New testing policy?

Fredric22

Based on a letter guests received on the Meraviglia today, it seems that embarkation (at the pier) testing may once again be a requirement for all guests. It isn't clear if you'll still need to pre-test but that wouldn't make much sense to me if they're going to test you at the pier anyway.  Based on the letter, this would go into effect next week.  

2 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Do you mean how the ship is now testing all passengers on approximately day 2?

The letter says that for the current cruise they will be testing on day 2, but starting with the next cruise the testing will be part of the new embarkation process. Still not sure what that means though...

Maybe something to do with this new rule from the Bahamian government? Thought cruisers might be exempt.

Effective Friday, January 7, 2022, the following protocols will take effect:

• All those travelling to The Bahamas from other countries, whether fully vaccinated or unvaccinated, will be required to obtain a negative RT-PCR (including PCR, NAA, NAAT, TMA or RNA) test, taken no more than three days (72 hours) prior to the date of arrival to The Bahamas.
      • Rapid Antigen Tests will no longer be accepted. All travellers must obtain a RT-PCR test. 

11 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I hope that they do embarkation and mid-cruise testing. Omicron is out of control onboard the ships. Looks like the CDC list is solid yellow. The only non-yellow ships are 'crew only'...

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Fcrew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

First of all just stop.  Omicron is not "out of control" on any ship at the moment.  Omicron is out of control on land, everywhere. Just because a ship is yellow does not mean that anything is out of control.  The criteria for yellow is ridiculously small.  

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Maybe something to do with this new rule from the Bahamian government? Thought cruisers might be exempt.

Effective Friday, January 7, 2022, the following protocols will take effect:

• All those travelling to The Bahamas from other countries, whether fully vaccinated or unvaccinated, will be required to obtain a negative RT-PCR (including PCR, NAA, NAAT, TMA or RNA) test, taken no more than three days (72 hours) prior to the date of arrival to The Bahamas.
      • Rapid Antigen Tests will no longer be accepted. All travellers must obtain a RT-PCR test. 

Cruises are exempt.  This is not directly related to the the new rule however, it may have had an influence. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Cruises are exempt.  This is not directly related to the the new rule however, it may have had an influence. 

This is correct...just returned today (well, Sunday) from Carnival Legend and we made 3 stops in the Bahamas.

9 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Based on a letter guests received on the Meraviglia today, it seems that embarkation (at the pier) testing may once again be a requirement for all guests. It isn't clear if you'll still need to pre-test but that wouldn't make much sense to me if they're going to test you at the pier anyway.  Based on the letter, this would go into effect next week.  

So what if I don't agree to that?

Or should I say in part?

Perfect example. New years Eve we were at a ballroom dance with 2 dozen people. Almost all are positive. Not us.

According to the t&c we have been in close contact with those identified as positive.

Now what?

Edited by mscdivina2016

9 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

The criteria for yellow is ridiculously small.  

Word. Any cruise ship regularly testing its crew is almost certainly going to remain in yellow at all times. A single positive among crew turns the ship yellow.

Even if you are generous and think that the tests are only 1 in 1000 false positive, that would mean it is statistically not possible not to be in yellow. Even if the tests were done five years ago.

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

So what if I don't agree to that?

Or should I say in part?

Perfect example. New years Eve we were at a ballroom dance with 2 dozen people. Almost all are positive. Not us.

According to the t&c we have been in close contact with those identified as positive.

Now what?

I only by chance came across this after reading previous posts on CC. However you may find it useful?

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1227-isolation-quarantine-guidance.html

What baffles me is why don't we all know what to do? Is it beyond the power of the CDC to make this public knowledge? In my  opinion this kind of advice should be broadcast on every TV station, Radio station. Posted on every street corner on buses and trains - I think you get the picture!

MSC still hasn’t updated their US site to add this testing change…not really surprised. 
I think it’s a good idea however it once again adds another level of stress worrying about testing positive at embarkation. 

Edited by styles27

11 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

I would still test myself so there’s no surprise. 
At least with the policy now in effect we test at 48hrs so we can utilize the flexible booking option and move the cruise if we test positive. 
If we test positive at the pier what happens then? Do they move our cruise free of charge or do we lose everything unless we have insurance?

32 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I would still test myself so there’s no surprise. 
At least with the policy now in effect we test at 48hrs so we can utilize the flexible booking option and move the cruise if we test positive. 
If we test positive at the pier what happens then? Do they move our cruise free of charge or do we lose everything unless we have insurance?

That would be the "Piece of mind Guarantee" they offer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Nope, It came in an email to me for a cruise this weekend.

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Cruise-With-Confidence.aspx

Reading that it states you had to have purchased the Covid insurance. Purchasing that was not mandatory until recently so many may not have bought it. 

From the site:   "As during a cruise, you may be exposed to specific COVID-19 risks that may not be usually covered by existing insurance policies, to ensure your peace of mind is mandatory for all guests to have in place an insurance policy that specifically covers them against COVID-19 related risks, such as cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization. This should be in place to cover you from the confirmation of your booking until the end of the cruise or your cruise and flight package.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic that the world is still facing, MSC offers a COVID Protection Plan- an insurance policy specifically for these COVID-19 risks and this can be added to the cruise whilst making the booking. The Covid Protection Plan will be extended to the whole Summer 22 season. Guests will be required to provide evidence of their insurance policy and this should include the details of the insurer, the insured amounts and full details of the COVID-19  coverage such as cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and expenses, and hospitalization."

29 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

It's getting a little confusing with people from Europe reporting on this board. No offense- we love Europeans. Our rules appear to be somewhat different.

It is very confusing!  Girli565 appears to be quoiting verbatim from the document that MSC Divina supplied.

43 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I see no mention of insurance in my docs.

My bad.  I opened your link, then opened the "Peace of Mind", and then clicked on "See Details" and then chose "COVID Protection Plan".

2 hours ago, girli565 said:

Reading that it states you had to have purchased the Covid insurance. Purchasing that was not mandatory until recently so many may not have bought it. 

Insurance is not mandatory for US residents on US port departure cruises. At least at this point it’s not 

Edited by styles27
  • Like 1