In quarantine on Equinox. Ask me anything. I’m bored.

Parkerson

We had our latest booster just at the end of October. I am worried that my hubby will catch this from me because I am coughing quite a bit and the mask seems to making my coughing worse. He's on the balcony and I am inside.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parkerson said:

I will certainly be looking into possible compensation. 

Question for the knowledgeable………

should I wait and contact Celebrity Customer Service after the cruise, or try to discuss that with someone on this ship?

Any other suggestions?

If it is the same as earlier reports they issue it automatically and the amount equals pro-rated  the number of days you are in isolation.    I believe they said they delivered the FCC to their room.

23 minutes ago, RollWave said:

Do you know if the area to the corridor where the quarantine cabins are located is being manned by crew to keep others from entering that hallway?

Any word on the overall vibe of the ship as positive cases are being announced? Is it getting more somber or business as usual (perhaps more of a question for your wife since she can be out & about).

We were on Constellation in November. There was an announcement the last night of the cruise, during the dinner hour, about a positive case. It was a slap of reality that changed the energy in the room.

It appeared that way when I was walked down to my room. There were personnel stationed at each “turn”. Obviously, I haven’t walked the halls but I’m sure I wouldn’t make it very far. 

The captain quit giving numbers out on the 28th or 29th. Each day before that he would announce how many new cases there were. I’m guessing that stopping that was by design. I’ll check with the wife and see how things are up on deck. 

• Thanks 1

Question... do you think they will upgrade us to the faster internet so we can watch something or contact our family? If so how would I go about asking and setting it up? We can't seem to get guest relations to answer the phone at all.

Edited by dollyd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jemttill said:

Hey Parkerson, your covid widow is wondering how you’re doing. She’s here on deck worrying about you! Don’t worry we’ve got her a drink!

Buy that woman some drinks!  Thank you!  Shocked that they wanted to charge her for the last. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Parkerson said:

She didn’t order for me. Not sure how they picked a pretty good meal out. Although it was pretty much what we ordered from room service on our 1st morning at the start. Maybe they used that order as history?  

I also called them and had a fruit plate and a double cappuccino delivered.

You can order anything from any menu you’d like. We learned that early in the cruise…….not just for quarantine. I ordered main dining food last night off the menu in the app.

Get you some good food! 

Now I am waiting for lunch.  They told me 45 minutes when I got through @11:10.  It is now over an hour past the 45 minutes!

Great job Parkerson! Thanks for this thread. I think this is the first time I've read EVERY post from beginning to the end on a 6+ page thread! LOL!  I appreciate your positive, upbeat, direct responses and your sense of humour. 

We are struggling with a go/no go decision for our January 30th sailing on Equinox. This is helping me in the decision process. 

Best wishes to you and your wife as you convalesce! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

I may be wrong but I don't think any of the lines are incuding boosters in the protocols.

A few days ago,  P&O  made booster mandatory for 35 night Caribbean leaving tomorrow  and Cunard did same thing for their 29 day voyage on Jan 14th. IMHO, it’s just a matter of time before they all add booster if they are following the science, at least I hope so.

Edited by Grambler
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, RealBatman said:

Great job Parkerson! Thanks for this thread. I think this is the first time I've read EVERY post from beginning to the end on a 6+ page thread! LOL!  I appreciate your positive, upbeat, direct responses and your sense of humour. 

We are struggling with a go/no go decision for our January 30th sailing on Equinox. This is helping me in the decision process. 

Best wishes to you and your wife as you convalesce! 

Yay!!  😎

Whats funny is that I’ve been a lurker on this forum since 2013. I come on here after we book a cruise and read up, but never post until this……the Vid. 

Edited by Parkerson
Content
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

FIRST: Hope you get better soon.

SECOND: Thanks so much for your insights and reporting on the process. This thread almost reads like a novel. I cannot remember ever going to a 6 page thread and reading every post. Didn't want to miss one. We leave on the 4th  on Oceania and then onto the Celebrity Edge on the 16th. A strange time to travel but will make the most of it regardless especially with your example. BTW, love Monkey Shoulder as well.                    

