Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

On 2/15/2022 at 8:24 AM, JM0115 said:

Thoughts on the Star. @GKTV32162 is keeping all of you much better informed than I could but I am adding some random information for future WCers. First, the average age on this WC is far higher than on any other Viking cruise I have been on. Probably the average is mid-70’s or so. This leads to mobility issues for some of the guests which leads to slowness on and off the buses during excursions. I’m also surprised that some of the people seem to sleep through the entire excursion which seems to me to be sad. But it is their choice of course. Another thing related to average age is the music played on this ship. The genre is 50s, 60s, and 70s up to around ‘74. Almost nothing late 70s or 80s or beyond. We are going to put in some requests for some early 80s music and see what happens. We love the Viking band and the singers are quite entertaining too. Lastly for now, given the food choices we are offered including Tomahawk steak night last night I don’t know how past and present cruisers keep the pounds off! Oh well, a hardship I have to face 😀.

Curious of your age.

This cruise is my bucket list...we are mid-late 50s. 

I would sure like to hear music beyond early 70s!

1 hour ago, GKTV32162 said:

I'll weigh in. I concur with @JM0115 and his assessment. We are  62/61 as of December.

I suspect it will be a few years before we do this...

I suppose as we all get older, the music should match the crowd?

(Heck, my mother loved her some Lourde! She enjoyed music from all decades thanks to children & grandchildren running the radio)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, millybess said:

https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/02/world-cruise-day-67152-funchal-madeira.html

The "h" at the beginning is missing.  Funchal looks like a lot of fun and very beautiful!  Thanks.

Beat me to it!  Love the video.  We have always wanted to sled but since we aren’t petite flowers have always thought it might be a bit much (or the tip would cost us too much)😂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, millybess said:

https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/02/world-cruise-day-67152-funchal-madeira.html

The "h" at the beginning is missing.  Funchal looks like a lot of fun and very beautiful!  Thanks.

For some reason, CC won't let me edit the post or I'd fix it!  Sorry about that and thanks for pointing it out.  If I can ever edit, I'll fix it.

5 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Beat me to it!  Love the video.  We have always wanted to sled but since we aren’t petite flowers have always thought it might be a bit much (or the tip would cost us too much)😂

CC won't let me edit the post 😞

And, in case you can't tell from the photo, my lovely wife, while slim, is 5'10".  I'm 5'11" and somewhat wider. 🙂

We fit with no issue, and...they owed us a tip as we certainly made gravity more of a factor so they didn't have to push as hard!  😉 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

World Cruise Day 67/152 - Funchal, Madeira (Portugal, sort of) - We put the FUN in Funchal!

ttps://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/2022/02/world-cruise-day-67152-funchal-madeira.html

Funchal is now on my Wish List. Thank you for sharing. Absolutely beautiful. Your blog is outstanding. 

1 hour ago, PeabodyMa said:

Funchal is now on my Wish List. Thank you for sharing. Absolutely beautiful. Your blog is outstanding. 

Funchal is a regular port of call for us European cruisers. It’s a lovely place and well worth a visit 

• Thanks 1

I don’t quite know where to post this, but on our 2019 WC I celebrated my birthday 3 years ago today.  So I guess that’s how they knew, but today I got a personalized birthday card from Viking.  Now that’s something!  Definitely good PR!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I don’t quite know where to post this, but on our 2019 WC I celebrated my birthday 3 years ago today.  So I guess that’s how they knew, but today I got a personalized birthday card from Viking.  Now that’s something!  Definitely good PR!

So, I have never celebrated a birthday on a Viking ship, and yet I got a personalized e-card this evening, as well.  (Happy birthday, btw!)

47 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Happy Birthday !

Just now, SantaFe1 said:

Thank you.  Haven’t heard from you lately.  Hope you are enjoying the cruise.  

Unfortunately , we had to get off in Puerto Vallarta because my husband tripped and fell in the WC 😬. Viking medical arranged for him to see an orthopedic doctor there so I checked him into the hospital and myself into an all inclusive hotel about 5 minutes from the hospital . He had surgery and we had to stay in PV  about a total of 10 days before flying home to DFW . Not the way I planned on spending the first 4 months of the year .

now I am hoping that he will be OK to travel in June when we have a Greek Is.es trip with his sister and brother in law.  On the plus side , we were home when our first grandchild was born last Saturday 🥰

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Unfortunately , we had to get off in Puerto Vallarta because my husband tripped and fell in the WC 😬. Viking medical arranged for him to see an orthopedic doctor there so I checked him into the hospital and myself into an all inclusive hotel about 5 minutes from the hospital . He had surgery and we had to stay in PV  about a total of 10 days before flying home to DFW . Not the way I planned on spending the first 4 months of the year .

now I am hoping that he will be OK to travel in June when we have a Greek Is.es trip with his sister and brother in law.  On the plus side , we were home when our first grandchild was born last Saturday 🥰

I am SO sorry to hear this.  But glad you are home, have a new grandchild, and I have my fingers crossed for your next trip!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I am SO sorry to hear this.  But glad you are home, have a new grandchild, and I have my fingers crossed for your next trip!

Thanks . It took awhile before I could start reading the blogs that are posted as it was a bit depressing but now I am living vicariously thru the two blogs posted here and another one that I get via email.  Going down to San Antonio next week to meet our grandson 😀 and have started looking for a Viking trip for later this year.  We are booked in August 2023 on the Saturn from Bergen to NY .

• Like 1