Is Anyone Else NOT Telling People You Are About To Cruise?

land64shark

I have no qualms with telling people we're cruising. If they make comments I tell them it's my life, not theirs, and I'll do what works for me. I also tell them cruising is safer than going grocery shopping considering the requirements to cruise. Who asks if you're vaccinated at the door of Publix, Wally world or Winn Dixie? And, no mask needed there.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, valandemmy said:

We fly Delta and they offer free flight changes as long as you are in the main cabin or above (basically, can not have purchased the economy ticket).  you can do this up until departure.  We have changed once already.  was issued a flight credit on our Delta account and then used it a few weeks later when we booked something different...

With no change fees, you have the flexibility to change the date, time or location of your trip prior to departure without a fee in My Trips.

I'm better off buying another airlines fare plus a cancel fee than paying for a delta main cabin. 

11 hours ago, land64shark said:

I am finding that I am avoiding letting anyone else know that I am cruising on Thursday (and flying to get there). I just don't want any more of their judgement. I don't want to have to defend or explain myself. Anyone else?

We are telling people and don't care what they say or think. We are also flying to Florida in a week or so for a long weekend. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I'm better off buying another airlines fare plus a cancel fee than paying for a delta main cabin. 

Really?  They aren't as cheap as the budget airlines, but they are usually on par with most of the big names....at least where we live.  

I am concealing all my travel from anyone who is not on a need to know basis from now on. Learned my lesson last year when work for about a month had the policy of everyone quarantine who travelled out of state. When I went to Key West in October and anyone asked what I was doing for the week off. Just staying at home and relaxing. 

13 hours ago, jsglow said:

I honestly could care less what somebody else thinks and that goes way beyond Covid.  I respect others' decisions.  I expect the same in return.

This is the answer you’re looking for. 

• Like 2

We just got back from a New Year Cruise.  Stayed away from friends at home before going on cruise.  Had a wonderful time.  Still healthy but three of our friends that stayed home got Covid.  I believe we were better on the ship than at home. Trying to cruise this next week if we can get a test within 2 days before.  

I'm not a vocal about it as i used to be mainly because even pre covid many questioned why i cruise.  sorry, not sorry that i like to take a break & vacation in an affordable & convenient way.  Last year, before the restart i did get "are you crazy" looks.  now i'm not hiding it, just on a need to know basis....my boss, my employees, my coverage person & immediate family my absence may affect.  But after i get back, i'm so excited talking about it non-stop i have noticed a few people stay away 😄 but for the most part many are excited to see pictures & hear about my trip

15 hours ago, land64shark said:

I am finding that I am avoiding letting anyone else know that I am cruising on Thursday (and flying to get there). I just don't want any more of their judgement. I don't want to have to defend or explain myself. Anyone else?

Whats the objection?

I went to the doctor for a check up and to get a prescription for my Transderm patches. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I asked for the patches. It was too funny. She and her family of 16 had just returned from a cruise out of Florida. This was before omicron but she was very impressed by the cruise line and their handling of Covid restrictions and cleanliness. She was ready to go back. She had a great time and felt very safe. 

6 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

I have no qualms with telling people we're cruising. If they make comments I tell them it's my life, not theirs, and I'll do what works for me. I also tell them cruising is safer than going grocery shopping considering the requirements to cruise. Who asks if you're vaccinated at the door of Publix, Wally world or Winn Dixie? And, no mask needed there.

EXACTLY!  I felt SO MUCH SAFER on our Christmas cruise than I ever have while shopping at WM, Target, eating at restaurants, etc.  And believe me, that ship was way cleaner than those places! I think a lot of people are just jealous of us cruisers and want to give us crap about it.  So sick of it all.  If I wanted their opinion I would have asked for it, which I didn't.  You live your life and I'll live mine.....on the open seas with a drink in my hand! 🍹 Thanks to the OP for this thread - thought it was just me who felt this way.  

• Like 2

No choice in my case.

All international travel - including personal must be registered in advance and I have to do a travel briefing before and after the trip. Beginning in 2022, there is now an added step where it must be approved by them as well (yes, even personal trips that are international). My company basically put in their policy to assume that it's approved unless there is an issue brought up when providing the itinerary.

The consideration I WOULD give not disclosing isn't (for me) about the 'vid... it's about how many / frequent my cruises are... And that does come up... "Wait, you're going on ANOTHER..."

• Thanks 1

We rescheduled due to Covid, the airlines issues, testing requirements, and other personal issues that just began to add up to one logical conclusion.  We rescheduled in May.  We were able to move the cruise, airlines, without penalty.  I went back to work on Monday, I am a teacher in an elementary school, Covid has become very prevalent in our area. (this is not even Omicron) our health department said that Omicron has not reached our area as of yet.  We have a lot of people out sick with Covid.  Some are trying to get infusion treatments and the treatments can not be found.  Testing for Covid has long lines.  I had originally taken off for two weeks. then I find out the school wants me to be off for five days and tested before I come back.  Which I think, is reasonable, but that is a long time to be gone as teaching shortages are a factor in our area.  I told my husband, can you imagine if we came back from our cruise and then Omicron hit our area and people started getting it. I would be the first one they blame due to cruising being such a hot topic in the news right now.  I opted to cruise at the end of the school year where I won't have to worry about exposing the kids and staff.   

