Poll: Would you make final payment or cancel?

Lou33

Poll: Would you make final payment or cancel?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming that today is the last day to make final payment or cancel. Considering recent COVID news, the new CDC travel warning, and NCL policies.

• Yes, I would make final payment today. I would not cancel.
    • No, I would not make final payment today. I would cancel.

We were facing Final Payment next week on a cruise leaving in early March.  A haven Deluxe Owners suite and a haven Penthouse suite.  We cancelled the day after NCI implemented their new masking required policy.  No way were going on a cruise where masks were required.  We weren't going to take the risk of having to wear a mask.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DrSea said:

I think prices will fall. I would cancel. But I am a gambling man.

I think prices will fall, but not until after January 31 when everybodies FCC expires.   

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:04 PM, bigrednole said:

There are no NCL cruises when we can cruise again in 2022 at the price we are currently booked. We are kind of screwed without a full refund and that includes the cruise certificate. I would be more than happy to pay in full if I get a future cruise for what I am currently paying. The problem is all cruises on NCL are 2X. We are going over Spring Break in April. 

The Pearl and Breakaway passengers are offered FCC that expires May 31, 2023.  So there is speculation that they may extend the deadline for everybody with FCC.  

We originally wanted to use our FCC for a cruise in February 2023 but it was not eligible.  But today I checked that cruise, and they just raised the prices about 20% for that sailing.  

I did actually cancel my cruise for end of February the day before the final payment was due.  I didn't feel comfortable with basically losing my money if anything happened.  And of course, 2 days later they reinstated the Peace of Mind cancellation policy (although it still doesn't cover by cruise at this point). I am still intending to go, I just figured I'd book as a last-minute cruise once it got closer, and things will hopefully look a little better.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2022 at 5:13 PM, jcscv said:

I am still intending to go, I just figured I'd book as a last-minute cruise once it got closer, and things will hopefully look a little better.

We also cancelled our end of February cruise the day before final payment.  But we also will not rule out the possibility that we might rebook it in another month.  This way there is nothing to lose.  There's no greater "Peace of Mind" than having your money in your pocket, not their pocket.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lou33 said:

We also cancelled our end of February cruise the day before final payment.  But we also will not rule out the possibility that we might rebook it in another month.  This way there is nothing to lose.  There's no greater "Peace of Mind" than having your money in your pocket, not their pocket.  

^^^this.  I politely refused FCC at the dawn of Covid and am glad I did.

My final payment was due 1/2/22 for a Pearl Panama Cruise March 3, 2022.  I debated for weeks and after comparing prices of future cruises I decided it was now or never.  My current cruise about $8k with air; new cruises hitting $10k for similar.  I’m hoping by March COVID will have surged and start coming back down. If it cancels I’ll get most money back with insurance so I let it roll.  I’m also retired so I am flexible.  

A fyi to those waiting for 60 days out, be aware you can only buy standard NCL travel insurance once you hit 60 days.   I did at 62 days so was still able to buy the premium insurance but was told No at first due to final payment made (paid on line day before) but then was allowed since was at 61 days.  Call first thing in morning to get through faster.  Afternoons have long long hold times.  I could not buy insurance on line and had to call.  

On 12/30/2021 at 2:38 PM, PhillyTravelBug said:

I would not cancel. These variants seem to come in waves, and things could be much better by the time you cruise. 

I'm not worried about COVID, but Norwegian's (and the CDC's and . . .) policies drive me nuts.  Fully vaccinated ships and it's still spreading.  It is likely to be endemic now and the media won't drop the panic drive until people stop listening to them.

Of course, that decision is too late and since I'm traveling with my parents, it's their call.  We'll cancel for the FCC if they decide to, otherwise, we head to Miami and the Getaway on 2/2.

• Like 1

To go, or not to go, that is the question?  We are booked on the Pequod, er, Dawn for Jan 29th, 2022, 11-day So. Caribbean. We are still considering going.  Probably won't go if numbers remain extreme.  But there is still time for cases to flatten and dip.  We recognize the drop might be significant but not too a level that is comfortable for everyone-that's not happening any time soon.  We could live with that because we want to cruise if possible, if numbers improve, we will see. 

