Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

Thanks for your interesting blog post.  Wow!  Saudi sounds rough.  Saudis can come to the US and do anything they please including some terrible things we all remember but us, we have to jump through all those hoops and restrictions and you can't even hold your Wife's hand??  For my money I think I will not waste my time in Saudi.

So the person who tested positive is quarantined for 10 days, and their (3? 4?) close contacts — who have tested negative thus far — are quarantined for 5 days. Wow. 

Makes you want to avoid other passengers if you can end up in quarantine even when testing negative. What a shame. 

Looking forward to hearing about Saudi Arabia. Though there’s no way I’d want to give them any access to info on my cell phone. I guess I’d bring a backup phone if I ever visited there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Barring actual illness, on any other cruise line these passengers would not be interred and deprived of days of their voyage,  Not sure this is getting "better".

I assume you mean interned or quarantined. “Interred” means buried. 

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2022 at 2:03 PM, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 94/152 - Sea Day - The Red Sea, COVID is back, and your wish is my command

Garry, Thank you for the tour of the exercise facility.  It's helpful to see what equipment is available.  BTW we've just spent the month of March in your home town - The Villages.  

• Like 1

Will Ship's Captain be allowing passengers on your cruise to go maskless starting April 1? 

I ask since your cruise started well before April 1 and Viking's recent letter only addressed removing mask requirement on cruises which start on or after April 1.  It would be a shame to be masked for the remainder of your cruise due to a technical requirement.

3 minutes ago, prunderw said:

Will Ship's Captain be allowing passengers on your cruise to go maskless starting April 1? 

I ask since your cruise started well before April 1 and Viking's recent letter only addressed removing mask requirement on cruises which start on or after April 1.  It would be a shame to be masked for the remainder of your cruise due to a technical requirement.

Nobody will know the accurate answer to that question until April 1. Since we have picked up our first COVID case since Uruguay, and since we didn't commence on/after April 1, I expect that the mandate will remain in place. But, like everyone else that may answer this, unless they're Viking Corporate, we will all just be speculating 

24 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:

World Cruise Day 96/152 - Jeddah, Saudi Arabia - Clean, mostly welcoming, and a pain in the keister to get into

https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/03/world-cruise-day-96152-jeddah-saudi.html

As you predicted, by the time that you reach the eastern point in your journey that I, on the west coast of North America would read your daily blog at breakfast.  Not quite, but I did read it before noon!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

World Cruise Day 96/152 - Jeddah, Saudi Arabia - Clean, mostly welcoming, and a pain in the keister to get into

https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/03/world-cruise-day-96152-jeddah-saudi.html

Fascinating. I rarely hear from people who have visited Saudi Arabia, so this is all quite interesting. Jeddah looks scorchingly hot. And surprisingly empty.

Jeddah put in a bid to host the next America's Cup.  The mind boggles at this.  Sailors wear shorts, supporters wear shorts and revealing clothing.  Alcohol is a big part of celebrating winnings.  Sponsors of some boats are probably Beer, wine or spirit producers.  Kissing, hugging by men and women would play a big part when your boat won (or lost).  Sanity reigned and Barcelona is the host.  New Zealand is taking the Americas Cup  off shore for monetary reasons,  a lot of unhappy New Zealanders .

• Like 1

Really enjoyed reading the blogs today about the visits to Jeddah.  DW and I lived in KSA for four years in the late 70’s, while I was with the oil company.  It’s amazing that the country is open to tourists!  I never thought it would happen.

As folks have stated previously, the Kingdom has only recently started their tourism industry.  Under the leadership of the crown prince, MBS, this is one of a legion of changes that have recently occurred there.  They still have a long way to go in their journey.  So it’s best to visit with an open mind, like those who have shared their experiences seem to have.

• Like 1

thanks for the report on Jeddah , I would pass on any   excursion at port  stop at Jeddah.

I have been to Islamic countries, Turkey and Morocco.  I do not need to see Saudi Arabia.  

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Fascinating. I rarely hear from people who have visited Saudi Arabia, so this is all quite interesting. Jeddah looks scorchingly hot. And surprisingly empty.

The photos are from the old city. The main roads were jammed 

• Like 1

Quite the experience.  I noticed the women wearing hats instead of scarves which I would find more acceptable. I did wear a scarf in some of the churches in Europe as well as kept my shoulders and knees covered.  

I would not like the fingerprinting and phone app.  What if you just didn’t carry a phone or is this not allowed? 

11 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Quite the experience.  I noticed the women wearing hats instead of scarves which I would find more acceptable. I did wear a scarf in some of the churches in Europe as well as kept my shoulders and knees covered.  

I would not like the fingerprinting and phone app.  What if you just didn’t carry a phone or is this not allowed? 

No phone?  Off with one of your fingers!🍸

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I would not like the fingerprinting

I have been fingerprinted and photographed whenever I entered the USA, from what I've been told it is the same entering Australia on a foreign passport and at Haneda Airport Japan I was fingerprinted once (for some reason no fingerprinting at Narita🤷‍♀️) . I have heard quite a few countries are doing fingerprinting on arrival now, I think it is becoming more common.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have been fingerprinted and photographed whenever I entered the USA, from what I've been told it is the same entering Australia on a foreign passport and at Haneda Airport Japan I was fingerprinted once (for some reason no fingerprinting at Narita🤷‍♀️) . I have heard quite a few countries are doing fingerprinting on arrival now, I think it is becoming more common.  

The US fingerprints tourists from other countries?? I had no idea. I don’t think I’ve ever been fingerprinted when traveling.