Life and Live from Koningsdam on her New Year's cruise 26 Dec 21 - 02 Jan 22

Copper10-8

I wondered how long you’d be able to stay away from a Dam ship!  Thanks for dragging us in your luggage; I can’t wait to hear all about it.

Merry Christmas to you and your lovely child bride!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas and peace to all and thanks for the bon voyages! Got our Covid results electronically sent overnight and, as expected, they were negatory on both 🧐, so we will be good to go to tomorrow enroute to the city of the Padres and K-dam. Looking very much forward to it and a "broodje kroket" for lunch in the Grand Dutch Cafe 😊

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Merry Christmas and peace to all and thanks for the bon voyages! Got our Covid results electronically sent overnight and, as expected, they were negatory on both 🧐, so we will be good to go to tomorrow enroute to the city of the Padres and K-dam. Looking very much forward to it and a "broodje kroket" for lunch in the Grand Dutch Cafe 😊

I hope they’ll have it on the ship now.  I wanted to have in on my last day on the cruise which was November 20, 2021 and they said they didn’t get their delivery of Dutch treats.  I’m assuming that meant bitterballen too.  Since it’s been over a month hopefully all is good now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Have a wonderful cruise!  Would love to read about your adventures in the Grand Dutch Cafe.  Your top picks will be assiduously recorded for future reference :) 

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Ja lekker he jongen Kroketje , poffertjes en Bosche Bollen !  I can taste it already !

Enjoy your cruise ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Ja lekker he jongen Kroketje , poffertjes en Bosche Bollen !  I can taste it already !

Enjoy your cruise ! 

Will definitely do! I am planning on driving back to San Diego on the morning of your Feb cruise to see you off in front of the terminal! Gives us a chance to finally meet up and shake hands / pump fists 😉 

Fist Pump Pictures | Download Free Images on Unsplash

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I hope they’ll have it on the ship now.  I wanted to have in on my last day on the cruise which was November 20, 2021 and they said they didn’t get their delivery of Dutch treats.  I’m assuming that meant bitterballen too.  Since it’s been over a month hopefully all is good now.

Are there any ingredients in bitterballen that would not normally be found in the galley?

2 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Are there any ingredients in bitterballen that would not normally be found in the galley?

That's what I'm wondering.  I would have thought they were made on board but I guess not.  I've read recipes before and they sound like a bit of work so maybe it's more the labor involved.  It was surprising really.

33 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That's what I'm wondering.  I would have thought they were made on board but I guess not.  I've read recipes before and they sound like a bit of work so maybe it's more the labor involved.  It was surprising really.

"Bitterballen" are very similar to "Kroketten" as far as making them from scratch. It's been my experience that both are made on board by the sous-chefs and asst. chefs on a regular basis for gatherings, crew lunches in the "Dirty Mess," along with "frikandellen" and other Dutch delicacies with the caveat that all this was "pre-Covid"   

https://www.thespruceeats.com/beef-bitterballen-recipe-1129015

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

"Bitterballen" are very similar to "Kroketten" as far as making them from scratch. It's been my experience that both are made on board by the sous-chefs and asst. chefs on a regular basis for gatherings, crew lunches in the "Dirty Mess," along with "frikandellen" and other Dutch delicacies with the caveat that all this was "pre-Covid"   

Thanks for the recipe. I ate them each day of the 4 days I stayed in IJmuiden in between cruises.. I never knew exactly what was in them.  [I have food allergies and I did inquire before eating.]

Bon voyage and you two have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes they are definitely similar.  I did ask right at the Dutch cafe so it wasn't a random person passing by that I asked.  The food that I had there was disappointing.  I had a cheese and ham sandwich and pea soup.  It took a long time to get them and they were lukewarm.  

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to reading about your week on Koningsdam, and  comparing it to our experience during our 4 weeks on board.  On December 12,  we left the Koningsdam in the good hands of Captain Henk Draper, Staff Captain Sabine, and of course her wonderful crew.  

Bon Voyage and safe travels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Looking forward to reading about your week on Koningsdam, and  comparing it to our experience during our 4 weeks on board.  On December 12,  we left the Koningsdam in the good hands of Captain Henk Draper, Staff Captain Sabine, and of course her wonderful crew.  

Bon Voyage and safe travels.

I was very happy to hear that Sabine - No doubt, HAL's future first female captain - is assigned to K-dam. We worked together when she was 2/O on Noordam a few years back and have already talked about doing some catching up this coming week

• Like 6