We canceled

maria1122

22 minutes ago, mainelycruising said:

Look at it this way: after this CDC bombshell, a cruise in early January will have lots of space, so social distancing will be a cinch.  Even better, without any need to go on land at ports that will be closed, there will be little chance of catching COVID there.   Embarking and disembarking will be less crowded, and reservations at the specialty restaurants will be plentiful.  You might even talk the ship's entertainment officer into an 'open mic night' to fill the gaps in the otherwise curtailed entertainment.

You have to weigh the good and the bad.  The good news is that the choice is up to the passenger.

I don't see anything good about that statement.  I can only eat and drink so much.

• Like 1

We are booked for January 30th, Explorer Of The Sea.  This was an Irish Music cruise with private concerts.  In the process of canceling right now.  Not worth it to us.  We want a monetary refund.  Not interested in an FCC.  Wish us luck!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Diveloonie said:

We are booked for January 30th, Explorer Of The Sea.  This was an Irish Music cruise with private concerts.  In the process of canceling right now.  Not worth it to us.  We want a monetary refund.  Not interested in an FCC.  Wish us luck!

Good Luck

Re: New York Christmas Eve

One school of thought on this is to have the event, with moderate and enforceable restrictions in place. Because people may show up anyway.

Sturgis ND city folks did NOT want to have the famous bike rally, but they decided to go ahead anyway, because there was no way to stop people from arriving. At least they could plan something

Telling people to completely stay away from Times Square was not going to work. Because freedom and 'Murica. Even in NYC.

20 minutes ago, orville99 said:

There are no reliable data that support this supposition.

2,100 out of the 5,000 cases Dec14-29 were passengers. Spread out over 89 ships for a total of an average of 56 cases per ship with 3-5000 passengers and crew. Those are the published numbers.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Difference with South Africa and the US is far less people, so most likely it will be much longer for us then them to see cases declining.

South Africa has almost 60 million people and actually has a higher population density then the United States. So if anything the U.S. cases should decline faster and not the opposite.

25 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

It's the crew who are sick and spreading covid. Passengers get it from them. 

Where did the crew get it?  They are not allowed to leave the ship, except for Coco Cay...and those employees are tested and vaxxed as well.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, OceanCruise said:

Don't all the crew have to be vaccinated? Why is it that the states with highest percentage of vaccinated population now have the highest percentage of cases? Could it be that people vaccinated are actually the ones shedding and spreading the virus like some of the scientists and doctors warned about early on? Netherlands has now approved 6 shots total according to this Newsweek article. https://www.newsweek.com/netherlands-vaccination-booster-coronavirus-covid-shot-1664296 

Maybe 6 is finally the number that will work. 

Many of the crew early on were vaccinated with the one-shot J&J vaccine.  CDC now says that is not enough and recommends a second shot after two months.  Not sure how much of the crew on these ships has had a booster shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

2,100 out of the 5,000 cases Dec14-29 were passengers. Spread out over 89 ships for a total of an average of 56 cases per ship with 3-5000 passengers and crew. Those are the published numbers.

The supposition that I was questioning was that passengers were being infected by crew. There are no data to support this. You can quote raw numbers till the cows come home, but raw numbers do not a correlation make.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Common sense. 200+  crew removed from Symphony this past week.  Few passengers. 

YOU do not know who was or was not removed from the ship so stop passing this off as a fact.

YOU also do not know why crew members did or did not leave the ship.

Speculate: fine 

Fact: Not at this time

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Statement just out from CDC that peak looks like it will be the week of 1/9.

Oh great.  Just in time for my b2b sailings January 6-15.  I haven’t cancelled yet but thinking I will because not stopping even at CC is a deal breaker.   April b2b is still hopeful.  This is getting ridiculous.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mets123 said:

I called Royal last night about our January 9th Anthem cruise. I was told Royal will let people cancel any cruise departing before January 17th and they can get a complete refund. Still haven't decided.

That is interesting. We are only being offered FCC for our 1/9 Odyssey cruise.