In quarantine on Equinox. Ask me anything. I’m bored.

Parkerson

Peckerson (find a photo for that one):

I wonder if the meals you are having in isolation at home match the (delicious appearing) ones you shared with us from ship-isolation?   You haven't posted a home-isolation-meal photo yet, so I wonder what is up?   Is DW feeding you?   Should we send care packages?

I (for one) appreciated the information that mask-requirements are included on the X app.   Sailing in 5 days (and not next August) this is relevant for me.   Everyone posting covid worries that go months (to years) out, not so much.   You all will have to wait (and maybe worry) days before sailing (or canceling) like I have.   We don't know what future months will be like---I'm hoping covid becomes less and less of a worry for any of us.   

I've been able to skim multiple postings with similar to identical content so (unlike Pinboy) I haven't become bored with everyone's contributions.   It has been a great thread with lots of heartfelt support for Parkerson and his Canadian cohorts.   

Plus, I like the food photos...   Peckerson, this is your cue...

Happy Sailings, Jimmybean

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, luv2cruise0611 said:

@canderson Your suggestion is absolutely right ... a person or a team plus a telephone line needs to be designated just for the quarantined passengers and I felt it needed to be heard from the 'powers that be'. 

Just want to let you know that I sent an email to LLP (Lisa Lutoff-Perlo) just yesterday (with the link to this thread) ... and this afternoon, I received a phone call from her office.  Her assistant thanked me for the email and bringing it to their attention.  She said they always look for ways to improve and assured me that they are looking into the matter.  She also told me that my email was immediately sent to the Equinox ... and they will be looking into the situations that came up in this thread.  They also like the suggestion and will look into that more as well.

Pleased that you followed up for us.  It would be interesting if you would be willing to copy your email here as well to see what spurred them to take the time to read this thread.  I wonder if a comparison between what was happening aboard and "standard of care" got the legal beagles' attention there.  It was very fortunate that none of the involved pax (that we know of) suffered a real medical emergency, and perhaps in the future, X will be better prepared to monitor for such events should they occur.  If nothing else, the psychological hit of being held incommunicado for extended periods, especially when medical attention is actually needed as it was in one case, just isn't right.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimmybean said:

Peckerson (find a photo for that one):

I wonder if the meals you are having in isolation at home match the (delicious appearing) ones you shared with us from ship-isolation?   You haven't posted a home-isolation-meal photo yet, so I wonder what is up?   Is DW feeding you?   Should we send care packages?

I (for one) appreciated the information that mask-requirements are included on the X app.   Sailing in 5 days (and not next August) this is relevant for me.   Everyone posting covid worries that go months (to years) out, not so much.   You all will have to wait (and maybe worry) days before sailing (or canceling) like I have.   We don't know what future months will be like---I'm hoping covid becomes less and less of a worry for any of us.   

I've been able to skim multiple postings with similar to identical content so (unlike Pinboy) I haven't become bored with everyone's contributions.   It has been a great thread with lots of heartfelt support for Parkerson and his Canadian cohorts.   

Plus, I like the food photos...   Peckerson, this is your cue...

Happy Sailings, Jimmybean

***whispers***….you know she reads this thread, right? 🤫

The meals are are great here. 😏

All kidding aside, she is taking great care of me, as she always does. She’s the best and puts up with my nonsense.  She does scowls if I get with 27’ of her now, but other than that….😉

Oh….I think you’re looking for this guy.  Not sure if he was on board but you can reach out on Insta if you’re inclined. 

6104BE76-EA78-4777-ADCA-1001F29E874F.jpeg

• Haha 10

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Celebrity needs a few good project managers to help them plan this out better!  The number of cases onboard this ship were not at all so extreme that the handling should have been such a mess.  

To be fair, there are several points along the line where the process might have broken down.  It may or may not have been related to planning.  It could have been any of

a) Celebrity didn't formulate a plan specifically to deal with quarantined passengers.  Well, we know that's at least partially false, as based upon the first hand accounts here, they did manage to execute on a number of facets of a plan that must have been in place.  So perhaps

b) in Celebrity's plan to deal with quarantined passengers, there was no provision for clear and regular communication with the these passengers.  We can't know if that was the case or whether

c) the plan existed and covered this contingency but was not properly communicated to the fleet, or

d) the plan was communicated to the Equinox staff, but staff did not follow through with tasking staff and crew to implement the plan, or allocated too few to properly execute it, or

e) individuals tasked with implementation were insufficiently trained to perform these communication tasks, or

f) the individuals tasked with this job simply didn't perform.