We have endured several years in this difficult situation as have all.  Fortunately, we haven't been sick, knock-on wood.  Almost all of my golf buddies (I call them my golf community) have caught it though vaxed, but have recovered.  Also, 60% of our five children and grandchildren, mostly vaxed, have gotten it and recovered.  We have some time to decide, it's not easy as you all know.  We are vaxed for what it's worth.

A few thoughts I would like to share.  Many of you question numbers of infected on current cruises. That info is not readily available.  Our room steward on our Feb. 2020 cruise shared info with us on norovirus cases when I told him I had been ill. I had suspected some cases but won't elaborate. Obviously, he was cautious discussing, wanting to be discreet and avoid controversy.   He was wonderful and probably credible and reliable to a high degree.  I would value rank and file info frequently over administrative staff much of the time who have an interest in disguising facts.  Just saying!  Cruisers might obtain some info that way.

But you can be sure the business knows the facts and stats.  After my personal one-night norovirus case, I went down early to medical to get checked as Covid was just emerging at that time.  I was negative, but told I had Noro or such.  It was truly only one night, one I want to forget.  I was given some meds and told to isolate that day.  Couldn't take my wife to Valentine's dinner.  While I was in the office that morning the med tech got a call from some leadership staff asking the case count for the day.  They obviously keep close tabs on those stats.  

Don't know if I have helped or clouded perspective on near future cruises.  Pray this spike drops quickly.  We need some sun and warmth.  

5 hours ago, RaftingJeremy said:

i bet they will not. Actually, I bet the prices are higher 

It's going to be determined by the demand curve.  NCL will want to have x% of capacity.  If they're at 500 pax right now, they'll drop the price to get people onboard.  Of course, if they're where they need to be then they won't bring pricing down.  

If as many people are cancelling before FP as is indicated in the poll, they would almost have to drop pricing closer to sail date to get people on the ship.  If one is to believe that Omicron will peak before the end of January, that's a good sign.  Of course, nobody thinks that will be the last variant and who knows what the next one will bring!

Personally, I booked my next cruise for October.  Not that I think COVID will be gone by then but hopefully society's perception of it will change to that of a manageable disease, like the flu.  People will get it, some (mostly unvaxxed) will get really sick/die, but we won't see anything like 800K+ more deaths from it.  Of course, I'm not a public health expert and I don't know what the next variant will be, so this is all wishful thinking on my part.

55 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

It's going to be determined by the demand curve.  NCL will want to have x% of capacity.  If they're at 500 pax right now, they'll drop the price to get people onboard.  Of course, if they're where they need to be then they won't bring pricing down.  

If as many people are cancelling before FP as is indicated in the poll, they would almost have to drop pricing closer to sail date to get people on the ship.  If one is to believe that Omicron will peak before the end of January, that's a good sign.  Of course, nobody thinks that will be the last variant and who knows what the next one will bring!

Personally, I booked my next cruise for October.  Not that I think COVID will be gone by then but hopefully society's perception of it will change to that of a manageable disease, like the flu.  People will get it, some (mostly unvaxxed) will get really sick/die, but we won't see anything like 800K+ more deaths from it.  Of course, I'm not a public health expert and I don't know what the next variant will be, so this is all wishful thinking on my part.

Of course, if they have so many cancelations that the cruise is going to be uneconomic and crew counts are still an issue, they may just cancel for that reason.  But hopefully not the day before departure.

Which brings up an interesting, for me anyway, question:  What's the breakeven capacity at normal pricing?  They've got to pay and feed the crew anyway, and they have the sunk capital cost of the ship, but as long as they clear increased operating costs (fuel, variable O&M, passenger food) they should go, even if the fully allocated cost of the trip isn't covered.  When we were on the Mardi Gras last August, it was at about 2/3rds capacity -- which was absolutely wonderful for the passengers -- few crowds anywhere.

