Does NCL move you to a different cabin if quarantined for covid exposure?

S&S Cruisers 1983

I was reading on another thread that some cruise lines will move you to a cabin close to the medical center if they decide quarantine is necessary, either through becoming symptomatic or if they find that you were in contact to someone on board that became sick. Does NCL move you? I thought that they would just confine you to your own cabin. This might be a game changer for me, since I can get claustrophobic without being able to step outside.

I am not sure, but I think they may move you to a different cabin if you test positive, but keep you isolated in your own cabin if you are determined to be a close contact of someone who tested positive.

it is the latter scenario I’m worried about. We come into contact with a lot of people on a cruise. I don’t want to be locked in my cabin for a week because I sat next to the wrong person in a restaurant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wally4ever said:

My significant other tested positive, and they moved her.  I had the option to stay in my cabin or move next door to her, but they heavily pressured me to move.

Were you in the same cabin or separate cabins to begin with?

It has been reported that NCL moves both positive cases and close contact quarantines to the 'covid ward'.

Everything that comes in and out of 'covid cabins' (food, laundry, trash) is treated as infectious. Those delivering food are in hazmat type suites. Cruise lines do not want Johnny Public to see that happening. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wally4ever said:

My significant other tested positive, and they moved her.  I had the option to stay in my cabin or move next door to her, but they heavily pressured me to move.

Did they define you as a close contact quarantine? Cruise lines are making that determination in odd ways.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

I am not sure, but I think they may move you to a different cabin if you test positive, but keep you isolated in your own cabin if you are determined to be a close contact of someone who tested positive.

it is the latter scenario I’m worried about. We come into contact with a lot of people on a cruise. I don’t want to be locked in my cabin for a week because I sat next to the wrong person in a restaurant. 

your worry is true in the former and latter, if you test positive, you will also be isolated, just in a different room which could be an upgrade or downgrade.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Were you in the same cabin or separate cabins to begin with?

Same.

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Did they define you as a close contact quarantine? Cruise lines are making that determination in odd ways.

Yeah they defined my daughter and I as close contact.  As far as I know, nobody else was considered close contact quarantines. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It has been reported that NCL moves both positive cases and close contact quarantines to the 'covid ward'.

Everything that comes in and out of 'covid cabins' (food, laundry, trash) is treated as infectious. Those delivering food are in hazmat type suites. Cruise lines do not want Johnny Public to see that happening. 

That makes sense. I just got off a 4 day cruise without any issues, but we have a 10 day booked also. I don't want to chance possibly being stuck in quarantine for so many days. So much to think about these days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karaboudjan said:

So no option to remain together in the isolation cabin?  

This is what is so infuriating about NCL.  How about they actually post specific protocols, rules, etc for what happens during a quarantine.  As of now they pretty much have the ability to shove you in a broom closet and feed you water and bread for the entire cruise.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, craig01020 said:

How likely is that to happen if passengers are only being tested prior tp boarding? Is it because some ports require testing mid-cruise?

What I read on the other thread was that the cruiser was told that they had close contact with another cruiser on the ship that had become symptomatic and therefore they were considered exposed and then quarantined. Maybe it was like someone else said, perhaps they were sat next to them in the dining room. 

2 minutes ago, Steve and Sharon said:

What I read on the other thread was that the cruiser was told that they had close contact with another cruiser on the ship that had become symptomatic and therefore they were considered exposed and then quarantined. Maybe it was like someone else said, perhaps they were sat next to them in the dining room. 

Was it this case?

https://www.elliott.org/cruises/norwegian-cruise-line-news-made-couple-stay-cabin/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wally4ever said:

No, they did not give that option.  I had to stay next door with my daughter.

I wonder what they would have done if both parents were positive and thus required to be at the same cabin but daughter was negative… Cannot imagine they’d put the parents in one cabin and the underage daughter alone in the next one but who knows. And nobody knows what age is their cut of for situations like this (surely a 4 year old will stay with parents but how about a 13 year old or a 16 year old). Yikes, so much to think about nowadays. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

14 minutes ago, johnoj said:

This is what is so infuriating about NCL.  How about they actually post specific protocols, rules, etc for what happens during a quarantine.  As of now they pretty much have the ability to shove you in a broom closet and feed you water and bread for the entire cruise.

They are not the only. HAL is doing it,  too.

https://markmcelroy.com/what-happens-when-you-get-covid-on-a-luxury-cruise/