Doesn't really matter now, but I would imagine that LLP's office now has someone working through the chain to see where it broke down, which is good.

17 minutes ago, Parkerson said:

***whispers***….you know she reads this thread, right? 🤫

The meals are are great here. 😏

All kidding aside, she is taking great care of me, as she always does. She’s the best and puts up with my nonsense.  She does scowls if I get with 27’ of her now, but other than that….😉

Oh….I think you’re looking for this guy.  Not sure if he was on board but you can reach out on Insta if you’re inclined. 

6104BE76-EA78-4777-ADCA-1001F29E874F.jpeg

My money was on you all the time, Mr P.      I'm not disappointed.

Kidding aside back, your thread was a great help to me.   Thank you!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, canderson said:

To be fair, there are several points along the line where the process might have broken down.  It may or may not have been related to planning.  It could have been any of

a) Celebrity didn't formulate a plan specifically to deal with quarantined passengers.  Well, we know that's at least partially false, as based upon the first hand accounts here, they did manage to execute on a number of facets of a plan that must have been in place.  So perhaps

b) in Celebrity's plan to deal with quarantined passengers, there was no provision for clear and regular communication with the these passengers.  We can't know if that was the case or whether

c) the plan existed and covered this contingency but was not properly communicated to the fleet, or

d) the plan was communicated to the Equinox staff, but staff did not follow through with tasking staff and crew to implement the plan, or allocated too few to properly execute it, or

e) individuals tasked with implementation were insufficiently trained to perform these communication tasks, or

f) the individuals tasked with this job simply didn't perform.

Doesn't really matter now, but I would imagine that LLP's office now has someone working through the chain to see where it broke down, which is good.

You’re 100% correct. It may have been an incomplete plan, or a failure to execute that plan correctly. A good project plan always has an implementation phase.  It may very well be that is where the plan failed.  So it could be a project management issue, rather than a project planning issue, or both.  It does blow my mind, though, and concern me greatly that they were struggling so much with a fairly small outbreak.

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Pleased that you followed up for us.  It would be interesting if you would be willing to copy your email here as well to see what spurred them to take the time to read this thread.  I wonder if a comparison between what was happening aboard and "standard of care" got the legal beagles' attention there.  It was very fortunate that none of the involved pax (that we know of) suffered a real medical emergency, and perhaps in the future, X will be better prepared to monitor for such events should they occur.  If nothing else, the psychological hit of being held incommunicado for extended periods, especially when medical attention is actually needed as it was in one case, just isn't right.

@canderson  As requested, I will attach my email here.  Believe me, I don't write as well as you ... but I am glad that they took the time to read it and better yet ... call me to discuss it.  I hope they continue to read this thread and see the additional suggestions that have been made here.  I will include LLP's email address, in case anyone else wishes to send her office an email.

lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com

To Whom it May Concern: 

I would like to start by saying Celebrity is our cruise line of choice.  We have several cruises booked in 2022 ... one of which is a B2B in February 2022.  We are Elite Captain's Club members and will continue to cruise Celebrity. 

That being said ... these are not normal times.  I understand the current situation with Covid is unprecedented and not without it's problems. Omicron has proven to be so highly contagious, it is inevitable that it will be spread on the ships and that Quarantines are needed.  And I'm sure in most cases, they are being handled well ... but situations arise that you may not be aware of.  

I believe the following needs to be brought to the attention of the 'powers that be' ... Lisa Lutoff-Perlo.

Many potential passengers or those with future cruises wonder ‘What will happen to me should I test Positive while on-board?’ Well, here is a first count experience from a really wonderful passenger who started a thread on Cruise Critic, and who is currently in quarantine on the Equinox. He proved to be very helpful to others in quarantine.

I will attach the link but if you are unable to open this link … you can go on Cruise Critic and search for the thread called … “In quarantine on Equinox. Ask me anything. I’m bored.”

The gentleman proved to be invaluable to other quarantined passengers.

