on the shuttle. As long as ships are sailing at reduced capacity I don't think catching a shuttle is a problem. Since my husband has mobility issues.. the prospect of going off to get the car to come back and pick him up at the pier is not attractive..and long as he can still step up into the shuttle..this has worked very well. Some ports the remote parking isn't as efficient but so far this particular service at Ft Lauderdale has been very well run.

4 minutes ago, kearney said:

We use Park N Go... (the cruise lot... they may also have an airport lot)... it is on 1101 Eller dr. We usually book in advance (https://www.bookparkngo.com/). They will park the car and hold onto your keys. Being the nervous person I am ..I take photos of the car before dropping it off..along with a photo of odometer. So far never had a problem. It is a quick and efficient operation. At the end of the cruise.. they run a steady supply of shuttles back to the parking lot. They charge less if you book in advance... 

After a long drive..all I want is a clean place to say with a restaurant close by. We have been staying at a Comfort Suites on Federal Hwy...in Dania Beach...just outside the airport and 2 miles from the parking lot. It is a fairly new place.. about 5 years old and next door there is a marina and a bar/restaurant overlooking the marina...it has a locals feel to it.... if necessary there are a few drug stores a short drive away for last minute items. The Comfort suite tends to be more reasonably priced. Now because of Covid..there isn't much of a breakfast... but I am usually a bit too worked up cruise morning to eat.

We're actually making our half way point Calhoun, GA. on the way down and probably back as well.  Hoping to find a Walgreens between there and Atlanta, close to the highway to book our pre-board COVID test there.  On the way down we are stopping at Orlando for 1 night but I will check out that Comfort Suites - thanks for the rec!

Just now, melbrook said:

We're actually making our half way point Calhoun, GA. on the way down and probably back as well.  Hoping to find a Walgreens between there and Atlanta, close to the highway to book our pre-board COVID test there.  On the way down we are stopping at Orlando for 1 night but I will check out that Comfort Suites - thanks for the rec!

When we took our cruise (Dec 3)... Walgreens did not to the rapid test...but CVS does. We live in Dunwoody..just north of Atlanta. With the Omicron situation ...not sure this will still apply BUT CVS took reservations 2 weeks prior. So I got up early one morning and made an appointment for Dec 1...8:50 am... then we got on the road... we got a text that our results were in about 45-60 minutes later. By that time we were just south of town.. So I pulled over and logged on to get our negative results... and continued on. Now we took our time going down. We stopped at another Comfort suites in North Ocala FL. Again they had a neighborhood bar/restaurant within walking distance..got a great scallop dinner for $13. In the morning...again not much of a breakfast due to covid... Anyway about 6 hours later we were at the hotel in Ft Lauderdale.

Sorry for the long story..but I would go onto CVS and see if you can find a place on your route.

4 minutes ago, kearney said:

When we took our cruise (Dec 3)... Walgreens did not to the rapid test...but CVS does. We live in Dunwoody..just north of Atlanta. With the Omicron situation ...not sure this will still apply BUT CVS took reservations 2 weeks prior. So I got up early one morning and made an appointment for Dec 1...8:50 am... then we got on the road... we got a text that our results were in about 45-60 minutes later. By that time we were just south of town.. So I pulled over and logged on to get our negative results... and continued on. Now we took our time going down. We stopped at another Comfort suites in North Ocala FL. Again they had a neighborhood bar/restaurant within walking distance..got a great scallop dinner for $13. In the morning...again not much of a breakfast due to covid... Anyway about 6 hours later we were at the hotel in Ft Lauderdale.

Sorry for the long story..but I would go onto CVS and see if you can find a place on your route.

That's good to know and its a full week earlier than Walgreens' 1 week window.  I assume they don't do tests super early in the day so we have to find a spot and then time the drive there.  For example, if want to leave Calhoun at say 7am, I assume I cant get tested that early so we can drive a few hours and look for an appt closer to 9am farther down I-75.  I only got the Walgreens idea from people testing near the port.  I will take whatever I can find at this point.

@melbrook  -- since you can find out which Terminal the Reflection will be at 7 days in advance (not to mention when you get to the Port), you will not have any problem getting the info you need!

https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/#

Earlier this month, we sailed on the Silhouette, which departed from Terminal 25 at Port Everglades.  We'd driven to Fort Lauderdale; we'd never departed from this port before, and opted to park in the cruise port (at the Palm Garage).  We had no waits to drive into the Port itself, nor to drop off our checked bags at the Terminal, nor to get into the garage.   On the way back, we used a porter (tip well!) to take our luggage back to the garage.  The only wait there was for an elevator, as we'd parked on a higher floor. 

I totally trust the recommendations of others to park off the Port.  Speaking only for myself, I'm not a huge fan of leaving our car keys with anyone else unless we really have to.  We're also not big fans of taking our luggage on and off shuttles.   YMMV, and I'm sure you'll make the best decision for yourself.

Regarding testing: have a Plan A and also a backup plan.  Even before Omicron caused the demand for testing to explode, places like CVS sometimes cancelled testing appointments at the last minute, because they'd run out of test kits or had staffing problems.   

Enjoy your cruise!

I did a quick check..there appear to be 3 CVS locations in that general area that do the rapid tests. Earliest times are around 8:50- 9:00. It is possible Walgreens does that they of testing now..but a few weeks ago this was not available in our area.

