New Tier between Platinum Plus and Ambassador starting Jan 2022

fstuff1

20 hours ago, casofilia said:

@TrumpyNor

When you received your "upgrade" offer did you lose the 60 minutes Internet time?

I too would like to know if a year is "booking" or "sailing.   The term used is "REDEEM".   To me that means you have to take up the offer within a year NOT to use it in that time.

I think you're correct, Mike.

20 hours ago, casofilia said:

@TrumpyNor

Reading your post I see you did your upgrade through your PCC.   

I'm sure that I read that someone who had gone through the 1-866 # was able to "discuss" with the person in NCL the actual cabin availability.   If that is the case I would have the ship plan in front of me BEFORE I even dialed the 1-866 #   (Using SKYPE from NZ!!)

I am holding off doing anything for us till there are more people who have maintained the 60 minutes WiFi and also more who have been able to confirm they were able to discuss placement

Yes I definitely had the deck plan open in one window, our previous cruise confirmation in another, and the new Latitudes terms and conditions open in another window.  I may have seemed a bit pushy to the rep who answered my call, but I did want to make certain that we got an upgrade to a cabin of my choosing or else they should just cancel the upgrade request and we would start over.  BTW, the trick about using the Diamond upgrade on the Epic to go from Inside to Balcony sounds great, but I'm not sure it will fly, or as we say in Texas, that dog won't hunt.  NCL probably will disallow a double meta upgrade.  On the other hand, I think that using it to go from a Balcony to a Club will avoid some of the problems that have been expressed on this thread.  I agree that going from an upper deck Inside to a lower deck Ocean View isn't much of an upgrade, at all.  It looks like the free 60 minutes of internet will disappear whether you alter your reservation or not.  The FAQ quoted in a previous post seems to be definitive on that point.

17 hours ago, HugeMuscleGeek said:

Here’s the handout the Latitudes / CruiseNext desk is giving out on the Epic as of today (Jan 14). Not showing boarding privileges. 

NCL New Latitudes Benefits Handout.pdf 547.95 kB · 32 downloads

That seems to be a copy of NCL's "first draft" of the T&C.  The website has an updated version in which both check-in and boarding priority perks have been restored to the list.

1 hour ago, kjquilts said:

(above was regarding Ambassador upgrade perk)  I have 299 points with 21 points coming from May Bliss cruise so am watching with interest.  One 10 day cruise on the Spirit this fall would put me at Ambassador (currently latitude perk triple points for some Alaska cruises).  Question is will the Spirit actually make it to Seattle to do the Alaska cruises ???

*   I don't think this would work.  NCL "charges" 60,000 WorldPoint points earned from BAC Mastercard to go from inside stateroom on Epic to balcony stateroom.  There is no option for 30,000 point Cross Meta or Single Meta upgrade on the Epic.  On the ships with oceanview staterooms you can use 30,000 points to go from inside to oceanview or from oceanview to balcony category. 

It sounds like if you want to go from inside to oceanview or oceanview to balcony via Ambassador one time upgrade perk you should book the higher end or towards higher end of category you are booking to avoid less desirable stateroom in the category you are upgrading to. 

I think you must mean Diamond, not Ambassador.  It still takes 700 points to reach Ambassador.  Your 320 points after your May Bliss cruise will still leave you 30 points short of Diamond.  Your triple-point 10 day Spirit cruise will get you to Diamond, when you will receive the opportunity to upgrade your room on one cruise during the coming 12 months.  Rack up another 350 points to reach Ambassador and you will be eligible for complimentary fare for an Inside stateroom on a seven day cruise of your choice, subject to availability and upon you paying for all taxes, fees, gratuities, etc.

22 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I think you must mean Diamond, not Ambassador.  It still takes 700 points to reach Ambassador.  Your 320 points after your May Bliss cruise will still leave you 30 points short of Diamond.  Your triple-point 10 day Spirit cruise will get you to Diamond, when you will receive the opportunity to upgrade your room on one cruise during the coming 12 months.  Rack up another 350 points to reach Ambassador and you will be eligible for complimentary fare for an Inside stateroom on a seven day cruise of your choice, subject to availability and upon you paying for all taxes, fees, gratuities, etc.

You are correct as was Casofilia.  At my age (73) won't live long enough to make Ambassador.

Pretty good shot at making Diamond 🙂

• Like 1

I would like to point out that the number of places on any cruise for "Dining with an Officer" is dependent on the number of officers willing to do it and the number of tables the ship is willing to make available.   Just because it is offered and that you have put your name down doesn't mean you will be successful

SHORE EXCURSION DISCOUNT

I have had more than one discussion with my PCC about being able or not able to book Shore Excursions WITHOUT paying for them before boarding.

In the old days it was allowed to RESERVE (book without paying) before boarding.   Then the situation changed and that situation was reversed, no booking without paying.

Today I was reading all the information in https://www.ncl.com/nz/en/latitudes-rewards-program/benefits-terms-and-conditions

It would appear that they have reverted to the situation of 2-3 years ago.   The actual statements are  TOTALLY UNAMBIGUOUS

If a guest pre-books a shore excursion before embarking on the cruise, the applicable discount will be applied on board. If a guest pre-pays for a shore excursion before embarking on the cruise, the applicable discount will be applied at the time of booking/payment.

