NCL cancels cruise night before departure

carribbound

17 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That's good to hear Antigua is still open.  Just heard Anthem is docking there this morning.  

Carnival Freedom was there earlier this week, but today were denied at St. Kitts...

2 hours ago, bmarts said:

I’m going to be beyond pissed if my February cruise cancels. People need to be allowed to make their own choices. 

Someone posted this, hypothetically speaking, suppose the Head Chef gets quarantined that means all his assistants ( close contact) join him.

Who cooks, can you imagine the uproar from pax, there are already enough crew being quarantined to disrupt sailings. Checkout NCL board.

You talk about choices, that’s exactly what cruise lines are doing “choosing” to operate “on the fly” with things changing daily. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmarts said:

I’m going to be beyond pissed if my February cruise cancels. People need to be allowed to make their own choices. 

It isn't about letting people make their own choices.  If they don't have the staff to do the work, they can't provide the service.

We've already been seeing the effects of Omicron in the workforce here.  It looks like the cruise lines are as well.  It is something a lot of people are struggling with. The airlines in Canada are experiencing it. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

To be fair, if they are cancelling due to staffing issues, it is likely that Carnival will experience similar issues.  

Actually some said rcl and carnival because they are larger than ncl are more able to switch crew around or offload them to a unused ship.

It's also been speculated those 2 ships had a issue similar to what's been said about cunard, the positive cases hit the crew driving the ship. Can switch out a waiter easier than the captain. Depends who got hot with covid. Also the pearl going to Panama.. several of those ports closed down. Maybe not the time to book Panama.. though it's on my list. For sure I want to go.

So while it's interesting, unless carnival loses too many who are those in the category whatever they call them .. driving the boat folks  pilots? Idk .. it's a matter of luck imo.

Maybe I'll try Panama 2023. Do boring this year is still my plan.

Just now, firefly333 said:

Actually some said rcl and carnival because they are larger than ncl are more able to switch crew around or offload them to a unused ship.

It's also been speculated those 2 ships had a issue similar to what's been said about cunard, the positive cases hit the crew driving the ship. Can switch out a waiter easier than the captain. Depends who got hot with covid. Also the pearl going to Panama.. several of those ports closed down. Maybe not the time to book Panama.. though it's on my list. For sure I want to go.

So while it's interesting, unless carnival loses too many who are those in the category whatever they call them .. driving the boat folks  pilots? Idk .. it's a matter of luck imo.

Maybe I'll try Panama 2023. Do boring this year is still my plan.

I don't know if I agree.  Where I live has been pretty quiet with covid over the whole pandemic.  Very low numbers.  Omicron has been a game changer.  Where I used to know only one or two people personally who had it or had to quarantine from exposure, right now, huge numbers are quarantining and I know tons of people with it.  It is very transmissible.  I know staffing is a major concern in many businesses right now as a result. 

Carnival may be able to keep more cruises running but I wouldn't be surprised to see some being cancelled.  It is something I'll be watching for sure.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

It isn't about letting people make their own choices.  If they don't have the staff to do the work, they can't provide the service.

We've already been seeing the effects of Omicron in the workforce here.  It looks like the cruise lines are as well.  It is something a lot of people are struggling with. The airlines in Canada are experiencing it. 

This is true. Cruise lines can't just transfer crew around without following protocol, including quarantining new staff.

15 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Life Pro Tip - it always comes down to a math problem.  Unfortunately the numbers don't lie.  Flying the other day for work I considered that 10% of the passengers were covid positive. 

Let's just say 1%.  Exceedingly contagious.  R value of 5.  Passenger count 2000.  20 Day 0.  100 Day 3.  500 Day 6. 

Cumulative peak in 2 weeks from now in the US, maybe sooner.

I have been 110% against lockdowns.  Still am.  I am 110% against mandates.  Still am.   But as a cruise line, I'm bleeding cash again.  Crew changes, lost passengers, sick bay care, almost free cruise rates, FCC, etc. 

I would cancel 4 weeks, heal the crews.  Sounds like a huge loss.  It is, but not as big as if they keep running right now.

Like I said - it's a math problem.  And no government involvement required.

[Epilogue - Look out though.  When this storm passes, it will be wide open for FUN!]

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

I don't know if I agree.  Where I live has been pretty quiet with covid over the whole pandemic.  Very low numbers.  Omicron has been a game changer.  Where I used to know only one or two people personally who had it or had to quarantine from exposure, right now, huge numbers are quarantining and I know tons of people with it.  It is very transmissible.  I know staffing is a major concern in many businesses right now as a result. 

Carnival may be able to keep more cruises running but I wouldn't be surprised to see some being cancelled.  It is something I'll be watching for sure.  

I'm not sure we disagree. I said I saw a post that said it's probably easier for carnival and rcl to manage covid positive crew than ncl because its smaller.

That's not to say both cant be hit with cancellations. We all are watching carefully. Idk if rcl posters are seeing worse things than carnival posters but they are making a lot more noise and complaints. Hopefully this doesnt pressure lines to cancel. Fingers crossed we get thru this peak and out the other side with cruising intact.

• Like 1

Wow! We are just off a great New Years cruise on the Pride and I feel so blessed that we had a COVID -free cruise. Part of me feels we just missed the spike in cases. Part of me feels we just got lucky. 
I truly hope we can be done with this pandemic soon and get back to healthy cruising. My thoughts are with those of you that are full of anxiety/indecision about upcoming much-needed vacations. 

• Like 1

The squeaky honchos at the CDC are adding to the difficulties of operating a cruise line. Them suggesting people not go, combined with difficulty getting proper provisions, staffing issues with the virus taking out significant crew, and scared foreign governments "pulling up the drawbridge," I think it is amazing only a few cancellations out of a couple hundred ships world wide have been affected.

All we can do is sit back and watch, and not allow anger and misplaced disappointment to raise blood pressure.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Moviela said:

All we can do is sit back and watch, and not allow anger and misplaced disappointment to raise blood pressure.

I would suggest sitting back and relaxing on a cruise ship. It's what I'm currently doing.

• Like 2