**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #2 **** JANUARY 6, 2002

CeleBrat

We are boarding the Horizon tomorrow. We did the Binax Now at home test and it was a breeze. It is proctored online and can be done any time of day 24/7. Like the cruiser above mentioned, you just buy them online then use them on the date you need them. Just make sure to get the “at home” test that’s proctored, not the “self test.”

And as soon as I was done with the test my results were in my email. Plus I have the results stored in my NAVICA app (the app this company uses) just in case there are questions about it. I’m a night owl so I did my test at 1:30 am.

I’ve heard too many scary stories of people setting up tests at CVS or Walgreens and then the tests getting canceled last minute leaving them scrambling to get tested. My daughter got her CVS test canceled in the past for a different situation so I know it’s something they regularly do. I felt safer having the needed test there in my home ready to be used when needed. 

• Like 1

I do CVS, it's less than a mile from my house, if any issues I can easily do Walgreens right across the street or the health department too. Luckily I have plenty of options in my area. Others don't, I get that, those proctored at-home tests are a good option for them.

17 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

I’ve heard too many scary stories of people setting up tests at CVS or Walgreens and then the tests getting canceled last minute leaving them scrambling to get tested. My daughter got her CVS test canceled in the past for a different situation so I know it’s something they regularly do. I felt safer having the needed test there in my home ready to be used when needed. 

We haven't had the experience of the CVS Rapid test being cancelled, but have bought some proctored tests from eMed as the ultimate 'back-up'

I cruise on Sunday March 6th. I plan on doing the proctored Abbot test on Friday the 4th. My question is on the timing of the test.  My husband and I both have to work Friday.  I can take my test at work no problem. My husband is not good with technology though and I’m not sure how he’d do on his own. I would really prefer to be there to guide him through. If we wait til after work say like 6pm on Friday night would that be too late to test? We just booked this cruise Monday so I feel like I’m scrambling to to figure out the protocols. Thanks

1 hour ago, LynnB said:

I cruise on Sunday March 6th. I plan on doing the proctored Abbot test on Friday the 4th. My question is on the timing of the test.  My husband and I both have to work Friday.  I can take my test at work no problem. My husband is not good with technology though and I’m not sure how he’d do on his own. I would really prefer to be there to guide him through. If we wait til after work say like 6pm on Friday night would that be too late to test? We just booked this cruise Monday so I feel like I’m scrambling to to figure out the protocols. Thanks

My experiences and the experiences I have read and seen say that the time is no problem for the proctors, as long as you two are ready to be tested.  BTW, it's fine to help someone take the test.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, Andersoncd said:

If you test positive for covid 11 days before cruise, but then negative within the 2 days prior, are you OK to cruise? Do they ask you if you ever had covid before, or check the cdc database?

Another wrinkle to that is the Advanced Screening Quesionnaire you fill out 72 hours prior to departure. In that, one of the questions is "have you tested positive for Covid-19 within 14 days of departure? Not sure what happens after that if you indicate Yes, that didn't happen for us yet (I did test positive 2 days before our January cruise so we couldn't go.)

Then, when you're actually checking in, they have the same list of questions, and you are asked if you need to update your prior answers to any of those questions. 

However, it is up to you how honest you are; they don't have access to your personal medical information. 

On 2/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, Andersoncd said:

If you test positive for covid 11 days before cruise, but then negative within the 2 days prior, are you OK to cruise? Do they ask you if you ever had covid before, or check the cdc database?

Another wrinkle to that is the Advanced Screening Quesionnaire you fill out 72 hours prior to departure. In that, one of the questions is "have you tested positive for Covid-19 within 14 days of departure? Not sure what happens after that if you indicate Yes, that didn't happen for us yet (I did test positive 2 days before our January cruise so we couldn't go.)

Then, when you're actually checking in, they have the same list of questions, and you are asked if you need to update your prior answers to any of those questions. 

However, it is up to you how honest you are; they don't have access to your personal medical information. 

Have used Walgreens for last 2 cruises - very easy and at no cost.  Prior to that, we purchased the Binaxx tests for one of our cruises. Purchased 6 tests for $99 (I think) and one of them had an empty vial - thankfully we had an extra test to use. 

I found Walgreens to be a much better fit for us, and hope that they will still offer this option for our next 3 scheduled cruises.  

CVS no longer offers the Rapid Test in our area, and when they were accepting appointments, they were bad about cancelling at the last minute.

With Covid numbers going down, I wonder if Walgreens will continue offering free testing - we shall see.

19 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

We got CVS canceled on a Friday, 6 days before our scheduled testing date in late January.  Major scramble.  We immediately ordered home tests (hard to get then) that did arrive by Tuesday.  Also successfully eventually rescheduled CVS at the crack of dawn on the day we needed testing.  Late January was rough because the US Govt had cornered the market on the antigen supply.  That week absolutely sucked. 

I have used the home proctored Binax test for my last two cruises.  I just order another 6 pack since I have four more cruises this year.  They are super simple and easy to take.  I have never waited for a proctor so they take about 20 minutes to complete at home (15 minutes is waiting for the test).  I also just took a PCR test at CVS since I had some symptoms and got the results back in about 12 hours, so at least where I live the PCR test are coming back quickly.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Check out their new guidelines that went into effect on the 18th. If you test positive within 3 months, you don't need a pre-cruise test. You need proof of the positive result and a letter from your doctor to say you have no symptoms. check out their "legal" page and "FAQ" page to see this info.

Which test(s) are acceptable?  Can you provide their names?

We usually have one of the mobile Covid test vans in the area and when I asked about tests for cruise ships I was assured that the one that the airlines use for international travel would satisfy this requirement for cruise ships.  Is this the case?

On 2/19/2022 at 4:13 PM, dfencecoach said:

I do not have my booster yet and I’m not eligible to get a booster until after my cruise.  I am however considered up to date with my vaccination.  According to the new guidelines I can also test three days before the cruise.

Where did you find this information? Just curious because most people are saying you must have had the booster. 

53 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Only if you want to test three days out instead of two. You do not NEED the booster to sail. 

That’s what we’re talking about here. “Testing 3 days before cruise” is the thread title….

Edited by Saint Greg