Portable fan for stateroom

We just got off Brilliance yesterday and had a problem with the room being way too hot. I went to guest services when we first got in the room and they supposedly sent someone to check it out.  They left a generic repair card in the door with no detail , just said “fixed”.

well it wasn’t fixed, I asked GS for a fan, they said they don’t have fans…….but our wonderful stateroom attendant found a huge box fan for us.  It took up the whole counter, but at least we weren’t sweating.  They eventually had to come back because it was unbearable in there when the sun was blasting in….turns out the fan for the AC was dead….. of course they couldn’t fix it. I’m thinking whoever was booked for the cruise now got moved…..

Anyway, the point is, I want to bring my own portable fan for the room for the future. So, what’s the best small fan? 

I have this fan from Amazon and it works well.  I haven't had it on a cruise yet since they kept getting cancelled but I am bringing it with me next week for my cruise out of San Juan.  Amazon.com: viniper Battery Operated Fan, Small Desk Fan : 3 Speeds & 8-24 Hours Longer Working, 180° Rotation, Optimised Portable USB Rechargeable Fan , Small but Mighty, Strong Wind (6.2 inch, White) : Electronics

• Like 1

We were on the Brilliance 12/16 and had the same issue.  I actually heard one other person talking to their Cabin Attendant about the AC in their stateroom, as well.  We had maintenance come back twice to get it right, which they finally did.  Just out of curiosity, were you aft?  As far as a fan-yes.  We (fortunately) always carry on a small fan. The Vornado Flippi packs a nice little punch. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, keacat said:

We were on the Brilliance 12/16 and had the same issue.  I actually heard one other person talking to their Cabin Attendant about the AC in their stateroom, as well.  We had maintenance come back twice to get it right, which they finally did.  Just out of curiosity, were you aft?  As far as a fan-yes.  We (fortunately) always carry on a small fan. The Vornado Flippi packs a nice little punch. 

No we were n the starboard side right in the middle of the ship. We’ve been on all 4 Radiance class ships and never had this issue before. In fact we sailed Serenade in November and everything was perfect.
IMO Brilliance needs work, it was sad to me to see the shape it’s in. I always loved that ship…..still do!

thanks for the recommendation… I’ll check out that fan. We’re looking for something smallish.

Edited by lovesthebeach2

Can't track down which fan I have to link; but magnetic hooks plus a fan with rechargeable batteries means you can put the fan pretty much anywhere you want. Have found a smaller fan right over head to be the trick, as opposed to a small one across the room that's barely noticeable, or a larger one that feels good but takes up too much suitcase space. All personal preference, but that's what works for us.

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Pretty sure that is not on the prohibited list, though the size/details of it may matter.

Do they let you bring rechargeable battery fans?  It would seem rechargeable battery type of stuff would be prohibited due to fire hazard.  Regardless, I have a small vornado plug in fan I use on my outdoor kitchen/bar and those things really do pack a punch for their size.  So I second the other mention on a vorando fan.  

10 minutes ago, topnole said:

Do they let you bring rechargeable battery fans?

Again, it depends on the size/details - most should be fine. It also may matter if try to bring it on in carry on or checked luggage (staff on the ship may have slightly different criteria than the staff at the security check point in the terminal).

Edited by Biker19

6 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

No we were n the starboard side right in the middle of the ship. We’ve been on all 4 Radiance class ships and never had this issue before. In fact we sailed Serenade in November and everything was perfect.
IMO Brilliance needs work, it was sad to me to see the shape it’s in. I always loved that ship…..still do!

thanks for the recommendation… I’ll check out that fan. We’re looking for something smallish.

We had 3 interior cabins in a row a couple weeks ago on her and 2 of the 3 had issues with the power. They came and resolved them pretty quickly. 

I had the temp all the way down in my cabin and seemed to work just fine. Not fighting the sun in an interior though. 

4 hours ago, banderboo said:

Thanks for this recommendation! Just ordered myself one. Love that it's extendable and hopefully high enough that it can on the floor and still blow on my face. I also take USB extension cables with us.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We take this one on all our vacations. 

0C248F5C-9951-4767-B4D9-BFA412F6E732.thumb.jpeg.224ddf081ae73e61c6c1e1c4d59fc42b.jpeg

1A655DC9-061B-4DC0-A51D-12D469AE7C07.thumb.jpeg.486a9bade07cd085d7f9f2fee0f42cd6.jpeg

0B7E2CA8-3139-4B30-A66F-94B0D5D8A528.thumb.jpeg.a27bf6ecd83542c990a6903c084092c1.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jingerwoppy said:

Got my wife a fan like the O2Cool fan years back and she likes it.

so funny you both mention this fan, our cruising friends just gave me this fan last night, she said she had two, so she gave me one!
So I’ll give it a try when we go to Disney in a couple of weeks and see if I think it will work on a ship. Thanks!

• Like 1