Getting Covid on transatlantic cruise

Tablelamp

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

I am booked in a balcony cabin on a transatlantic cruise, stopping in New Orleans.  What will happen if I get Covid on the way to New Orleans?

I would think that you would be isolated in one of the cabins set aside until such time that you could be debarked to the appropriate facility on land. Another alternative is that you are isolated on the ship until such time that you give negative tests. I am assuming you are on a 35 night cruise with New Orleans being on the itinerary, N203? P&O haven't done such a long cruise since covid hit so nobody really knows, I haven't heard of anyone being taken off a ship in the Caribbean to isolate but that doesn't mean it won't happen. As you need to have had the booster jab to go on the Ventura 35 nighter preceding yours your chances of catching covid is reduced greatly, if you are on N203 it is likely that you will need to have had the booster to get aboard. Have you spoken to P&O about this? you may get a stock answer but I would think P&O have several plans in place. We were booked on the Ventura 35 nighter N201 but cancelled at balance due date, if I knew that should I catch covid I would be isolated on the ship as opposed to being debarked I would have taken the cruise, it is possible that some stops will be missed, however if you are going in February Omicron will be waning in many places so unless we get another impactive strain things may be better. If I was on N203, personally I would not be overly worried at this point, things will change, hopefully for the better, however I am not sure that will be the popular view with some others whose views are equally viable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Its too weak to be effectively detected by LFT at check-in, due to its lower viral load, its about containment. This is very much a turning point in the cruise industry's response to Covid. Do they have to move to rapid PCRs for departure testing? or do they accept that its weak enough to not present a strain on the ship's medical systems? 

People who have been sent to hotels in the Canary Islands do not seem to be suffering symptoms and are not appearing to be needing medical care. If  it is not a strain on the ships medical system and people are not off loaded from the ship , that would be a good result. Quarantine restrictions on the amount of days of isolation are being reduced in the uk. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

I would personally wait and see how N201 goes before getting concerned about N203. Given the current problems with the QM2 Christmas cruise, there is massive potential for changes before N203.

We're on N203.  Seven weeks to go, as you say lots can happen between now and then.  I'd already decided to be having a closer look at N201 via MarineTraffic and CC.  

There appears to be a lot of availability of balcony cabins on N203.  Suites were previously sold out, but one became available the other day.  Presumably someone cancelling/moving their booking.  There's more than one port call that we will not be bothered if we cannot go ashore.  However there are also several ports which hold a lot of interest for us, and are potentially one offs for us.  Our current plan is to wait and see. 🤞

Thanks for the updates and insights.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

People who have been sent to hotels in the Canary Islands do not seem to be suffering symptoms and are not appearing to be needing medical care. If  it is not a strain on the ships medical system and people are not off loaded from the ship , that would be a good result. Quarantine restrictions on the amount of days of isolation are being reduced in the uk. 

A pertinent observation. It is beginning to look like omicron, whilst being considerably more infectious than delta is also less lethal. I understand that it is not unusual for a virus to evolve in this way; it only exists to replicate, and cannot do this succesfully if it kills or severely incapacitates its host. The Spanish flu of a century ago evolved in this way, as did the Asian and Hong Kong strains of 1957 and 1968 which killed over 20000 and 30000 people in the UK respectively. And it may well be that provided that the death toll from covid reduces to a level similar to that from flu then we will have to learn to live with it as we do with influenza. As regards cruising, this probably means dealing with it in the same way that cruise ships deal with novavirus. Isolation of passengers in their own cabins, sensible protocols to reduce transmission, but nothing more.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 5

On 12/29/2021 at 6:48 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

We're on N203.  Seven weeks to go, as you say lots can happen between now and then.  I'd already decided to be having a closer look at N201 via MarineTraffic and CC.  

There appears to be a lot of availability of balcony cabins on N203.  Suites were previously sold out, but one became available the other day.  Presumably someone cancelling/moving their booking.  There's more than one port call that we will not be bothered if we cannot go ashore.  However there are also several ports which hold a lot of interest for us, and are potentially one offs for us.  Our current plan is to wait and see. 🤞

Thanks for the updates and insights.

Hopefully some of the passengers on N201 will have an opportunity to go online and post ' up to date' info on how things are going on board. It will be interesting to follow. R201N here.

• Like 2