Is Anyone Else NOT Telling People You Are About To Cruise?

land64shark

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, land64shark said:

I am finding that I am avoiding letting anyone else know that I am cruising on Thursday (and flying to get there). I just don't want any more of their judgement. I don't want to have to defend or explain myself. Anyone else?

No, just avoiding cruising till things calm down with this virus. Enjoy and be safe !

Oh yeah! People think we're absolutely nuts. So our issue is that we can't get a refund for our flights or cruise fare. American is only offering a 3 month flight credit??? ***** didn't these used to be good for at least 1 year? And unlike Carnival, RCI isn't offering refunds only FCC that are only good for 1 year. There are no cruises before 2023 that are even remotely affordable in their star class suites. We feel forced to go, but we're excited nonetheless.

• Like 3

I'm not telling anyone other than my close family (kids, sister, etc).. partially due to the BIG THING.. but  as mentioned this form of travel is just about as "safe" as any form of travel can be! I'm certainly more "at risk" in my Uber to the airport, on the airplane, walking through the airport to the uber, getting groceries, etc.. and I have 4 kids - 2 still in school-  so yeah... good luck trying to keep a "contaminant free" home to begin with.. kids catch and spread everything with gusto and nar a worry! 😉 

I'm also keeping it quiet because I"m a Southern woman going on her first SOLO Cruise.. and have mercy the chaos and concern and horror stories I would hear between now and then would be exhausting! 

Doesn't matter that I've been on 17 cruises before, and nevermind the fact that I travel internationally in the "before times" for business regularly (surprise! alone!) and that I've taken other land based vacations alone... somehow, somepeople will deeply believe I'm guaranteeing my own demise if I get on a boat full of vaccinated people, with a large security team and cameras everywhere... the horror! 

Just call me a rebel with a mask and no one to share the cabin with! 

Edited by karma459
  • Like 9
  • Haha 5

Lol doesnt bother me. My bil thinks covid is over blown. He already was in the hospital for covid but thinks it's not that bad and still not getting vaccinated.  .. cruising is nothing. I keep having to explain that yes covid worries me as it might keep me off a cruise lolol. 

• Like 2

Haven't had anyone tell me anything negative about the numerous vacations I took last year to Vegas or the cruise I took in Oct. I just told my HR person at work I was cruising in Feb and she said I'm happy for you. I have a very small family and small group of friends, no drama at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, land64shark said:

I am finding that I am avoiding letting anyone else know that I am cruising on Thursday (and flying to get there). I just don't want any more of their judgement. I don't want to have to defend or explain myself. Anyone else?

Good for you, Live your life for you, not theirs, We leave on Saturday on our cruise, and I plan to

have the time of my life, don't care what anyone else thinks, or says,  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, land64shark said:

I don't care what anyone thinks about my plans with my money and my life.  If one should dare, I am pretty sure they would "benefit" from my feedback on their life choices.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, karma459 said:

I'm not telling anyone other than my close family (kids, sister, etc).. partially due to the BIG THING.. but  as mentioned this form of travel is just about as "safe" as any form of travel can be! I'm certainly more "at risk" in my Uber to the airport, on the airplane, walking through the airport to the uber, getting groceries, etc.. and I have 4 kids - 2 still in school-  so yeah... good luck trying to keep a "contaminant free" home to begin with.. kids catch and spread everything with gusto and nar a worry! 😉 

I'm also keeping it quiet because I"m a Southern woman going on her first SOLO Cruise.. and have mercy the chaos and concern and horror stories I would hear between now and then would be exhausting! 

Doesn't matter that I've been on 17 cruises before, and nevermind the fact that I travel internationally in the "before times" for business regularly (surprise! alone!) and that I've taken other land based vacations alone... somehow, somepeople will deeply believe I'm guaranteeing my own demise if I get on a boat full of vaccinated people, with a large security team and cameras everywhere... the horror! 

Just call me a rebel with a mask and no one to share the cabin with! 

The "Most Dangerous Thing" I have ever come across on a cruise is a family of lovely southern ladies with their families and their one SINGLE  brother.  Bless their hearts, those wonderful Georgian Peach accents could have talked me into anything,   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
20 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The "Most Dangerous Thing" I have ever come across on a cruise is a family of lovely southern ladies with their families and their one SINGLE  brother.  Bless their hearts, those wonderful Georgian Peach accents could have talked me into anything,   

😲 See the source image

I am a grown man. I live my life to please myself not to worry about what other people think. Tell them the facts. If they think they are safer at Walmart then a cruise ship then they do not believe in science. That shuts them up right away. Cruise ship infraction rate is .08 percent, New York City is over 10 percent. 

• Like 12

I'm also not interested in telling people and hearing how dangerous and terrible it is. I just got over COVID round 3 and I'm not in the least bit concerned. Never was.

Sitting in the sun by a pool/beach is a death wish. While staying here to go to Walmart, bars, work etc and all other activities indoors in this cold season up here is safe.  The world we live in has lost so much common sense.

• Like 10

I had to be cautious as I'm in Canada and there is currently a travel advisory. it's not a ban but the hoops I had to jump through to get to and from Canada were excessive.

I told my friends and colleagues who are my friends but was worried about my work situation.

I'm not keeping it a secret but whereas before I'd tell my students (i'm a teacher) where I went for vacation, I will not do that this time.

It's more the optics as this whole Covid thing has created stress, and people taking political sides.

• Like 3

I completely understand the hesitation to share. I have told friends and family and posted some about my upcoming cruise (9 days!!) on social media but have done so holding my breath. And I won’t be posting neatly as many pictures as I might another time. I am not concerned at all and really don’t care what others might think BUT I really don’t want to get into a discussion/debate about it. I understand and appreciate others right to a different opinion than mine on any number of subjects not just cruising, but I just don’t want to discuss it!

• Like 1

Nahh, I'm not keeping my upcoming cruise much of a secret.  Heck, I actually posted about it on VisageTome, hoping to get someone to come along for $35/pp.  😄   

To my surprise, no Nattering Nabobs of Negativity weighed in and gave me the stink-eye about it.  If they had, well....  My friends list needs pruning anyway.  See ya!  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I only tell my close  Relatives and Friends..It's none of anyone's business really what I do with my money.

Can you imagine telling your boss that you will be cruising during a pandemic and then get fired? Everyone is so happy for you. You got approved by everyone to take off . As soon as you return you are called in by HR and your reporting boss. They inform you that because you violated company policy of no foreign travel you have been terminated. Aah the nightmares😁

We don't plan on taking a cruise until all of the restrictions are over.  If and when we do, we still won't let too many people know about it until after it's over.  We learned the hard way.

After getting our house broken into while on vacation, we learned to only tell our neighbor who takes care of our cats while we're gone and our bank so that they know we will be using our credit card out of town.

And we definitely don't mention it on Facebook.  

• Like 9

Last January we went to Cancun for two weeks and carefully told NOBODY.  

This January Carnival made an offer we couldn't refuse.  We've vaxxed, boosted and always mask in public.  I'll live on my balcony and room service, if necessary, but can't wait to be at sea again. 

We aren't hiding our cruise, but we're not advertising it either.  Have mentioned on FB.  

• Like 5

10 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

American is only offering a 3 month flight credit??? ***** didn't these used to be good for at least 1 year? 

We fly Delta and they offer free flight changes as long as you are in the main cabin or above (basically, can not have purchased the economy ticket).  you can do this up until departure.  We have changed once already.  was issued a flight credit on our Delta account and then used it a few weeks later when we booked something different...

With no change fees, you have the flexibility to change the date, time or location of your trip prior to departure without a fee in My Trips.

• Like 1