Does NCL move you to a different cabin if quarantined for covid exposure?

S&S Cruisers 1983

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yes, it appears they use facial recognition software. If Person A becomes infected, they just follow his/her whereabouts to identify close contacts on the ship. If you do have to sit next to someone, try to make sure it's not more than 15 minutes if it can be helped.

This is good to know!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I didn't realize they kept track of where every cruiser sat for shows!  We will definitely try to keep our distance.

It is almost impossible to keep your distance.

That begins when you leave your home.

Enter the airport, checking in, TSA, board plane, etc.

Get to port, line up to enter terminal, check in, board ship, go to MDR, etc.

Even when we were on 2 other ships which were less than 40% occupied, we could not keep our distance.

STAY SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oxo said:

It is almost impossible to keep your distance.

That begins when you leave your home.

Enter the airport, checking in, TSA, board plane, etc.

Get to port, line up to enter terminal, check in, board ship, go to MDR, etc.

Even when we were on 2 other ships which were less than 40% occupied, we could not keep our distance.

STAY SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I realize going to the airport and flying are the biggest risks.  We will Uber it to the port and will have to really think about excursions.  The theater is a nice size, so that might be fine.  There comes a point where you try the best you can.  If we do get quarantined because of somebody else, I believe we will receive a prorated FCC.  We have the standard insurance, so we may even get a partial refund.    There is really no telling if things will be better by the end of 2022 so we have decided to just go for it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve and Sharon said:

Why do you think it's made up when others here have posted that it has happened to them, especially when you post the link that you did of it actually happening on another line? I was simply asking if anyone knew of this happening on an NCL ship. I wasn't asking for horror stories. I was asking about them moving people out of their own cabin to possibly an inside cabin. Can you please explain what the problem is?

I never said people were not moved. What I did say was there are not passengers being quarantined to INSIDE cabins. That was the question asked. I have seen no proof of that happening.

The blog I posted gave someone's experience. I thought it would be helpful. And the passengers were sent to a BALCONY cabin.

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That's a tough read.  Not because of all the "misery," but because of all the drama by the novel writer who wrote it.  Yet, it had a happy ending!  Nobody was ever "locked inside that dreaded inside cabin." 😎

And there is still no proof, only conjecture, that any inside cabins have been used for quarantine purposes. Even the arriving crew members who must quarantine seem to be getting balconies from what I have read.

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I never said people were not moved. What I did say was there are not passengers being quarantined to INSIDE cabins. That was the question asked. I have seen no proof of that happening.

The blog I posted gave someone's experience. I thought it would be helpful. And the passengers were sent to a BALCONY cabin.

No, that is not the question I asked. I did not mention moving to an INSIDE cabin in my original post. I said a cabin that you cannot step outside. Please read it again. And yes, SOME may go to balcony cabins, but for those being sent to quarantine near the medical center, which many times may be on a deck with only portholes and inside cabins, is my concern. Like a poster said above, Jewel class are quarantined on deck 4, therefore, no BALCONY.

Edited by Steve and Sharon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve and Sharon said:

SOME may go to balcony cabins, but for those being sent to quarantine near the medical center, which many times may be on a deck with only portholes and inside cabins, is my concern. Like a poster said above, Jewel class are quarantined on deck 4, therefore, no BALCONY.

Have you seen or read any account of someone being actually quarantined in an inside cabin? As I previously wrote even crew members quarantined are put in balconies, not the less expensive inside cabins.

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And there is still no proof, only conjecture, that any inside cabins have been used for quarantine purposes. Even the arriving crew members who must quarantine seem to be getting balconies from what I have read.

I actually instead of using the word conjecture about being moved into an inside for quarantine should have used the word FEAR.

Just now, ontheweb said:

Have you seen or read any account of someone being actually quarantined in an inside cabin? As I previously wrote even crew members quarantined are put in balconies, not the less expensive inside cabins.