• Like 2

Parkerson, thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you’re making the best of the situation. Good for you and glad that your only having mild side effects. I think things will be a little rough until this current variant peaks. Looks as though Celebrity is taking good care of you.

Fingers crossed that your wife remains negative. Safe travels home. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

If you can post here on Cruise Critic, you most likely have streaming internet.

Yup.  I had Stream on the Silhouette last month.  My wife had the included Surf package, and I confirmed what I'd previously read here on Cruise Critic: you cannot post to Cruise Critic with the regular Surf package.  You can't even read it -- it comes up looking like a Word document table of contents.   Can't do WiFi calling with it either.

And yes, Stream was often very slow or not loading anything at all.  Sorry, @Parkerson😞 

Parkerson. . . . you have certainly earned a couple jewels in your crown!!

I can't leave this thread for fear I am going to miss something.  You have done an excellent job at responding to our questions with kindness, grace and some humor thrown in.  Thank you so very much and I wish you all a speedy recovery and safe journey home.

Jeanne

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Grambler said:

A few days ago,  P&O  made booster mandatory for 35 night Caribbean leaving tomorrow  and Cunard did same thing for their 29 day voyage on Jan 14th. IMHO, it’s just a matter of time before they all add booster if they are following the science, at least I hope so.

I agree, the question is how many boosters are we going to wind up with. I guess Pfizer and Moderna are working on a yearly vaccine that will protect us from the regular flu and Covid 19. Thing to remember is that the yearly flu shot doesn't cover all the possible strains. I remember coming down with the Hong Kong flu in December of 1968, obviously I was a lot younger but the thing I remember is that I was the only one in my family that had it, I never passed it on to my mom, dad or sister which is sort of strange.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

@Parkerson  I know you and your wife are planning to drive home with all the car windows open. I assume that in Florida the weather will be such that you can do that.   But if it's pouring rain in a way that prevents your opening all the windows, here's an article reporting on a study showing the "best" windows to open for airflow in an effort to prevent covid transmission:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/19/car-windows-to-open-for-air-flow-to-prevent-covid-transmission-study.html

I hope you continue to experience only mild symptoms and recover from them soon, and that your wife continues to test negative.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.  

Safe travels home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

So this is exactly what I have been saying here since CDC changed the testing rules for cruises in October.  What was the reason to go from 3 day pre-cruise testing to 2 day testing?  It was working very well as it was.  Then people were forced into taking antigen tests instead of the RT-PCR test before checking in on the ship because of the timing change.  RT-PCR would catch asymptomatic people and others just recently infected before going to the port.  Simply saying that 2 day testing was better for no solid reason, it truly backfired when Omicron came along.  

The breakdown in testing is due to the nature of the variant, not the shortening intesting time frame. Many were already using emed and other antigen tests with the longer limit.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Parkerson said:

Yay!!  😎

Whats funny is that I’ve been a lurker on this forum since 2013. I come on here after we book a cruise and read up, but never post until this……the Vid. 

Wow--this has been an interesting thread! Thx for sharing--REALLY glad u r feeling decent & DW is negative so far. Surprised they allow her out of the room (or did I read that wrong)

We were on the Edge for 2 weeks the last wk of July/1st wk of Aug. The last full day of the 1st wk we watched them come get 2 passengers from the pool deck; those of us who did B2B had to do a COVID test that morning & it was clear that one of them tested positive. The wife was NOT happy. 

Glad we cruised when we did--crazy Omicron wasn't around yet. And it was luxurious to go maskless all week.

We have a week on Apex in March. Hoping things settle down b4 then.

But I have older parents battling cancer so everything is tentative. Thank God for Cruising w/ Confidence.

Yeah, with my parents I have been even more careful to wear a mask. Luckily most in our community are still masking even tho our mask mandate expired Dec. 23 (confused with their logic on that one...).

TAKE CARE!

• Like 1