Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

9 hours ago, Azulann said:

The food  on this WC sounds so very good and unique . I wonder if this is only on the WC?   does the chef on board, have the power to make what he want for theme menus? 

I love the food on Viking but I have never seen octopus!

Octopus was served at some point on our 3 week December/January cruise - as an almost vegetarian I declined the chance to try it.

• Thanks 1

Now that you are in an area where you can take excursions pretty often, is it easy to get the excursions you want.  I get the picture that you select the excursions for a week or so at one time.  I am to be in DV5 so am curious if that level still has a good choice and is it done by cabin level. 

I have been following 3 bloggers on the world cruise and wonder how long, how many hours a day is expended doing the blog.  

Thank you in advance for any info.  

Kolbs, I am wondering about the "heated" vest!  sounds like what I need for Michigan winters!!  We rounded the "horn" yesterday on the Jupiter so we are following you a few weeks behind.  No Rio or any Brazilian ports or those in Africa.  But the replacements are good!!!

Thanks once again for the blogs everyone...such fond memories of our WC.

7 hours ago, deec said:

Kolbs, I am wondering about the "heated" vest!  sounds like what I need for Michigan winters!!  We rounded the "horn" yesterday on the Jupiter so we are following you a few weeks behind.  No Rio or any Brazilian ports or those in Africa.  But the replacements are good!!!

Here's the one I have  - they offer ladies versions and that's what Arlona has - they're great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSWBNB4/

Safe travels!

8 hours ago, annxstitch said:

Now that you are in an area where you can take excursions pretty often, is it easy to get the excursions you want.  I get the picture that you select the excursions for a week or so at one time.  I am to be in DV5 so am curious if that level still has a good choice and is it done by cabin level. 

I have been following 3 bloggers on the world cruise and wonder how long, how many hours a day is expended doing the blog.  

Thank you in advance for any info.  

Again, I can't answer as this isn't working the typical Viking way.  On a typical Viking sailing, the OS gets first crack, then the ES, then the PJ, then the PV.  After that, the DV gets it and then the V.  Those two classes make up have of the rooms, so when the DV gets to book, less than half the excursion capacity will be gone. All DV get it at the same time, so no distinction between a DV1 & DV6.

As for blogging, there is no answer to how long it takes - that's entirely up to you and how much work/detail you choose to include.  I take an hour to two each day - more when the internet sucks like it has been on this trip.  If it is a photo-heavy day, it might take more.  I'm sure other bloggers (Rose) might take longer as she adds much more detail than I do.  That's why I say it is all up to you and what you want to do.  I'm trying to preserve the memories more than provide tons of in-depth historical documentation.  Rose lives for history and absolutely loves it so it makes sense she spends more time documenting all of it as that is her passion.  You'll discover your style and develop your own rhythm and then you'll know how long it will take.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, deec said:

Not Kolbs, but I have a heated vest that is a life-saver.  I use it way more than a normal person, I think, since I'm always cold.  You can adjust the heat level between 25, 50, 75, and 100 percent.  The heating elements are in the upper front and upper back.  It runs on a battery, which lasts a fair amount of time - couple of hours - even using it at 100%.   We keep a spare battery on hand, as well, which I usually have in one of the pockets.  It's relatively lightweight, as well.  I can't make the link work, but mine originated as motorcycle gear, and the grand is Gerbing.  I just found it when I googled it, so shouldn't be too difficult.  We took it on our In the Wake of the Vikings cruise, and I used it a lot, even though we had great weather for that particular crossing.  Worth every penny, in my opinion.   

Sorry for the momentary thread highjack!

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in on the "Heated Vest" question. You will find a variety of heated wear by Milwaukee tools, they are intended as work wear but the one I bought my wife is plain black and doesn't look like a work jacket. these are widely available and made tough enough for work.

• Like 1

Petra Sunday April 3rd (first of two days the Viking Star will be in Aqaba)

The tour is arranged with Jordan Horizons Tours (I have arranged tours with them before).

Basically, we leave as soon as possible after the ship docks at 8am - travel to Petra - pick up our packed lunch and head down to the treasury with a guide.  Then spend time in Petra until 6pm where our driver will take us back to the ship.  A long day but for those who would like to spend more time in Petra and not have to rush.  The ship's tour will be in Petra for 3 hours - this one for over 7 hours.

The cost is $175 US for  9 to 16 people - less if more come. Payable on the day.

For more detailed information and booking information see https://www.cognitoforms.com/JHT8/KenHodsonPetraShoreExcursionSunday3rdApril

You can contact me on kenhodson1 at gmail dot com

22 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 76/152 - Valletta, Malta - Our halfway point

Thank you for this post and the Cagliari one.  We were at both ports in October during our Malta/Barcelona cruise on Venus.  You saw many of the same places, and some new ones.  Wonderful memories thank you so much for your blog and detailed posts.  

• Like 2

Possibly what you’re seeing being towed is a fishing weir. We spend part of every summer in Nova Scotia and we quite often see something similar. It’s used to catch fish in flowing waters, for example, in the Bay of Fundy. That’s what came to my mind when you questioned it.  Maybe someone else has a different idea. 

3 hours ago, millybess said:

Possibly what you’re seeing being towed is a fishing weir. We spend part of every summer in Nova Scotia and we quite often see something similar. It’s used to catch fish in flowing waters, for example, in the Bay of Fundy. That’s what came to my mind when you questioned it.  Maybe someone else has a different idea. 

Looks like the farmed fish pens we have on the West Coast. Ours are mostly Salmon, but they probably farm other species in Malta.

Bravo to Viking and the guests on the WC in showing support to the 11 Ukrainian crew entertainers on board.

https://roseandtedsexcellentadventure.com/2022/03/11/episode-219-lectures-in-the-ionian-sea/

Now that you are in the Med. I would expect that you will see more military  ships. They are also some you will never see, below the water. 

On a previous cruise, we docked in Souda Bay, Crete home of NATO fleet. Our guide for the day told us all about the ships  in the bay during the  war in  Libya. Crete is very close to North Africa. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 10:49 PM, millybess said:

We saw several of those contraptions in the fjords of Norway either being towed or sitting in place.  We were told they were fishing weirs.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

We saw several of those contraptions in the fjords of Norway either being towed or sitting in place.  We were told they were fishing weirs.

We will be in Norway in May and I look forward to seeing them.  They're interesting to watch.  The fish just swim round and round and if the fisher people don't get back to them soon enough, the seals have a heyday.  

4 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 79/152 - Corfu, Greece - I can see Albania from here

New Fort Smell... I almost spit out my coffee, 🙂   Thanks for letting us "armchair travel" with you both on this great adventure! 

• Haha 6

On 3/10/2022 at 10:55 AM, deec said:

thanks for vest information!!! 

I also love Kolb's blog and just bought a vest on sale on amazon. I am always cold, so that will be a life-saver for me on my upcoming WC's. I am just amazed what you all can learn on CC, so far I picked up luggage-shipping, day-use hotels and now the heated vest 🥰