Again, no, that is not the question I asked. I did not mention moving to an INSIDE cabin in my original post. I said a cabin that you cannot step outside. And yes, SOME may go to balcony cabins, but for those being sent to quarantine near the medical center, which many times may be on a deck with only portholes and inside cabins, is my concern. Like a poster said above, Jewel class are quarantined on deck 4, therefore, no BALCONY. Please read my original post again. SHEESH!

Just now, Steve and Sharon said:

Again, no, that is not the question I asked. I did not mention moving to an INSIDE cabin in my original post. I said a cabin that you cannot step outside. And yes, SOME may go to balcony cabins, but for those being sent to quarantine near the medical center, which many times may be on a deck with only portholes and inside cabins, is my concern. Like a poster said above, Jewel class are quarantined on deck 4, therefore, no BALCONY. Please read my original post again SHEESH!

Do they have proof of this? Is there any account of a passenger (or even a crew member) being quarantined into anything other than a balcony? 

From what I have read, areas are being roped off so no others can go there. How would you rope off the area by the medical center since there would be a need for it to be used other than just for those who test positive for Covid?

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

Do they have proof of this? Is there any account of a passenger (or even a crew member) being quarantined into anything other than a balcony? 

From what I have read, areas are being roped off so no others can go there. How would you rope off the area by the medical center since there would be a need for it to be used other than just for those who test positive for Covid?

Hmmm. Do you have proof of your claim? And ask them, not me. They are the ones that stated it. Go back and find the posts, and then read them for yourself if you want. 

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't think that solves the problem because you can be confined to a quarantine room just because of a close contact. That is the part that sticks me. If I test positive, or if I am sick, I have no issue quarantining. But I'm not comfortable with the risk of being quarantined just because I sat next to the wrong person in a bar.

As far as inside cabin quarantine: There have been reports of being quarantined in an inside cabin. There have been reports of being quarantined in an outside cabin, and there have been reports  of being quarantined in a balcony cabin.

What would solve this debate is if NCL would publish a policy. In the case of the article above, the HAL passenger was in the Pinnacle Suite which is the best cabin on the entire ship. They quarantined in a balcony cabin (half the size, but it was a balcony). Does the level you booked have any relationship to the cabin type you quarantine in? These are all questions NCL could answer. I know that for me, if I knew that if I booked a balcony room, I would be quarantined in a balcony room I would feel better about the risk. 

I'm pretty sure those HAL passengers were in a Neptune suite on their current "quarantine cruise".

Their reference to their stay in a Pinnacle suite was from a previous cruise (a few months ago, IIRC).

And unfortunately, they did not continue their cruise quarantined in a Neptune suite, but at least they had a smaller suite with a balcony.  (Why do medium-sized cabins that are all "one area" get labeled as "suites" in cruise parlance?  I've never understood that, but I digress...)

I'm not quite sure, but it seemed like they had paid for an upgrade to that Neptune suite, and the upgrade fee was refunded.

One thing I'd like to know is:  If someone is downgraded to a category cabin/suite lower/less expensive than one originally paid for,  do they get a pro-rated refund for the difference?  It doesn't make any sense otherwise.  And that doesn't help situations where someone would absolutely *not* sail in some lesser accommodation; they'd skip a cruise rather than take something they didn't want.  So "refunding the difference" still isn't really satisfactory.  But these are not normal times (and I hope they don't become normal times!).  I would hope that they would try to keep "similar accommodations" available in "quarantine" sections, but obviously this can't be guaranteed.  And for someone who IS in some relatively unique cabin/suite (such as HAL Pinnacle, or an OS in some other line, etc.), there just wouldn't be "something similar" available.

Mostly, I would hope that someone who had a balcony would not get quarantined in a cabin without a balcony;  a window "with a nice view" doesn't at all match a balcony with fresh air.

However, those who purposefully booked something like an inside cabin... well, they presumably expected to have plenty of time "in fresh air" elsewhere on the ship and probably on excursions!

Way back in spring, 2020, there were ships that were stranded, but at least some (one?) of them seemed to allow passengers to have short times walking around on an outside deck, carefully spaced, for exercise and fresh air.

