Reporting Back: I upgraded from Have it All SBP to EBP onboard

NengEuis

Before we sailed on NS on 12/19, I had a hard time figuring out the ins and outs/ pros and cons of upgrading a Have it All Beverage Package onboard, mostly because sailings had been paused and there weren't any recent trip reports to refer to. Instead of adding to page 9 of a two month old post, I thought I would share my experience so that others can make an educated decision. 

We are just off the Nieuw Statendam and upgraded from the SBP to the EBP when we got our first drink onboard. It's important that you do that because once you get a drink under the SBP,  you are locked in for the week. I got a little yellow slip that showed the upgrade purchase as proof, and it took about 15 minutes for the cards to be updated, according to the server. 

For a 7 Day Cruise, The cost for Have it All fares is $10 per person/day + 18% Gratuity = 82.60/pp charged to shipboard account. 

The per drink dollar amount covered for the SBP is $11, EBP is $15.  I think it is important to look at what the differences are in what you get when you upgrade and whether you yourself will spend $70.00 before gratuity if you don't upgrade. For us, it was worth it because I like to drink Miraval Rose'  - a $14 glass of wine. Included under EBP but not under SBP (I would pay $3 + 18% for each glass) I also like Oberon Cab Sauv - another $15 glass. My husband enjoys Glenmorangie 18 yr and Highland Park Scotches, and he loves the Smoked Cherry Old Fashioned at Ocean Bar. These are all covered under the EBP and not the SBP. 

Most people are totally happy with the SBP. I had to look at the differences to decide if it was right for us. I'll attach what we referred to when making our decision. I hope this helps others plan for their cruise. I think Holland America does an excellent job using the Seapass cards and making seamless transactions onboard. We were very impressed with Food and Beverage overall on this cruise. 

IMG_4205.jpg

Edited by NengEuis
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, NengEuis said:

Included under EBP but not under SBP (I would pay $3 + 18% for each glass)

I think you would be charged the full $14 + gratuity. They don't just charge the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I think you would be charged the full $14 + gratuity. They don't just charge the difference.

This is correct.  Celebrity will charge only the difference in price, but HAL charges the full amount.

20 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Good to know! RCCL just charges the difference. I feel even better about upgrading now. 😄

Edited by NengEuis
  • Like 1

We are going to do the same on our upcoming NS trip.   I like bourbon and I probably will be having a few at Notes nightly if not too crowded.  Any idea what sparkling wine is available in the EBP?     I don't know if Roger Jett has updated that yet.  Thanks! 

12 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

We are going to do the same on our upcoming NS trip.   I like bourbon and I probably will be having a few at Notes nightly if not too crowded.  Any idea what sparkling wine is available in the EBP?     I don't know if Roger Jett has updated that yet.  Thanks! 

There really isn't a sparkling wine that is in that EBP window of $12-15. A glass of Veuve Clicquot is $18. So what you see in the SBP list are your choices if you want to order in-package. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

In the menu in the first post it lists several sparkling wines, including Domaine Chandon Brut...

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

In the menu in the first post it lists several sparkling wines, including Domaine Chandon Brut...

I think the question was whether there is a sparkling wine that would be included in the EBP that is not in SBP. Upgrading doesn't provide you a package that has any additional sparkling wines or champagnes, so a drinker of those would be quite happy keeping the SBP. 

Edited by NengEuis
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the information. My question is, can only one person upgrade? My husband doesn't really drink but I like to try new cocktails and I do enjoy sparkling water at meals. I would like to upgrade but leave my husband the basic package.

I see (barely) in the fine print the language about the 15 drink maximum, seemingly including water and other non-alcoholic drinks.  Have you been able to test that theory?  At some point there was a report that on the EBP the non-alcoholic drinks were unlimited. 

5 hours ago, Virgo61 said:

Thank you for the information. My question is, can only one person upgrade? My husband doesn't really drink but I like to try new cocktails and I do enjoy sparkling water at meals. I would like to upgrade but leave my husband the basic package.

Sparkling water with meals, just make sure to order the mini bottles not the large bottle for the table - that is not included.