Purchasing Specialty Dining on Board

I am considering waiting until we are on board to purchase specialty dining at Izumi and Giovanni’s. Right now Izumi is $45.99 and Giovanni’s is $39.99 in the cruise planner. Will I save any money by waiting until we are on the ship for either of these? The packages are sold out on the cruise planner.

We are going on a 3 Night on Freedom of the Seas- January 14-17, 2022

I believe (and I could be wrong) that when you buy in advance, the gratuity is included.  If you buy on the ship, then they add the 18% gratuity so you possibly save 18% by buying in advance.  If anyone can confirm that, please let me know.

If you wait until onboard you will find many of the specialty restaurants sold out.  Make your reservations for the duration as soon after you board as possible at one of the restaurants and they have access to each one’s reservation system. We reserved all seven nights this way. 

50 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

I believe (and I could be wrong) that when you buy in advance, the gratuity is included.  If you buy on the ship, then they add the 18% gratuity so you possibly save 18% by buying in advance.  If anyone can confirm that, please let me know.

That's correct.  I bought the UDP on Freedom back in September and didn't have the 18% tacked on.  I saved a lot by purchasing the package in advance -- the total cost of the UDP was less than just one time at Chops and Giovanni's Kitchen. However, the OP states that the packages are sold out.  

52 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That's correct.  I bought the UDP on Freedom back in September and didn't have the 18% tacked on.  I saved a lot by purchasing the package in advance -- the total cost of the UDP was less than just one time at Chops and Giovanni's Kitchen. However, the OP states that the packages are sold out.  

I missed that they were sold out.  I'm looking at my January 9 HOTS sailing and I don't see any of the dining packages available (other than Chops + One).  

Edited by zoepipes

3 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

I missed that they were sold out.  I'm looking at my January 9 HOTS sailing and I don't see any of the dining packages available (other than Chops + One).  

Others have been saying the packages have gone fast.  I would try calling RCI directly. 

I called yesterday looking for UDP,  nothing available for my 1/29 Symphony cruise. It is showing a 3 night package, but not available for both of us.

I'm just going to keep stalking my cruise planner and hope it shows up before we get on.

6 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

If you book the UDP in advance it gives you limited times to reserve for the first night. Is it easy enough to book all the times/restaurants you want once you board?

Yes -- once onboard you can go to any open specialty restaurant and they can make the rest of the reservations for the entire cruise. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:33 AM, Cigar King said:

Unless you are Diamond +, and want to use your BOGO, you might as well purchase in advance when the price feels right to you.

Is it possible to reserve online to get the time we want and then apply the BOGO and get a refund for the second person? Or book for only one and go as a couple and the second one be free? I'd like to book before boarding if at all possible.

Thanks for your insight.

Cindy

Buy Now not before your cruise.  It is more expensive.  Also for Izumi, the rolled out this $34.99 menu when you get to chose one appetizer and 2 entrees ( rolls or entrees) and a dessert.  So if you have UDP is will cover it, if you go ala carte it is a great option.  However with the current environment I am not sure if they will keep that going or not so can’t guarantee that.  Other than that but your packages now to lock in the price in case there is a price increase for 2022.

2 hours ago, ace1zoe2 said:

Is it possible to reserve online to get the time we want and then apply the BOGO and get a refund for the second person? Or book for only one and go as a couple and the second one be free? I'd like to book before boarding if at all possible.

Just to be clear, you can reserve, just not PAY in advance if you want to use the BOGO.  (I assume you are at least D+, since the BOGO is not an option otherwise.)  If it were me, I'd just book once I boarded.  I have never had a problem getting a reservation.  Once I board, I head to the restaurant and book it.

I have two suggestions, if you want to book early.  If you are in a suite, the concierge can take care of this for you.  It works well.  I usually get a message from the concierge the week before I sail.  If you know somebody on the cruise prior to your you could also ask them to stop by and make the reservation for you.

Anyway, unless there's some particular reason you must have a reservation, I'd just book on board.  Boarding earlier would help ensure you get the times you wish.

Cheers

15 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Just to be clear, you can reserve, just not PAY in advance if you want to use the BOGO.  (I assume you are at least D+, since the BOGO is not an option otherwise.)  If it were me, I'd just book once I boarded.  I have never had a problem getting a reservation.  Once I board, I head to the restaurant and book it.

Yes, we are D+. We have an 11:30 arrival time which was the earliest available when it opened at midnight for check in. Guess we don't HAVE to reserve but I'm one of those that likes to plan ahead. Just want to be able to get a specific restaurant and be out in time for the big shows. Provided that they will even be happening in February.

Thanks for the info!

On 12/28/2021 at 12:32 PM, zoepipes said:

Our 1/9 HOTS planner is showing this right now.  Not sure how long it will be on there.

88D65836-0425-49FB-9323-D3296AC0B7AF.thumb.jpeg.7ca6748610dda241bad4c4d46adcd9dd.jpeg