This gives you quite a different perspective and what an eye-opener it is, to learn how quarantined passengers are treated while onboard. While his experience was not bad at all, others proved not to be as good. Perhaps the crew was overwhelmed with the growing number of cases … but … they need to be better prepared.

In this thread, one particular lady, who was Positive and quarantined, also had another medical issue and could not even reach the medical office or Guest Relations.  No one was picking up her calls ... not only for hours, but for more than a day. It's pretty sad that she had to reach out to the wonderful gentleman who started that thread, and he did manage to get help for her.

The following is an important suggestion, made by someone on the thread. It may help future situations.

“I'm astounded that no one ... just one ... person wasn't TASKED with communications with quarantined passengers on an ongoing basis. There should be someone in Medical (to avoid HIPAA issues and to provide necessary expertise) to triage actual emergent situations and to handle periodic virtual wellness checks. Leaving COVID positive patients without any communication for extended periods of time isn't acceptable. From a patient perspective, it seems that X has completely dropped the ball with their COVID-positive patient management procedures. And from what you good pax have been describing to us, that's exactly what has happened here.
Moreover, as you're at the mercy of the phone response, one small team of 2 or 3 should also have been TASKED with managing the incoming food and drink issues using a separately provided phone number. Being unable to reach a live body under these circumstances isn't acceptable.”

I believe the above poster has a great suggestion. If not a team, perhaps a designated person and phone line for those in quarantine.

I have to be honest, after reading this thread from a Quarantined passenger, I seriously have my doubts as to whether I want to go cruising at this point.

Anxiously awaiting your reply.

Edited by luv2cruise0611
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, luv4cruises said:

That is what I would have expected from Celebrity !  Thank you for your posts! 

I hope to hear from the guests who had to quarantine in hotels and then fly home.  How did Celebrity handle that situation?   I read about reimbursements but would like to know if a good hotel was found for guests who didn’t want to book their own, if new flights were arranged for them to get home? 
I would hope that Covid patients weren’t left to fend for themselves, especially after the stress of quarantine.   I had great faith in Celebrity’s Cruise with Confidence policy. I hope they live up to their stellar reputation.  X has been my favorite cruise line. 

Reading posts on X Captain’s Club FB I learned that a quarantined cruiser is being housed at 4 points Sheraton, a 140/night hotel- not very nice - There are 80 rooms filled with Covid people.  She is receiving 100/day to order food - room service/ Uber eats etc.  She is not sure of arrangements to get her home. These new Covid situations are unprecedented. It is so important to know what can happen if you test positive.  Some cruisers on Edge class ships are being quarantined in porthole cabins- no fresh air.  We need to know all the info in order to make informed decisions as to whether to cruise on not during this Omicron surge.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

That is great to hear!  It is definitely a great idea to have one contact line (with back-ups as needed) for people under quarantine.  I spent much of my career as a project manager and manager of junior project managers, and I can tell you without a doubt that project planning is definitely a skill, and far fewer people possess it than you would think.  Celebrity needs a few good project managers to help them plan this out better!  The number of cases onboard this ship were not at all so extreme that the handling should have been such a mess.  

I think it is pretty clear that Celebrity was blind-sided by Omicron and was not prepared for it.

• Like 1

@luv2cruise0611

Since CC doesn’t require a login to read the forums, web bots called crawlers can pick up email addresses that are posted and spam them, often in bulk. You may want to edit your post and change LLPs email to the following and also make sure it removes the link. 

llutoff-perlo (at) celebritycruises (dot) com

This way honest CC members can still send an email to her office but bots won’t pick up her address. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think it is pretty clear that Celebrity was blind-sided by Omicron and was not prepared for it.

We were on a B2B on this cruise and the one before it.  The first one, also 12 nights, had only 1 case!  I think this cruise was a perfect storm, in a bad way.  There were more pax (I think about 600 more), holiday events on board and Omicron had exploded.  That being said, I was very disappointed in Celebrity's response and agree that they were overwhelmed.  Hopefully, they learned from this sailing and will do better on future cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luv4cruises said:

Reading posts on X Captain’s Club FB I learned that a quarantined cruiser is being housed at 4 points Sheraton, a 140/night hotel- not very nice - There are 80 rooms filled with Covid people.  She is receiving 100/day to order food - room service/ Uber eats etc.  She is not sure of arrangements to get her home. These new Covid situations are unprecedented. It is so important to know what can happen if you test positive.  Some cruisers on Edge class ships are being quarantined in porthole cabins- no fresh air.  We need to know all the info in order to make informed decisions as to whether to cruise on not during this Omicron surge.  

