EDGE Live Report: Sudden Indoor Mask Mandate On All Celebrity Ships, No Notice Given During Jan 2 Boarding (FLL)

Fly and Sail

On the EDGE right now doing a back to back. Left the ship this morning, everything normal, went to town and back to Pier 25, picked up the Seapass at 11:45am... not a word about masks. Checked my cabin, no notice about masks.

We left port as always ~ 5pm then I went down the elevator and another guests was asking me why I wasn't wearing a mask. I was pretty dumbfolded as there wasn't any announcement to that regard either. Not even a word during the safety check-in at the muster station.

Confirmed with staff, masks are now required INDOORS and a letter (attached) was delivered to my room together with other materials in another guests name.

I'm going pretty balistic over this, had they told me that at the terminal I'd have simply retrieved my bag and flown home. No, they let people board in good faith and push this onto them. The emergency department and manager they referred me to also said the company can no longer let guests disembark early.

The way X is handling this on a cruise that left TODAY is absolutely outrageous. The letter they sent is also full of borderline lies:

"During last weeks sailing more than one percent of our total guests & crew tested positive for Covid19. These guests and crew were disembarked... Additionally, any guest opting to isolate after disembarking was transported to shoreside accommodations. ... " I don't know anyone who was given that option.

As a guest on the previous cruise I certainly didn't know about the 1%+ number. We knew there were cases or close contacts on board but not more. Great that the cruisers on the follow up cruise are now better informed than we were 9 hours ago. Not sure what show X is running here but it doesn't feel all too great anymore being a part of this. I'm not concerned, just severely miffed about their communication and now holding me a week on this ship. I'd rather leave and fly home on my own expense which is now even more difficult since we have left FLL. 🤬

IMG_7934.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would double mask even without this letter, social distance and do more in my cabin.  Omicron is an equal opportunity spreader.  However, we may all get to herd immunity faster!  I understand your frustration, but it is what it is and Celebrity is doing what it feels is prudent at this time.  Yes, super conundrum.  Are you reading about the quarantined posters?  Please do not become one of the statistics because it is not fun.  We were all forewarned about Omicron abd its ability to spread like wildfire...safe travels and make the best of it.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

If you take a look on Instagram, several of the entertainment staff were found positive in your previous sailing and were offloaded on a bus to a land based hotel today. So not quite sure what the boarder line lies are here.... It's a mask. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, ETHTrader said:

"I'm going pretty balistic over this, had they told me that at the terminal I'd have simply retrieved my bag and flown home."

Considering the circumstances and the world that we all live in and the fact that you chose to cruise at this time, did you really think that this was not a possibility? Are you that naive?

I believe the OP is just very frustrated at the moment and needs to vent.  Yes, cruising is a choice with a consequence like life.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I believe the OP is just very frustrated at the moment and needs to vent.  Yes, cruising is a choice with a consequence like life.

I do agree. Simply put, I think I could have spent my week better like driving down to the keys or something. It's not uncommon that I change my travel plans if unforeseen things happen, I'm very flexible in that regard. But to not even get a timely choice when this is being introduced on boarding day doesn't sit right with me. I'm not letting this ruin my entire week but I thought better of Celebrity, the last segment DEC26-Jan2 was awesome and now such a letdown.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

You are cruising during a major Covid outbreak and need to be able to handle changes to protocols. 

I would have been able to handle it perfectly. By withdrawing from the cruise. Not like this was introduced mid-sailing, X knew about this and didn't properly notify the guests.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised about more Covid cases post-cruise after what went on here during NYE. 😂

I am pleased Celebrity is trying to balance maintaining ongoing activity as best they can, and also making sensible and appropriate prompt reactions to new information and new requirements as they evolve.

- Joel

Edited by cl.klink
edits
  • Like 3

Scheduled for the Edge 1/16 as a "back to back" with Oceania beginning 1/4. 

When booking Oceania in early December, masks were not required. Mid December we got the notice that masks would indeed be required. No real option to cancel under Oceania's policies at the time and not sure there are any in place now. Since our "O" cruise leaves Tuesday, we'll mask up and make the best of it- hopefully on an empty ship. 

The real issue is what to do with the Edge sailing. Celebrity allows cancellation up to 48 hours. If masks become intolerable, that is an option. We went into this with the belief that sailing would be safer than going to some resort or staying in town amidst the epicenter of Omichron. That is still our hope but it's getting more difficult to maintain the optimism and belief that sailing with all the controls is at least as safe as not traveling. (staying "at home" is not an option-we would be out doing something everyday anyway so why not cruise?)

Let's see what the first cruise brings. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I agree that the OP is frustrated and perhaps venting but I also understand the OP's point. True these are uncertain times but I understand why the OP would be upset. 

• Haha 1

There is another thread on here where there are people isolated and quarantined with symptoms that, three years ago, would be indicative of a head cold.

At some point the world has to get over this.