This gets very tricky, and I wonder to what extent the cruise lines are truly doing their best to be equitable.  The more people who need quarantining, the more difficult this will be, of course, and with how quickly/easily Omicron spreads... not so good, and especially with somewhat longer trips.

GC

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I'm pretty sure those HAL passengers were in a Neptune suite on their current "quarantine cruise".

Their reference to their stay in a Pinnacle suite was from a previous cruise (a few months ago, IIRC).

And unfortunately, they did not continue their cruise quarantined in a Neptune suite, but at least they had a smaller suite with a balcony.  (Why do medium-sized cabins that are all "one area" get labeled as "suites" in cruise parlance?  I've never understood that, but I digress...)

I'm not quite sure, but it seemed like they had paid for an upgrade to that Neptune suite, and the upgrade fee was refunded.

One thing I'd like to know is:  If someone is downgraded to a category cabin/suite lower/less expensive than one originally paid for,  do they get a pro-rated refund for the difference?  It doesn't make any sense otherwise.  And that doesn't help situations where someone would absolutely *not* sail in some lesser accommodation; they'd skip a cruise rather than take something they didn't want.  So "refunding the difference" still isn't really satisfactory.  But these are not normal times (and I hope they don't become normal times!).  I would hope that they would try to keep "similar accommodations" available in "quarantine" sections, but obviously this can't be guaranteed.  And for someone who IS in some relatively unique cabin/suite (such as HAL Pinnacle, or an OS in some other line, etc.), there just wouldn't be "something similar" available.

Mostly, I would hope that someone who had a balcony would not get quarantined in a cabin without a balcony;  a window "with a nice view" doesn't at all match a balcony with fresh air.

However, those who purposefully booked something like an inside cabin... well, they presumably expected to have plenty of time "in fresh air" elsewhere on the ship and probably on excursions!

Way back in spring, 2020, there were ships that were stranded, but at least some (one?) of them seemed to allow passengers to have short times walking around on an outside deck, carefully spaced, for exercise and fresh air.

This gets very tricky, and I wonder to what extent the cruise lines are truly doing their best to be equitable.  The more people who need quarantining, the more difficult this will be, of course, and with how quickly/easily Omicron spreads... not so good, and especially with somewhat longer trips.

GC

That's what is concerning me. We book a balcony for my claustrophobia and the ability to get fresh air. Someone said earlier that the Jewel class is quarantining on deck 4 where there are no balcony cabins. We are booked on the Jewel, so they wouldn't be able to give us a balcony. 

Many ship's cabins do not have separated HVAC, so neighboring cabins are sharing HVAC and all that goes into their HVAC.  So most ships move covid passengers and covid contact passengers to areas where they will not potential effect other passengers just by staying in their cabin.  In 2020, covid passengers were not moved and covid spread to neighboring cabins/passengers on many ships.

Would you stay in your cabin when your neighbor's door is posted COVID ISOLATION and delivers are being made by fully encased staff/doctors? 

So plan your level of risk accordingly.

Also, since passengers are tested at embarkation, covid symptoms and positive tests are occurring a couple of days after traveling to embarkation (maybe from long flights).

Edited by prunderw

7 minutes ago, prunderw said:

Many ship's cabins do not have separated HVAC, so neighboring cabins are sharing HVAC and all that goes into their HVAC.  So most ships move covid passengers and covid contact passengers to areas where they will not potential effect other passengers just by staying in their cabin.  In 2020, covid passengers were not moved and covid spread to neighboring cabins/passengers on many ships.

Would you stay in your cabin when your neighbor's door is posted COVID ISOLATION and delivers are being made by fully encased staff/doctors? 

Nope, they need to be moved. That's why I was asking if and where people would be moved. I also would not want to be near an area where some cabins are roped off.

Edited by Steve and Sharon

@Wally4ever , I'm sorry for your ruined cruise. I hope your husband is also ok, as well as you and your daughter. I am curious, does your husband have any idea how he got it? Was he feeling not well and then went to get tested at the medical center? I am on the fence going on our cruise leaving January 5!