Something else I did was put together a list of places where I could do a walkin... as a backup should something happen. I thought of ordering the home test but once I got an appointment two weeks in advance and found 3 other locations I could easily get to I did not bother.

Now I will warn you...post cruise DH developed cold symptoms.. I made appointment for him to get tested at a local county run drive through..it took him 2 hours before he could get to the front of the line and we did not get results for about 8 hours... this was just this past week.. What a difference 3 weeks and Omicron makes

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 12.22.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 12.22.09 PM.png

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

@melbrook  -- since you can find out which Terminal the Reflection will be at 7 days in advance (not to mention when you get to the Port), you will not have any problem getting the info you need!

Earlier this month, we sailed on the Silhouette, which departed from Terminal 25 at Port Everglades.  We'd driven to Fort Lauderdale; we'd never departed from this port before, and opted to park in the cruise port (at the Palm Garage).  We had no waits to drive into the Port itself, nor to drop off our checked bags at the Terminal, nor to get into the garage.   On the way back, we used a porter (tip well!) to take our luggage back to the garage.  The only wait there was for an elevator, as we'd parked on a higher floor. 

I totally trust the recommendations of others to park off the Port.  Speaking only for myself, I'm not a huge fan of leaving our car keys with anyone else unless we really have to.  We're also not big fans of taking our luggage on and off shuttles.   YMMV, and I'm sure you'll make the best decision for yourself.

Regarding testing: have a Plan A and also a backup plan.  Even before Omicron caused the demand for testing to explode, places like CVS sometimes cancelled testing appointments at the last minute, because they'd run out of test kits or had staffing problems.   

Enjoy your cruise!

As a side note, the shuttle driver took my bags from the car into the shuttle and took them off at the port and the same on the return.  Back up plan for testing always advisable. Given the long lines for testing. It might be a good idea to go ahead and get home tests.. assuming that they haven't run out of them as well.

I just checked..it does look like Walgreens now has that test in the area.... so that is new... But a quick check of CVC shows less that 2 week in advance.. appears more like 12 days. This is an ever changing situation.

We are sailing again in Feb..so we will be going through this all over again

We use Park N Fly, 2700 7th Avenue.  Very easy and a AAA discount.  You will get a survey on the app asking when you want do depart.  Even if they give you luggage tags, don't fret about it.  You'll line up at the theatre (Deck 5, not 4) and snake from the starboard side to the port side to disembark.  At Pier 29 the off site parking shuttles pick up across from the drop off curb on the other side of the crosswalk.  We just did it two weeks ago.  Enjoy!!

22 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Enjoy your cruise!

Sorry I didn't mention it's a 10 day cruise so when we park the car we will be outside the 7 day window to see what terminal it returns to.  

The luggage on/off 2x was the hesitation, my husband recently hurt his shoulder so I was thinking of that as well.  In our experience the shuttle drivers are typically helpful (not always) and porters are as well.  I have never had to leave my car keys behind - is there a legit reason they need them?  We'd have both sets just in case but I don't love the idea of leaving them there.

Plan B for testing is Beeper MD at the hotel Tuesday - but we sail Wednesday so i'd prefer not to leave it until then.  I may add a Plan C with Omicron!!

27 minutes ago, kearney said:

I did a quick check..there appear to be 3 CVS locations in that general area that do the rapid tests. Earliest times are around 8:50- 9:00. It is possible Walgreens does that they of testing now..but a few weeks ago this was not available in our area.

Something else I did was put together a list of places where I could do a walkin... as a backup should something happen. I thought of ordering the home test but once I got an appointment two weeks in advance and found 3 other locations I could easily get to I did not bother.

Now I will warn you...post cruise DH developed cold symptoms.. I made appointment for him to get tested at a local county run drive through..it took him 2 hours before he could get to the front of the line and we did not get results for about 8 hours... this was just this past week.. What a difference 3 weeks and Omicron makes

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 12.22.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 12.22.09 PM.png

That's fantastic!!  thanks so much for all this intel - you're making my life a little easier.  🥰

3 minutes ago, melbrook said:

Plan B for testing is Beeper MD at the hotel Tuesday - but we sail Wednesday so i'd prefer not to leave it until then.  I may add a Plan C with Omicron!!

Will you be in Orlando or Fort Lauderdale the day before your cruise? 

4 minutes ago, marieps said:

We use Park N Fly, 2700 7th Avenue.  Very easy and a AAA discount.  You will get a survey on the app asking when you want do depart.  Even if they give you luggage tags, don't fret about it.  You'll line up at the theatre (Deck 5, not 4) and snake from the starboard side to the port side to disembark.  At Pier 29 the off site parking shuttles pick up across from the drop off curb on the other side of the crosswalk.  We just did it two weeks ago.  Enjoy!!

It's been years since we self disembarked (did it a few times after they lost ALL our luggage) did you find a lot of people used that option?  My celebrity experience seems to be most use the luggage tag service and collect it off the ship.  When we sailed with NCL a ton self carried and getting an elevator was a nightmare with all the bags.  Back then we just did the stairs with our bags...now I don't think I would make it.  🙄😷  I also have to remember there will be a lot less people on board so this will likely be unlike a cruise i have ever been on.  Our last cruise was this same ship/itinerary in Jan/2020