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

I would have been able to handle it perfectly. By withdrawing from the cruise. Not like this was introduced mid-sailing, X knew about this and didn't properly notify the guests.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised about more Covid cases post-cruise after what went on here during NYE. 😂

Understand.  The problem is that the decisions are not being made at the ship level, but rather Celebrity HQ in conjunction with the CDC.  I would have cancelled a couple days ago.  As said to others, one needs to do what they can to avoid stress.  If the probability of restrictions and changes bother you then don't travel and especially don't cruise.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RollWave said:

I agree that the OP is frustrated and perhaps venting but I also understand the OP's point. True these are uncertain times but I understand why the OP would be upset. 

Our Edge sailing is January 30th and oddly enough I went out this morning and purchased a box of N95 masks.  As long as the cruise doesn't get cancelled and the US/Canada borders are open we will sail. BTW: There are fewer guests on this ship than what would be in my local mall on any given day.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

From  what I have learned from reading others experience on other X ships  the positive cases seemed to have jumped a lot in the past 2-3 days.  Doubt  that X had any way of knowing that in order to give you notice much earlier.  On other ships people are being notified as the board or in the terminal.  

Since you felt more Covid cases would occur based on what your first hand experience was on NYE did you consider not continuing with your B2B.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

The way X is handling this on a cruise that left TODAY is absolutely outrageous. The letter they sent is also full of borderline lies:

Adjusting policy to account for  a changed situation is outrageous? I have no sympathy for you. Duh........you booked a cruise during a pandemic. 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, jacob22 said:

It’s hard to believe this was unexpected at all given the close watch of all ships by the CDC, the quarantine stories, and the port issues. 

Exactly. And the CDC advising people last week not to take cruises. A lot of CC members posted the last couple of days they cancelled cruises leaving this weekend at the last minute. Some had already arrived in Florida. Should not have been unexpected. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Our Edge sailing is January 30th and oddly enough I went out this morning and purchased a box of N95 masks.  As long as the cruise doesn't get cancelled and the US/Canada borders are open we will sail. BTW: There are fewer guests on this ship than what would be in my local mall on any given day.  

Our biggest concern is Celebrity getting us home to Canada. We sail out on the 9th. Conflicting posts being made. Some are saying that the cruising with confidence applies only to Americans flying home others say it applies to all passengers. Tried to get conformation from Celebrity to no avail.

33 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

1200 guests on the current sailing. ~2300 on the last one. I did enjoy the NYE crowd though, very lively atmosphere. You'll either have an almost private cruise by JAN30 or no cruise at all. 😉

I question the headline, "Sudden Indoor Mask Mandate On All Celebrity Ships".  I see no indication that all Celebrity ships have a mask requirement at this time. In fact, I got an email from Celebrity this afternoon (Jan. 2) reciting their mask policy for kids but no requirement for adults.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I'm going pretty balistic over this, had they told me that at the terminal I'd have simply retrieved my bag and flown home.

🙄 what’s life without a bit of drama? 🙄😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Adjusting policy to account for  a changed situation is outrageous? I have no sympathy for you. Duh........you booked a cruise during a pandemic. 

I don't need any sympathy. The sole point of posting this is to show people that Celebrity despite their good reputation will still bait and switch people. And yes, withholding vital information from a guest prior to a 7-day voyage without any chance of him leaving is outrageous. I don't buy the Covid excuse, the pandemic doesn't excuse dishonesty.

The whole thing will have almost zero impact on me coming to think of it. I'll sit in the Cafe, Eden or on the deck all day with a beverage in front of me (-> no mask) or stay in my cabin.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jelayne said:

From  what I have learned from reading others experience on other X ships  the positive cases seemed to have jumped a lot in the past 2-3 days.  Doubt  that X had any way of knowing that in order to give you notice much earlier.  On other ships people are being notified as the board or in the terminal.  
Since you felt more Covid cases would occur based on what your first hand experience was on NYE did you consider not continuing with your B2B.

It’s more than a few. CDC put the cruise lines on alert by releasing actual numbers. Between 11/29 and 12/14 cruise ships operating in U.S. waters reported 162 cases of COVID-19. Between 12/15 and 12/29 cruise ships sailing in U.S. waters reported 5,013 COVID-19 cases to the CDC. If anyone is shocked masks are back……🙈

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, bob4uall said:

I question the headline, "Sudden Indoor Mask Mandate On All Celebrity Ships".  I see no indication that all Celebrity ships have a mask requirement at this time. In fact, I got an email from Celebrity this afternoon (Jan. 2) reciting their mask policy for kids but no requirement for adults.

Well apparently by this afternoon this information hasn't even reached the ships yet (which I think is a lie) let alone their marketing departments. Speed isn't exactly Celebrity's strong side. We're talking about a company that needs WEEKS to deliver your FCC, CC points and BCC points.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It’s more than a few. CDC put the cruise lines on alert by releasing actual numbers. Between 11/29 and 12/14 cruise ships operating in U.S. waters reported 162 cases of COVID-19. Between 12/15 and 12/29 cruise ships sailing in U.S. waters reported 5,013 COVID-19 cases to the CDC. If anyone is shocked masks are back……🙈

Did I say few?? 

• Like 3