Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

2 hours ago, ldpetrillo said:

At least you were allowed in port. We are anchored out. We are tested every day and have a fully certified laboratory on board. Evidently Israel has a stake in the testing company. 

But we lost all the long tours … and we are still on the ship, awaiting clearance now.  Hopefully, today’s debacle means an easier time in Haifa the next two days.  Fingers crossed you have an easier time.

14 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I've been enjoying your adventures.  Thanks for blogging.  I believe you're now in Ashdod, where I hope to be in another month on another cruise line.  However, the other cruise line doesn't do their own testing, and the people on the cruise were told that they would have to be tested by Israeli representatives when they docked as part of Israel's entry requirements.  I am hoping, but not expecting, that this testing requirement will be dropped by the time I get to Israel on my cruise.  However, I was wondering if you and other Viking Star cruisers ran into the same situation.  I don't mind being tested, but the testing was expected to take a half day away from their time in Israel, which threw a monkey wrench in some people's plans. 

Many people on Viking aren't crazy about the daily testing, but in this case I think it might be a great thing as you may be able to get off the ship faster than cruisers on another line.  So I'd love to hear if there were any hiccups or restrictions as a result of entry requirements in Israel.  I'm also curious if there is a shuttle in Ashdod (and in Haifa, assuming you go there the next day).  And are there any restrictions against going off on your own in either port, either on a non-ship excursion or just to walk around?  There has only been one or two cruise ships visiting Israel since the restart of cruising, so I'm trying to get an idea of what I might face when I (hopefully) get there.

And just as a comment: Viking usually has great Wifi for a ship at sea, but of course it depends upon how many people are using it, what they're doing with it, and where in the world they are at the time.  But I found the best place to go to get fast wifi was down in the living room on the Viking computers rather than in my room.  And I like the printers too....

We arrived in Ashdod this morning, well off the coast, but had to stay away until PCR testers from Israel came on board to test all of us. This is completed. Hopefully the Israeli testing will not somehow show positives for any of us as we have been tested by Viking daily. Israel swabbed the throat and nose.  Viking does a saliva test. We should be all allowed on shore tomorrow morning. It is really too bad that we had to waste the day (well, change it into a sea day) for this, but that is the way it is. Looking forward to Jerusalem tomorrow.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

We arrived in Ashdod this morning, well off the coast, but had to stay away until PCR testers from Israel came on board to test all of us. This is completed. Hopefully the Israeli testing will not somehow show positives for any of us as we have been tested by Viking daily. Israel swabbed the throat and nose.  Viking does a saliva test. We should be all allowed on shore tomorrow morning. It is really too bad that we had to waste the day (well, change it into a sea day) for this, but that is the way it is. Looking forward to Jerusalem tomorrow.

Thank you for replying. Yes, I see (Marine Traffic) that you're off the coast of Ashdod, and that today Norwegian Jade and Oceania Insignia are there at the port.  Insignia came in very early today and if lucky, might get off the ship some time in the afternoon.  Jade arrived earlier; I assume she's having to wait as well, but I have no way of knowing.  Hopefully everyone will be found to be negative.   Both ships are scheduled to be in Haifa tomorrow, so perhaps leaving tonight. For my particular cruise, Israel is the big draw of a two week cruise, so no doubt the testing will be disappointing, stressful and perhaps even cruise-ending for some people.  But as you say, that's the way it is right now.   

On 4/5/2022 at 9:46 PM, millybess said:

With regard to armed guards or soldiers on the street, as a previous resident in the Mid East, one learned after a while to worry more about not seeing them rather than seeing them. Their absence would mean there was something happening that was much more threatening. 

We've seen armed police in Athens and also on an island in Columbia. No big deal to us. 

OK, sorry, but I'm afraid I'm a little confused.  JM015, you're on Star right now, and your testing was or is being done on your Ashdod day, where you waited on the ship, off shore, since there was either a crane blocking dock space or the two other cruise ships and the crane taking up docking space.  Is that correct?  

Who has the 296 passengers on board - Star?

Who is the other poster who responded about being at the dock, tested and then going to the terminal to do immigration procedures?  Is that someone from Insignia or Jade?  With a full ship?