32 minutes ago, Steve and Sharon said:

Hmmm. Do you have proof of your claim? And ask them, not me. They are the ones that stated it. Go back and find the posts, and then read them for yourself if you want. 

Since you gave me a like on the post where I posted that blog, I am assuming you read it.

At one point the blogger mentions that though they can order whatever meals they want, they found the meal outside their door that was the usual crew meal. They are not in a balcony for quarantine because they paid for an even more expensive cabin; they are there because that is where quarantine happens EVEN FOR CREW MEMBERS. 

Don't you think that the cruise lines would provide less expensive cabins for the crew if they could? They are not putting anyone quarantined in any cabin other than a balcony!!!!!

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Since you gave me a like on the post where I posted that blog, I am assuming you read it.

At one point the blogger mentions that though they can order whatever meals they want, they found the meal outside their door that was the usual crew meal. They are not in a balcony for quarantine because they paid for an even more expensive cabin; they are there because that is where quarantine happens EVEN FOR CREW MEMBERS. 

Don't you think that the cruise lines would provide less expensive cabins for the crew if they could? They are not putting anyone quarantined in any cabin other than a balcony!!!!!

Yes, I read it. So, simply put, you have no proof. Got it!

3 minutes ago, Steve and Sharon said:

Yes, I read it. So, simply put, you have no proof. Got it!

My last post on the subject---where do you have any proof of anyone being quarantined, even crew members, in any type of cabin other than a balcony?

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

My last post on the subject---where do you have any proof of anyone being quarantined, even crew members, in any type of cabin other than a balcony?

My last response TO YOU. Please go back and read my original post. If I had any proof of anything, why would I have asked the question in the first place? Get it? Rhetorical question, no response needed.

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

C'mon...

That "crew meal" was obviously left in error (there seemed to be a few of them that were left, at least two by descriptions).  I found that to be an interesting peek into "crew meals" (or at least, "crew quarantine meals", and it was nice to see a chicken breast mentioned rather than just "pieces of chicken in some mystery sauce", etc.).

The two who are posting (and MANY THANKS TO THEM!!) seem to be getting just about anything to eat that they are requesting, including apparently a pizza they didn't even realize was available.  The food itself has not been "lesser".  And if they order tea, they reported being asked if they'd like some cookies to go along with the tea, even if they didn't ask for anything other than tea.  They even mention that if they want to order from more than one place for a single meal (e.g., specialty restaurants), then it just takes longer.

There's no evidence that I've yet seen that they are getting anything other than the best that could be hoped for (or actually requested) --> given the peculiar situation we are all encountering... and certainly not with respect to the food.

This is definitely a "first world problem", and I'd like to think that many of us could use their reporting as a terrific example of how to weather a bit of misfortune with grace (and humor!).  They have Covid, but they aren't desperately ill... or worse...

GC

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your responses. From what I gather, it would depend on what ship or cruise line we may be on to determine whether or not we would be moved to another balcony in a quarantined area, or moved to the lower decks in an inside or porthole cabin near the medical center. From what's been said, it sounds like it would be the latter on our currently booked ship. And yes, if very ill, that's near where we should be. But if NCL wants just to quarantine? We need to think hard about what to do.

• Like 1

To the OP.  There was an account of a passenger testing positive and was moved to an Ocean View cabin on a lower deck right before Christmas.  He posted pictures of the cabin. I don't think he was there long as the testing was towards the end of the cruise. His family remained in their cabin.  Can’t remember which ship.

I  can’t find the thread either, but so many have been deleted this week. It might of also been buried another thread. He reported he was treated well.  All kinds of food and internet access. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Here is an example of the proof you request. I did a one minute search here on cruise critic and came up with no less than a dozen hits. Between reports here and all the social media sites, I assure you there have been dozens of people quarantined in inside, ocean view, and balcony cabins. I have not yet heard of someone being quarantined in a suite or haven ;-).

This is a poster from the Symphony of the Seas. Deck 3 has no balcony cabins. Again, there are TONS more examples if you just look.

image.png.ff9767db91b216bd25dcb81b47442ffe.png

image.png

• Thanks 1