The second sentence has "If a guest pre-pays ......." which clearly allows you (If...) to "pre-book" a shore excursion (sentence 1) and pay on board (sentence 2).

I have had another go at my PCC to have NCL allow me to "PRE-BOOK" our shore excursions and pay for them when on board as their Terms and Conditions state.

Looking forward to his reply!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Edited by casofilia
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, casofilia said:

SHORE EXCURSION DISCOUNT

I have had more than one discussion with my PCC about being able or not able to book Shore Excursions WITHOUT paying for them before boarding.

In the old days it was allowed to RESERVE (book without paying) before boarding.   Then the situation changed and that situation was reversed, no booking without paying.

Today I was reading all the information in https://www.ncl.com/nz/en/latitudes-rewards-program/benefits-terms-and-conditions

It would appear that they have reverted to the situation of 2-3 years ago.   The actual statements are  TOTALLY UNAMBIGUOUS

If a guest pre-books a shore excursion before embarking on the cruise, the applicable discount will be applied on board. If a guest pre-pays for a shore excursion before embarking on the cruise, the applicable discount will be applied at the time of booking/payment.

The second sentence has "If a guest pre-pays ......." which clearly allows you (If...) to "pre-book" a shore excursion (sentence 1) and pay on board (sentence 2).

I have had another go at my PCC to have NCL allow me to "PRE-BOOK" our shore excursions and pay for them when on board as their Terms and Conditions state.

Looking forward to his reply!!!!!!!!!

Mike

I saw that and thought they might have changed the policy - and I hope it is true - but I doubt it.

It is entirely possible that there are people who booked their cruises prior to the policy change (just prior to covid) and they would still be grandfathered into the terms of the free at sea excursion credit that were in place when they booked the cruise. 

But let us know what you find out.

@julig22

The change must have taken place either late 2019 or early 2020 as I have a Shore Excursion Confirmation email dated 12th Dec 2019 which has the tour names and dates but NO prices (that indicate that we hadn't paid just reserved).   

I do remember carrying a large quantity of USD bills to put on my account on board to pay for shorex on the two ill-fated Spirit South African (Mar 2020) cruises.   Then getting it all back when they were "cancelled".

The bottom of the email states  All shore excursions will be charged to your onboard account at the current rate of exchange.

Edited by casofilia

1 minute ago, casofilia said:

@julig22

The change must have taken place either late 2019 or early 2020 as I have a Shore Excursion Confirmation email dated 12th Dec 2019 which has the tour names and dates but NO prices (that indicate that we hadn't paid just reserved).   

I do remember carrying a large quantity of USD bills to put on my account on board to pay for shorex on the two ill-fated Spirit South African (Mar 2020) cruises.   Then getting it all back when they were "cancelled".

The US policy change happened in early 2020 (I'm thinking February) but was applied going forward - as I said, just before covid hit the cruise industry.  So as long as you booked your cruise before they changed the policy, you were able to reserve your excursions without paying, as long as you had the free at sea excursion credit (otherwise you always had to pre-pay in the US anyway).  It is possible that people still have existing 2022/2023 cruises booked under the old rules so would still be able to book without pre-paying.

I can't speak to whether NZ followed the same policies in the past, but the wording you posted seems to align with current US policies.

5 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@julig22

I have a cruise confirmation dated 19th May 2020 that includes the words, under Shore Excursions, "For complete tour descriptions and to pre-purchase, ........."     That implies to me that the change was before that,

??? Not sure what you are trying to say.  February 2020 is before May 2020

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

I would like to point out that the number of places on any cruise for "Dining with an Officer" is dependent on the number of officers willing to do it and the number of tables the ship is willing to make available.   Just because it is offered and that you have put your name down doesn't mean you will be successful

I think it has a lot more to do with how enthusiastically the GM embraces the whole concept.  We have had dinner with 24 different NCL officers, mostly senior officers but a few junior.  Most were happy to meet and mingle with passengers, but it was clear that a couple of them joined us for dinner only because they were instructed to be there.  The number of tables seems irrelevant, since most of those having dinner with an officer would otherwise ask for a table for two or for four, leaving the larger tables sitting idle.  The only times that we haven't had dinner with an officer since becoming Platinum Plus were our last two cruises when the benefit was suspended because of Covid protocols.  On a couple of cruises, in fact, the GM was so avid about the program that he invited us to have a second dinner with another officer a different evening during our cruise.

