Does NCL move you to a different cabin if quarantined for covid exposure?

S&S Cruisers 1983

14 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What does that have to do with anything?  Threads on other sites can also be linked.  I'm suspecting that this is a tall tale.  If you can provide evidence otherwise, I'll gladly retract my "contributions."  🤣

Well if it's a tall tale, I didn't start it. It's too bad you can't get past your paranoia of tall tales, but there are others on here that have made valid contributions to this thread with their experiences and concerns. Claustrophobia is a valid concern to many of us. Even if I could go back and find the proof you so badly seem to need, too bad, I wouldn't for you. Get over yourself.

Edited by Steve and Sharon
  • Like 1

My next cruise is not until end of July, and nobody knows how the covid situation worldwide may have changed by then (better or worse). But I do however expect over the next few months cruiselines to be even more strict in their on board protocols for distancing people who are not travelling together, especially as I just read in a Norwegian newspaper that the American CDC is now actually advising people to not cruise at all, due to recent covid "situations" on board cruise ships, as they are only expecting it to get worse from now on. And it should be a "no-brainer" for the cruise lines - enforcing strict covid protocolls on board or NO CRUISE. And to have a specific "covid ward" on board where all positive cases are held, is unfortunately one of the things that should be done (even though it is "inconvenient" for the people who has to be moved for the safety of other passengers on board).

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why do some of you assume that folks are quarantined in inside cabins?  Do you have facts or are you just making it up?

I also think they are making it up.

Anyway, here is a real account of someone quarantined on a ship. It is not an NCL ship, rather a HAL ship.

What Happens When You Get COVID on a Luxury Cruise? - Mark McElroy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Anyway, here is a real account of someone quarantined on a ship. It is not an NCL ship, rather a HAL ship.

Glad to see this posting is still here. The truth must really hurt some people. 

STAY SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

11 hours ago, wally4ever said:

My significant other went into isolation halfway through for testing positive.  My daughter and I tested negative, but they still moved us into quarantine.  My significant other was moved.  They offered to move my daughter and I to the cabin next door, and strongly pressured us into moving.  It was a balcony,

Just to confirm @wally4ever, was a NCL ship? 

Also after you and your daughter were quarantined, how much longer was the voyage and was it long enough for you to have a chance to leave quarantine prior to the end of the cruise?

Thanks for the details so far!

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Glad to see this posting is still here. The truth must really hurt some people. 

STAY SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I originally posted it in Ask a Cruise Question, and for some reason (I mean what happens if you are quarantined is obviously a question), and for some reason it got moved to Cruise News (where as far as I can tell there is very little traffic).

The original (where I got it) is by the writer of that blog, and is in the following thread. I think post #2.

The author of the blog also answers questions later in the thread.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FloatingAces said:

Just to confirm @wally4ever, was a NCL ship? 

Also after you and your daughter were quarantined, how much longer was the voyage and was it long enough for you to have a chance to leave quarantine prior to the end of the cruise?

Thanks for the details so far!

It was the Getaway over Christmas.  We were quarantined Christmas Day and debarked on the 27th.  There was no chance to leave quarantine, but we did get to be paraded in front of guests waiting for their buses in guys with full hazmat suits.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Why do you think it's made up when others here have posted that it has happened to them, especially when you post the link that you did of it actually happening on another line? I was simply asking if anyone knew of this happening on an NCL ship. I wasn't asking for horror stories. I was asking about them moving people out of their own cabin to possibly an inside cabin. Can you please explain what the problem is?

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That's a tough read.  Not because of all the "misery," but because of all the drama by the novel writer who wrote it.  Yet, it had a happy ending!  Nobody was ever "locked inside that dreaded inside cabin." 😎

9 hours ago, Steve and Sharon said:

Well if it's a tall tale, I didn't start it. It's too bad you can't get past your paranoia of tall tales, but there are others on here that have made valid contributions to this thread with their experiences and concerns. Claustrophobia is a valid concern to many of us. Even if I could go back and find the proof you so badly seem to need, too bad, I wouldn't for you. Get over yourself.

I think a solution would be that if a person in your cabin has a headache, sore throat, or a cough, just isolate in your balcony cabin and order room service unless the symptoms are severe.  I would not go to the medical center for a sore throat.  But I also would not go out and about with a sore throat either.  I understand how claustrophobia is an issue with inside cabins when a person can't even leave it for a break.  That is a real issue.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think a solution would be that if a person in your cabin has a headache, sore throat, or a cough, just isolate in your balcony cabin and order room service unless the symptoms are severe.  I would not go to the medical center for a sore throat.  But I also would not go out and about with a sore throat either.  I understand how claustrophobia is an issue with inside cabins when a person can't even leave it for a break.  That is a real issue.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I don't think that solves the problem because you can be confined to a quarantine room just because of a close contact. That is the part that sticks me. If I test positive, or if I am sick, I have no issue quarantining. But I'm not comfortable with the risk of being quarantined just because I sat next to the wrong person in a bar.