We are hoping to go on the Getaway in February, subject to the whims of Norwegian and the concerns of my parents.  After that we are going to Australia on RCCL from Hawaii.  Though I suspect that one gets canceled - Australia seems likely to be the last country to walk away from the insanity.

We canceled today because the TA is due the end of feb, but the following greek island cruise is due tomorrow.
I wont' be on one without the other...lol  Ridiculous they won't move final payment out at all.
We are leaving our cruise with royal because they have a 30 day final pay policy and we will fly over to Rome to get on it if the situation is better springtime. 

• Like 1

I had two final payments due later this week.  HI and AK in May.  I called today and cancelled them both.  Only had a cash deposit down, so I'll have that back next week.  The AK cruise price has not gone up, and I'm not concerned about waiting a few months and then booking the same cruise.  There is a good chance it will be cheaper.  HI POA is a huge unknown right now.  If I were to rebook today, it would be about $1000 more expensive.  I just don't want to take the risk that a) the cruise sails but b) protocols for shore excursions are awful, c) one or more of the islands may decide that the ship can't dock and/or d) airline problems keep me from showing up.  We have the same cruise booked in 2023, so no worries if we have to wait for Covid to finally blow over (or at least substantially blow over).

The (very helpful) reservations agent asked why I was cancelling.  I told him that I had been hoping that they would reduce the payment deadline from 120 to 60 days, but since that hasn't happened we decided to just cancel and consider rebooking.

We made final payment 2 weeks ago on Escape February cruises. I'm booking 2 more tomorrow for a B2B2B2B. Price is about $400 per person less than same time next year. I have CN's expiring that I don't want to lose.

We already decided we were going to Florida for the 2 cruises so why not add 2 more at a better price. We're retired so very flexible if anything cancels. Our main concern is if we test positive on one of the cruises, it will mess up the rest. We are driving down from Canada so we could just quarantine in a Florida hotel until the next cruise, I think.

Tony

On 1/7/2022 at 4:24 PM, jlseymour3 said:

I'm not worried about COVID, but Norwegian's (and the CDC's and . . .) policies drive me nuts.  Fully vaccinated ships and it's still spreading.  It is likely to be endemic now and the media won't drop the panic drive until people stop listening to them.

Of course, that decision is too late and since I'm traveling with my parents, it's their call.  We'll cancel for the FCC if they decide to, otherwise, we head to Miami and the Getaway on 2/2.

If Norwegian goes, we are going.  My mom, 90, is sick of the panic and fearmongering.  She loves being on cruise ships and being with her family, and "living in fear is no way to live."   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Von & John said:

Just made final payment on March Cruise. 

I have a final payment due this weekend for a cruise that isn't until the last week of May. I've been hoping that they would extend the final payment date, but it doesn't seem likely now.

6 hours ago, jlseymour3 said:

If Norwegian goes, we are going.  My mom, 90, is sick of the panic and fearmongering.  She loves being on cruise ships and being with her family, and "living in fear is no way to live." 

Cancelling before final payment doesn't mean I'm not going.  It means I have flexibility to see where things stand in a month or two and then, hopefully, rebook.  As stated, I'm not at all worried about price increases (it will likely be the opposite).  Sure, I could buy trip insurance and make final payment, but that money is then probably wasted.

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I've been hoping that they would extend the final payment date, but it doesn't seem likely now.

In reality, all you lose by cancelling before final payment is the fixed price of the cruise (unless the ship books to full capacity, which isn't really happening right now).

29 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Cancelling before final payment doesn't mean I'm not going.  It means I have flexibility to see where things stand in a month or two and then, hopefully, rebook.  As stated, I'm not at all worried about price increases (it will likely be the opposite).  Sure, I could buy trip insurance and make final payment, but that money is then probably wasted.

In reality, all you lose by cancelling before final payment is the fixed price of the cruise (unless the ship books to full capacity, which isn't really happening right now).

I'm afraid I got a bit off topic, as I'm well past final payment.  But otherwise I agree with you.  I've about decided that at least when it's just my wife and I we'll just wait until we're ready then find something last minute.