Is Anyone Else NOT Telling People You Are About To Cruise?

land64shark

1 hour ago, ledges1 said:

I was also thinking that the security issue is the main reason I do not discuss any vacations or time away from home with anyone other than those with a need to know. 

We always have someone staying at the house to tend to the animals so it's not as much of a concern for us. 

On 1/3/2022 at 9:06 PM, land64shark said:

I am finding that I am avoiding letting anyone else know that I am cruising on Thursday (and flying to get there). I just don't want any more of their judgement. I don't want to have to defend or explain myself. Anyone else?

I really don’t care what people think. I love cruising and am so happy I sailed in December. I have two more booked for this year.  It’s your like and you should live it however you wish.  Don’t let others dampen your excitement. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:06 PM, land64shark said:

I am finding that I am avoiding letting anyone else know that I am cruising on Thursday (and flying to get there). I just don't want any more of their judgement. I don't want to have to defend or explain myself. Anyone else?

Over New year's I flew to Puerto Rico, went on a 7 day cruise, stayed two days afterwards in San Juan, and was back at work yesterday morning without anyone other than immediate family knowing...  My place of employment would have probably flipped out and had me quarantine upon returning.... 

I got the comments before and during Covid. The "it must be nice" is a favorite. They say that crap, while they blow 100/week in lunches and another 100 in a bar.  Of course all the other crap just used more during covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zpdw484 said:

Over New year's I flew to Puerto Rico, went on a 7 day cruise, stayed two days afterwards in San Juan, and was back at work yesterday morning without anyone other than immediate family knowing...  My place of employment would have probably flipped out and had me quarantine upon returning.... 

I agree with your approach. Why create drama when it can be avoided. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zpdw484 said:

just curious...did you take a covid test when you returned? you know, just to be sure you and others around you stay healthy.

This is sily, like anything in life, if you are not doing anything wrong then why hide it?  Typically people only try to circumvent the issue (or hide things)  if they know they are doing something that may or may not be quite right?  If you are going to go, then go, if you are doing the right thing then you will not need to be sneaky about it.  Pretty simple!  Have a blast!

I don't discriminate on who knows I use my vacation time and how. My whole office knows I took one in August and another one just a couple weeks ago over our Christmas/Winter Break. Didn't get any direct judgement. Some genuine curiosity and questions about how it was. I couldn't care any less if they say things when I'm not around, though. They don't cash my paycheck.

As others have pointed out, barely anyone at our local Meijer, Walmart, Target, etc. wears a mask while around strangers, no one checks vaccination status there, I walk into a local restaurant and no one is masked while not eating, in my office we are public-facing and welcome in visitors (although masks are required in our buildings), and people in my office have been inviting each other out for "happy hours" at local breweries. I know we all have hesitations about our interactions in our lives and work and want to be as cautious as possible while still enjoying life, but if they're worried about me cruising, then I'm worried about their unhealthy obsession with my vacations for other reasons. 

Some people like talk about their vacations and where they are going in normal conversation. Others like to  live their life as a reality show on the internet and others are more private about their life. Is any approach wrong? No, it may come down to their personality.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 8:41 PM, karma459 said:

I'm also keeping it quiet because I"m a Southern woman going on her first SOLO Cruise.. and have mercy the chaos and concern and horror stories I would hear between now and then would be exhausting! 

Doesn't matter that I've been on 17 cruises before, and nevermind the fact that I travel internationally in the "before times" for business regularly (surprise! alone!) and that I've taken other land based vacations alone... somehow, somepeople will deeply believe I'm guaranteeing my own demise if I get on a boat full of vaccinated people, with a large security team and cameras everywhere... the horror! 

Just call me a rebel with a mask and no one to share the cabin with! 

Oof! I feel that! I cruise solo quite frequently simply because I enjoy it, and get more comments from other cruisers on board than anything. My favorite, "You're so BRAVE! I couldn't do it!" Being a military gal, I like to respond, "Well, I spent a year in Iraq by myself, so I imagine I'll be ok on this cruise ship." 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ledges1 said:

Some people like talk about their vacations and where they are going in normal conversation. Others like to  live their life as a reality show on the internet and others are more private about their life. Is any approach wrong? No, it may come down to their personality.

I agree.. personally I hate drama, so I avoid it if possible.

3 hours ago, cyclist_guy1 said:

just curious...did you take a covid test when you returned? you know, just to be sure you and others around you stay healthy.

Yes we had several of the emed tests leftover that were close to expiration and used them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cyclist_guy1 said:

Why would I do that if I have no symptoms? I am around far fewer people who are unvaccinated and untested on the ship than I am around my home. 

9 hours ago, sammee said:

I got the comments before and during Covid. The "it must be nice" is a favorite. They say that crap, while they blow 100/week in lunches and another 100 in a bar.  Of course all the other crap just used more during covid.

We've gotten that, especially from my wife's sister. I figured it up once, with their car payments and multiple shopping trips each week and all the fast food and...they had to be bringing in at LEAST as much as we were, probably more. Plus we had two extra kids. She (wife's sister) was jealous because she wanted what she already had PLUS what we had...doesn't work that way. If it'd been my family doing that, they'd be getting an earful of "must be nice to have TWO new cars, must be nice to go out to restaurants multiple times a week, must be nice to be go shopping multiple times a week for stuff you'll never use and eventually throw away..."

In regards to our recent holidays, no push-back, but we don't really advertise/brag about our trips on social media. Sometimes I'll post a cute photo, that's the only time Facebook friends would find out about a trip.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

This is sily, like anything in life, if you are not doing anything wrong then why hide it?  Typically people only try to circumvent the issue (or hide things)  if they know they are doing something that may or may not be quite right?  If you are going to go, then go, if you are doing the right thing then you will not need to be sneaky about it.  Pretty simple!  Have a blast!

I don't consider not telling everyone every move I make as being sneaky.  As I said in my other post on this subject, I don't tell people that we are going to be away  from our home so that we don't get broken into again.  I also don't tell people that I have a doctor appointment or am going to get groceries.  I'm not hiding anything.  I'm just not broadcasting what I'm doing.  It's nobody's business but mine.

• Like 2