As far as inside cabin quarantine: There have been reports of being quarantined in an inside cabin. There have been reports of being quarantined in an outside cabin, and there have been reports  of being quarantined in a balcony cabin.

What would solve this debate is if NCL would publish a policy. In the case of the article above, the HAL passenger was in the Pinnacle Suite which is the best cabin on the entire ship. They quarantined in a balcony cabin (half the size, but it was a balcony). Does the level you booked have any relationship to the cabin type you quarantine in? These are all questions NCL could answer. I know that for me, if I knew that if I booked a balcony room, I would be quarantined in a balcony room I would feel better about the risk. 

• Like 4

Has anybody who hasn't been on a cruise to Bermuda been forced to quarantine because they had close contact with an infected person who was not in their cabin?  I think it may have been an agreement between the cruise line and Bermuda to do this for cruises to that port.  That's just a guess.   

Edited by TNcruising02

4 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Has anybody who hasn't been on a cruise to Bermuda been forced to quarantine because they had close contact to an infected person?  I think it may have been an agreement between the cruise line and Bermuda to do this for cruises to that port.  That's just a guess.   

I believe the answer is yes since there are currently close contact quarantines being reported from Caribbean itineraries.  Just curious, what makes you think this is Bermuda specific?

To add: I just found this on the CDC site. It says you quarantine for exposure.https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fif-you-are-sick%2Fquarantine.html

image.png.52a3395d91e9d3027bfb1fa30c169775.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't think that solves the problem because you can be confined to a quarantine room just because of a close contact. That is the part that sticks me. If I test positive, or if I am sick, I have no issue quarantining. But I'm not comfortable with the risk of being quarantined just because I sat next to the wrong person in a bar.

As far as inside cabin quarantine: There have been reports of being quarantined in an inside cabin. There have been reports of being quarantined in an outside cabin, and there have been reports  of being quarantined in a balcony cabin.

What would solve this debate is if NCL would publish a policy. In the case of the article above, the HAL passenger was in the Pinnacle Suite which is the best cabin on the entire ship. They quarantined in a balcony cabin (half the size, but it was a balcony). Does the level you booked have any relationship to the cabin type you quarantine in? These are all questions NCL could answer. I know that for me, if I knew that if I booked a balcony room, I would be quarantined in a balcony room I would feel better about the risk. 

I'm sure they could, but the policy/procedures might depend on the ship and circumstances.  Some ships have many more balconies than others.  Some have blocks of different cabin types in different locations.  What happens might also depend on how many other cases/contacts have been identified or how high the occupancy is on the particular sailing.  It might end up not being very helpful.

It would be nice if they could just conform to the CDC guidelines for close contacts, but they probably figure they can't afford to take people at their word about symptoms.

3 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

I'm sure they could, but the policy/procedures might depend on the ship and circumstances.  Some ships have many more balconies than others.

Totally understand that piece of the puzzle. On the Jewel class ships it seems they are quarantining on deck 4 which has no balconies. It's all very complex.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That does make a lot of sense. It would be nice if they would publicly address this. Unfortunately it has been said on here that they quarantine near the medical center, which is understandable for actively sick patients. For most of my cruises the medical center is way down on one of the lowest decks without balcony cabins, only portholes and inside cabins. 

Edited by Steve and Sharon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

It seems like if you don't share meals or transportation with other people, you are very unlikely to be forced to quarantine.  I guess people may have to think about group excursions. We plan on using Uber to get to the port.

The case that I keep referring to was a close contact from a comedy show. The couple was seated (by a host) next to someone who ended up positive. There was also a close contact from Bingo reported, so it's not just meals/transportation it's every part of the ship. Although, I do agree, if you stay away from everyone you should be ok! :).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Totally understand that piece of the puzzle. On the Jewel class ships it seems they are quarantining on deck 4 which has no balconies. It's all very complex.

Maybe they could get whoever came up with the COVID color status spreadsheet to help explain it!  😬

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The case that I keep referring to was a close contact from a comedy show. The couple was seated (by a host) next to someone who ended up positive. There was also a close contact from Bingo reported, so it's not just meals/transportation it's every part of the ship. Although, I do agree, if you stay away from everyone you should be ok! :).

I didn't realize they kept track of where every cruiser sat for shows!  We will definitely try to keep our distance.

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I didn't realize they kept track of where every cruiser sat for shows!  We will definitely try to keep our distance.

Yes, it appears they use facial recognition software. If Person A becomes infected, they just follow his/her whereabouts to identify close contacts on the ship. If you do have to sit next to someone, try to make sure it's not more than 15 minutes if it can be helped.

• Like 2