22 minutes ago, julig22 said:

??? Not sure what you are trying to say.  February 2020 is before May 2020

From a discussion at the time (comment 187):

"Just to let everyone know-  I just got off the phone with Shorex, if you booked your reservation before February 4th you can make a reservation for shore excursions without paying for them. If you booked after February 4th you have to pay for the excursions when you reserve them. "

9 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

I think it has a lot more to do with how enthusiastically the GM embraces the whole concept.  We have had dinner with 24 different NCL officers, mostly senior officers but a few junior.  Most were happy to meet and mingle with passengers, but it was clear that a couple of them joined us for dinner only because they were instructed to be there.  The number of tables seems irrelevant, since most of those having dinner with an officer would otherwise ask for a table for two or for four, leaving the larger tables sitting idle.  The only times that we haven't had dinner with an officer since becoming Platinum Plus were our last two cruises when the benefit was suspended because of Covid protocols.  On a couple of cruises, in fact, the GM was so avid about the program that he invited us to have a second dinner with another officer a different evening during our cruise.

I have never asked to do the dinner with officers, but have done it once when we received an invitation without requesting it. I assume that was the GM being enthusiastic.

7 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I have never asked to do the dinner with officers, but have done it once when we received an invitation without requesting it. I assume that was the GM being enthusiastic.

Prior to the current changes in the Latitudes program, NCL's most recent major change in the program rules took effect in February 2017.  That was when the Platinum Plus and Ambassador levels were created, and that was the first mention of "Dinner with an Officer" becoming a recognized perk for Platinum Plus and up.  There were occasions prior to that, probably going back many years, when a GM (or Hotel Director, as they were then known) invited a few passengers to join him for dinner.  It was only since February 2017, however, that this practice became part of the specified benefits awarded to frequent cruisers.  Also at that time, NCL specified that those P+ cruisers who wanted to take advantage of the perk would need to register at the Cruise Next Desk on embarkation day.  Once registered, a P+ Latitudes member could rest assured that they would receive a dinner invitation in a day or two, usually for dinner with a senior officer, but sometimes with a junior officer.  It also has been possible for other passengers to request dinner with an officer.  Non-P+ passengers would be put on a waiting list, and sometimes would be invited to join other P+ passengers a t dinner with an officer.  No guarantees for non-P+, but a possibility.  Of the more than a dozen cruises my wife and I have taken since becoming Platinum Plus, we have had dinner with one or more officers on every cruise prior to the Covid suspension of cruises.

I had suggested to my PCC that NCL should "Grandfather" all those with the 60 minutes "Free Internet Perk" and make any change starting from now.

Here is his reply:-

Yes that’s correct, the internet package has been forfeited in lieu of the new benefits which most people have seen as a great upgrade.
Especially the free upgrade, I think most people feel that far outweighs the cost of purchasing an internet package.

I immediately spotted the word FORFEIT.   The justification being placed on the whole of the new benefits!!!

I have replied that the NEW BENEFITS start with cruises that are booked from now and again that the old 60 minute "Free WiFi" benefit should be "Grandfathered".   

We booked "Sailaway" for three cruises solely because we got the Shore Excursion Credit which, with the Latitudes "60 minute "Free WiFi", covered all we needed in terms of benefits and it was cheaper than the "normal" cheapest booking.

Edited by casofilia
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, casofilia said:

I had suggested to my PCC that NCL should "Grandfather" all those with the 60 minutes "Free Internet Perk" and make any change starting from now.

Here is his reply:-

Yes that’s correct, the internet package has been forfeited in lieu of the new benefits which most people have seen as a great upgrade.
Especially the free upgrade, I think most people feel that far outweighs the cost of purchasing an internet package.

I immediately spotted the word FORFEIT.   The justification being placed on the whole of the new benefits!!!

I have replied that the NEW BENEFITS start with cruises that are booked from now and again that the old 60 minute "Free WiFi" benefit should be "Grandfathered".   

We booked "Sailaway" for three cruises solely because we got the Shore Excursion Credit which, with the Latitudes "60 minute "Free WiFi", covered all we needed in terms of benefits and it was cheaper than the "normal" cheapest booking.

Interesting the way they spin a "forfeit" into a benefit that "most people feel far outweighs" the previous perks.

Upgrade Package

I have just looked again at the T&C's.   Is this a change from what was in the original as it is what I found this morning?

Eligible members will have one (1) year to take the complimentary cabin upgrade after graduating to the Diamond tier.

I cannot find the original statement on here but I think that the word "TAKE" has replaced the word "REDEEM".

If so, NCL have, at least, paid attention to what has been said on CC and we, again, have done the work that the NCL's proof readers and cynics would have done if they had employed any.

=================================================

The Shore Excursion statements remain unchanged

They are again allowing us to "pre-book" (Reserve) shore excursions without having to pay!!!!   The above is completely unambiguous!!

I had not noticed the following previously

Discounts are eligible for pre-paid and/or pre-booked excursions.

Also confirming that there is no need to pay on booking.

================================

Edited by casofilia

3 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Upgrade Package

I have just looked again at the T&C's.   Is this a change from what was in the original as it is what I found this morning?

Eligible members will have one (1) year to take the complimentary cabin upgrade after graduating to the Diamond tier.

I cannot find the original statement on here but I think that the word "TAKE" has replaced the word "REDEEM".

If so, NCL have, at least, paid attention to what has been said on CC and we, again, have done the work that the NCL's proof readers and cynics would have done if they had employed any.

I thought that it said "take" previously. I think that you previously mentioned it saying redeem, but I don't recall seeing that myself.