To be fair here, The Four Points by Sheraton is not that bad of a hotel in fact many stay there pre and post cruises.  I personally have stayed there and while it wasn’t my favorite it is definitely was not even close to the worst hotel I have stayed in while in Fort Lauderdale and I would stay there again.   All things aside there are definitely worse places to stay.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hotel conditions notwithstanding ...

There seemed to be some confusion just prior to disembarkation as to whether pax were responsible for locating their own accommodations or whether Celebrity was helping to handle that through pre-arrangement with various hotels.  Can anyone who was party to the actual process elaborate here?

54 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Good Morning Panda Bear,

Just checking in to see how you and Mrs. PB are doing today?

Good morning. Thanks for checking in. 

I THINK that I feel better today, but it’s hard to say. Yesterday, I thought I did, but then later in the day I was exhausted.  

My vitals are in check and no fever for a couple of days. My Dr said I had a mild to moderate case. He said some people feel better after 5 days or so and others feel bad for 2 weeks. No rhyme or reason and no way to know which way each person will go.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Parkerson said:

Good morning. Thanks for checking in. 

I THINK that I feel better today, but it’s hard to say. Yesterday, I thought I did, but then later in the day I was exhausted.  

Do you have one of those nifty finger pulse/oximeter gizmos that allow you to monitor your O2 sat?  Being a little low on air can be tiring, even if you're not exerting yourself.

Hope you're back to normal soon.  And I realize I haven't personally thanked you for detailing your experience here.  There's a chance those that follow will fare better than those on your cruise.  Wouldn't have happened if you hadn't brought your own experience and that of others to everyone's attention.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nextariel said:

Where are you seeing mask requirement in App. I am scheduled on Equinox on 1/21/22and not seeing anything. 

Scheduled for 1/21/22 - am trying to figure out what to do.  Any news if they have been denied access to any ports?  I see where we are no longer going to Jamaica but are now going to Bimini, Bahamas.  Do they test everyday?  Do we just test prior to arrival?  Test at port?  Test before disembarking at each port?  I would hate to go and then just sail around the Caribbean - no port in sight.

19 hours ago, Parkerson said:

I would also like to hear from those that had planned to fly home and how their experience was/is when they disembarked. I had the luxury of being home 5 hours after stepping off the ship. 

I’m currently quarantined to the upstairs while the Mrs and the dog have run of the downstairs. Waiting on my Dr to call now for a virtual visit. Fever is down and blood ox is at 97. Just ready for a long nap after this call. 

She even took the dog?? 

Glad you're feeling better, if still tired.

• Haha 1

I believe the moral of this story is that we all need to have a plan in mind in the event we are on a cruise and develop COVID.

For example, if you are sent to the Q hotel in FL by Celebrity, what is your plan?  I don't want to have to order Uber Eats for every meal, even with a $100 per diem.  If the room has a refrigerator, you can order InstaCart though.  If there is a microwave in the room, you can do more through IC.   I can do wonders with a microwave and an electric skillet in a room.  

On the ship, if only one is Q'd, what is the plan?  Having a non-Q'd advocate is important.  Hopefully HQ makes a new plan to implement in the event they have a larger outbreak on board, so that they can ramp up with more guests in Q.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

Hotel conditions notwithstanding ...

There seemed to be some confusion just prior to disembarkation as to whether pax were responsible for locating their own accommodations or whether Celebrity was helping to handle that through pre-arrangement with various hotels.  Can anyone who was party to the actual process elaborate here?

Exactly. I don’t recall ever being asked where we were going until we were taken down by the debarkation crew. Maybe I had covid-fog, but I truly don’t recall that. When we got downstairs to check our names off the list, they asked where we were going. 

Not sure what the process would have been if we had not driven. I hope Mojo65 will check in and let us know what happened with them. 

The letter indicated that rental car reimbursement was available. Was there an option to just rent a car and then drive to a nicer $350/night hotel, or was everyone at their mercy of hotel choices. 

I haven’t been digging too deep in other threads. Anything like that posted?