And for both cruises, did the testing take a whole day off of your time in Ashdod, or half, or 2/3rds, or what?   And do you know if anybody tested positive by Israeli testers and whether they were put into isolation on the ship or ashore?

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

OK, sorry, but I'm afraid I'm a little confused.  JM015, you're on Star right now, and your testing was or is being done on your Ashdod day, where you waited on the ship, off shore, since there was either a crane blocking dock space or the two other cruise ships and the crane taking up docking space.  Is that correct?  

Who is the other poster who responded about being at the dock, tested and then going to the terminal to do immigration procedures?  Is that someone from Insignia or Jade?  With a full ship?

And for both cruises, did the testing take a whole day off of your time in Ashdod, or half, or 2/3rds, or what?   And do you know if anybody tested positive by Israeli testers and whether they were put into isolation on the ship or ashore?

Thanks. 

I was the one posting about being on Oceania and in port in Ashdod.  We did, in fact see Star out in the harbor.

We arrived on Insignia at 6:00a … Jade apparently arrived at 3:00a.  The swabbing piece was easy … on Insignia it started shortly after 6:00a and was done in about 3 hours for 286 pax.  But getting the results and clearing the ship didn’t happen until shortly before 3:00p.  I have no idea when Jade got cleared, but they started their testing way earlier than we did…no idea how many on that ship.

We were told by the Israeli authorities the process could take up to 6 hours, so all long tours were canceled days ago.  The short tours took off about 2 hours late, stopped at the terminal to clear immigration, and continued on.  There was also a complimentary shuttle offered by Oceania to the Sea Mall near the Marina if people wanted to go there.

By the way, everyone had to go through immigration regardless of whether they intended to leave the ship.  We were supposed to be berthed at the terminal, but apparently some crane was blocking the way.  That just complicated matters today.

Edited by 2552phxcrzr

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thanks. 

We are in Ashdod for two days. All our tours are tomorrow. 

Years ago, we spent a week in Israel on our own (Jerusalem and Haifa). I remember getting off at the “Ammunition Hill” tram stop in Jerusalem to walk to our B&B. I recall the loving couple walking hand-in-hand nearby while shouldering their assault rifles. And I remember the Israeli soldier, on our bus trip to Haifa, who positioned his rifle such that it pointed at me the entire time. Fond memories, all.

Israel is a fascinating country in many respects, and we’re glad we went, but a week was quite enough for us.

14 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Our new Cruise Director, Kate, just informed us this morning in Ashdod that the Israeli authorities have confirmed ZERO cases of Covid on board! That is great news! We look forward to visiting Jerusalem today.

• Like 6

Kate was our cruise director on the Jupiter before she was off to join all of you! I think you will find her charming, organized and great fun!!!  Watch her RUN in the high heels and long dresses!

Please tell her that Dee and Pat Clark say HI!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:

Wow, just wow

Haha, amazing what you hear on the bus.  We were on a bus heading into Mumbai and a voice from the back asked if we were going to see Bombay.  A retired teacher no less.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, amazing what you hear on the bus.  We were on a bus heading into Mumbai and a voice from the back asked if we were going to see Bombay.  A retired teacher no less.....

At one of our stops, we had a walking tour that left right from the pier. It was described as a three hour walking tour. Right before the tour started, one of the guests asked the tour guide, "Will we actually be walking for all three hours?"  Seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:

At one of our stops, we had a walking tour that left right from the pier. It was described as a three hour walking tour. Right before the tour started, one of the guests asked the tour guide, "Will we actually be walking for all three hours?"  Seriously.

Amazing how clueless some people are.  Granted some tour descriptions could be better but a walking tour is just that and the duration is always stated.  

16 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:

You can't make this stuff up! People are hilarious. When we went to the American Cemetery at Normandy we had a guy ask at the visitor center where you picked up your maps where the gift shop was. The gal at the desk said "Sir you do understand this is a cemetery. Unbelievable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DJVKN said:

You can't make this stuff up! People are hilarious. When we went to the American Cemetery at Normandy we had a guy ask at the visitor center where you picked up your maps where the gift shop was. The gal at the desk said "Sir you do understand this is a cemetery. Unbelievable.

I think this could’ve been me. Actually, most of these could’ve been me. My poor husband.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2