Distill Water for CPAP (I was too late, please help)

bearandbee

I finally had the time to try ordering distilled water for our upcoming cruise on the Koningsdam this Sunday, but orders had closed. (I will definitely remember to do this earlier on our next cruise!)
Will we be able to obtain distilled water on board or should bring some with us?

5 minutes ago, bearandbee said:

I finally had the time to try ordering distilled water for our upcoming cruise on the Koningsdam this Sunday, but orders had closed. (I will definitely remember to do this earlier on our next cruise!)
Will we be able to obtain distilled water on board or should bring some with us?

I can't say for sure, but a few bucks distributed to the cabin steward should get them to talk to a friend of theirs in the engine room, who can provide a gallon of distilled water right from the evaporators, if the ship is at sea.  My engine gang was always ready to make a few extra bucks for two minutes work.

Having said that, generally, if you fill a pitcher or ice bucket from the bathroom sink tap, and let it sit for a few hours to let the chlorine dissipate, the water should be fine for short term use in a CPAP.  You may want to descale the unit when you get home, depending on how much buildup you get (should not be much).

• Like 2

I don't know whether the ship has distilled water but you can bring your own. But it has to sealed and packed in checked luggage with the device it is used in.  Found this in the FAQ (https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.health-safety.prohibited-items.html  I added search item Distilled Water):

Purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers (including plastic containers) for use in conjunction with medical device(s) are allowed in checked luggage and must be packed with the device(s). ..... Limitations apply. Allowances are subject to change without notice and remain subject to situational assessments by both security and the vessel.

Edited by Playin Pickleball
Edited to omit section on baby formula. Also, noticed another reply that said you might be able to get distilled water on ship.

I use a CPAP machine, although mine does not use water. But on every cruise, when the room steward sees it, they offer to get me distilled water. So I am sure there is no problem getting it once on board. Interesting post above. I would NEVER pack my CPAP in checked lugguage. I always carry it on. It does not EVER leave my sight. 

• Like 3

I order distilled water in advance, but always need at least one more bottle during the cruise. I order it from the room service, and it is delivered with the charge added to my bill. 
Never in a million years would I put my CPAP equipment in checked luggage. 

• Like 5

I have always carried my CPAP on board with my carry on. I always included a supply of distilled water. On my most recent cruise, I saw that they would not allow any kind og plastic containers to be brought aboard.

So, instead of bringing a 16 ounce plastic bottle of distilled water for a 7 day cruise, I had to chose to have the ship supply me with a gallon plastic bottle of distilled water.

Even though I ordered that bottle 2 months prior to my cruise, it was not in our stateroom when we embarked. I asked about it three times after we borded and FINALLY, at 10:30 PM. it was delivered to our stateroom. 

Of course, I only used about a qurter of the bottle for the cruise, so we had to leave it to be disposed of.

Rather than me bringing my small bottle which I would have brought back, they had to dispose of the gallon sized container.

How did the environment gain on that deal?

• Like 1

It is really too bad that a simple health requirement has become so complicated. Unintended consequences that could easily be fixed with minimal effort. Not sure too many people choose distilled water for their favourite beverages.

11 hours ago, bearandbee said:

You should be able to order it once on board....

What is the charge for a gallon of distilled water?  Or is the first one free of charge and HAL then charges for a second gallon? Asking because we both have CPAPs and are planning an extended cruise in the future.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, ssawjo said:

What is the charge for a gallon of distilled water?  Or is the first one free of charge and HAL then charges for a second gallon?

Very Expensive - You might have to take out a long term loan or something...

$2.95 per Gallon

You can pre-order at the bottom of the Beverages page...

• Haha 1

I have found one price when I pre-order, and a higher price when I order more from room service. One gallon lasts about 2 weeks for me; you'll want to know your approximate usage in advance if you will want to order it all in advance. 

One time, in Europe, the jug was huge! Much more than one gallon, to the point that I couldn't lift it to refill my humidifier until a decent amount was used. Fortunately, my cabin steward would do the refill for me until I could manage it. 
I couldn't break the seal on the jug, either. The steward had to use a knife to cut the seal. 

On our recent cruise on the Eurodam from Barcelona I pre-ordered 2 gallons for 2 CPAPs. Waiting for us in the cabin were 2-2 liter bottles. My conversion skills aren't great but I knew that wasn't close to 2 gallons. It took a bit of back and forth but finally received 2 more bottles.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RGEDad said:

Very Expensive - You might have to take out a long term loan or something...

$2.95 per Gallon

You can pre-order at the bottom of the Beverages page...

$6.49 on the Zuiderdam last week for a gallon of Distilled Water. And, it expired over a year ago.