Edited by MikeandLinda2010
  • Like 3

I cannot believe people are so quick to stroke their "shaming" finger at people for how they live their lives. These same pearl clutchers do not hesitate to fill the Rose Bowl with 105,000 football fans, stand in a line, rockets to sockets, for a covid test (social distancing has gone out the window it seems), and pack theme parks to capacity.

It seems to me a ship with verified vaccinations, and recent tests, are safer than plying the aisles of any big box retailers, or sitting maskless for hours having a nosh.

I don't hesitate telling anyone what my plans are on my vacation.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Benbrook said:

I am a grown man. I live my life to please myself not to worry about what other people think. Tell them the facts. If they think they are safer at Walmart then a cruise ship then they do not believe in science. That shuts them up right away. Cruise ship infraction rate is .08 percent, New York City is over 10 percent. 

I'm pro cruise, just got off the Glory on 12/12 and went on two other cruises since the restart

Yellow highlight is absolutely the right way to go about it, simply just own it, state its a calculated risk.

Green highlight is a bit fuzzy which is why I wouldn't bother bringing it up; its all about the timeline, at this very moment the overall average is over .08%.  RCL has come up with a creative solution for their crew who test positive, they drop them off at port and the passenger-less Vision of the Seas picks them up and quarantines them.  However, that ship was reaching capacity and they had to pull in a second passenger-less ship, the Rhapsody of the Seas.  That allows the passenger ships to say their on board infection rates are lower.

23 hours ago, land64shark said:

I did that for our first post covid cruise back in Sept but now i honestly dont care anymore. People can judge us all they want, ive done enough research and feel comfortable enough with the protocols to make an educated decision.

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

I cannot believe people are so quick to stroke their "shaming" finger at people for how they live their lives. These same pearl clutchers do not hesitate to fill the Rose Bowl with 105,000 football fans, stand in a line, rockets to sockets, for a covid test (social distancing has gone out the window it seems), and pack theme parks to capacity.

It seems to me a ship with verified vaccinations, and recent tests, are safer than plying the aisles of any big box retailers, or sitting maskless for hours having a nosh.

I don't hesitate telling anyone what my plans are on my vacation.

Im 100% using rockets to sockets in every day life now. I also have no clue what "having a nosh" means

On 1/3/2022 at 9:06 PM, land64shark said:

Nope.  Cruising 2/26 on the Vista.  If it comes up in conversation, I tell people what we're doing.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:06 PM, land64shark said:

And have others, LATER finding out I went on a cruise, think 'Wow, I guess he feels like he's somehow doing something he's embarrassed about or something 'dirty'. Besides I don't want anybody to feel like I somehow NEED their 'approval'. Had the same feelings and conversation with my Mom when I turned 21.

Mac

9 hours ago, Brkintx said:

No choice in my case.

All international travel - including personal must be registered in advance and I have to do a travel briefing before and after the trip. Beginning in 2022, there is now an added step where it must be approved by them as well (yes, even personal trips that are international). My company basically put in their policy to assume that it's approved unless there is an issue brought up when providing the itinerary.

The consideration I WOULD give not disclosing isn't (for me) about the 'vid... it's about how many / frequent my cruises are... And that does come up... "Wait, you're going on ANOTHER..."

Sounds like an illegal contract and it's probably unenforceable. I never heard of an employer doing this (well besides our favorite uncle Sam). Most people think that because a contract exists and/or is signed that it must be legal and binding when it's anything but. Get your cruise on!   

Edited by cruisingguy007

12 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Sounds like an illegal contract and it's probably unenforceable. I never heard of an employer doing this (well besides our favorite uncle Sam). Most people think that because a contract exists and/or is signed that it must be legal and binding when it's anything but. Get your cruise on!   

No illegal contract in this case. 

It's not oppressive, it's simply risk management and perfectly appropriate for many positions of trust in organizations of all types. 

21 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

[...]  we still won't let too many people know about it until after it's over.  We learned the hard way.

After getting our house broken into while on vacation, we learned to only tell our neighbor who takes care of our cats while we're gone and our bank so that they know we will be using our credit card out of town.

And we definitely don't mention it on Facebook.  

Good point regarding home security and one worth repeating.  Not just about cruises but for ANY long-term absence from home:  best not to advertise it in public.  It's ridiculously easy to obtain almost anyone's home address these days.

When I posted on FB looking for a possible second person for my February cruise, I was careful not to specify the exact dates, the ship, or even the cruise line or the homeport.  Just a rough timeframe ("mid to late February") and the $35 fare and that was IT.   

As a general rule, I don't post publicly that I'm on a trip until after it's over, or (sometimes) when I'm on the final leg of the return journey.   

Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Brkintx said:

That's a more typical reaction.🙂

• Haha 1