mini-live from the Grand Princess: first Hawaiian sailing post covid--Jan 4-19, 2022

travelin.sisters

Isn’t that irritating!!😡😡

it’s gotten so that anything I do that’s over a couple of sentences is done in notes then cut/pasted. 
seems to happen a lot more frequently when using shipboard wifi

like this one. Eaten not posted. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Princess is really trying to reduce the amount of paper they waste, but I am glad we still get a paper Patter because it is so difficult to see the schedule on the app...you have to scroll top to bottom to see all the events at any time & then left to right to see events later in the day--I really like having a list where you can review the whole day easily...the new Patters are just one page with hours of locations on one side & the days events on the other...I kind of miss the bits about crew & ports but appreciate the paper savings & really appreciate not having piles of ads & flyers trying to sell me something.

I will not be posting the patters here since @Bgwesthas been faithfully posting them on another thread: 

I did find that you can see the old-style digital version of the activities on the grand web page at grand.princess.com...this is also the only place I have been able to see what excursions we are scheduled for (because of the late change in itinerary the shore excursion people have been scrambling to figure out what & where they are sending us & we had our Honolulu excursions canceled & rebooked as something else.

• Like 2

Cruise critic and medallion do not play nicely together.  
I asked about the Chefs Dinner this morning at Guest Services and the response was no due to enforced Covid restrictions.   Second question was regarding Amenity Kits, Covid has stopped them for the time being.    Just another example of inconsistency across the fleet.   This is our 5th since October.

Otherwise all is well,  Food far superior to the Ruby with the exception of Sabatinis.   Ruby excellent, Grand disappointing.   Could be new to Ruby old for Grand.

Time for our Covid tests.   Everything set up in the passageways ready to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

I asked about the Chefs Dinner this morning at Guest Services and the response was no due to enforced Covid restrictions.   Second question was regarding Amenity Kits, Covid has stopped them for the time being.    Just another example of inconsistency across the fleet.   This is our 5th since October.

Otherwise all is well,  Food far superior to the Ruby with the exception of Sabatinis.   Ruby excellent, Grand disappointing.   Could be new to Ruby old for Grand.

Time for our Covid tests.   Everything set up in the passageways ready to start.

Thank you for checking. Yes, doing LIVES on CC is quite difficult. Life was so much easier when we could use the App! Thanks again and enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, travelingbears said:

What are Amenity Kits?

The gold or blue bags for Elite passengers containing so called upgraded bathroom items,  lotion, shower caps, nail file, brush, razor etc nothing worth worrying about.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

The gold or blue bags for Elite passengers containing so called upgraded bathroom items,  lotion, shower caps, nail file, brush, razor etc nothing worth worrying about.

Thanks,  our next cruise is the 1st time Elite so just learning. lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chris Lo said:

Have you noticed mask compliance by most or maybe even all passengers indoors, during boarding process and in dining room until order placed and food/drinks delivered?  Mahalo! 

Mask wearing is very prevalent on board.  A few people appear to take their time drinking so they don't have to wear their masks,  but vast majority are wearing then without complaints.  They also have reminders all over the ship to wear masks 

• Like 4

Out of respect for the waitstaff … who I guess might be more comfortable serving a table of masked guests vs. unmasked guests I won’t mind keeping my mask on while I place my order and wait for my wine and meal. But I understand everyone makes their own choice.  
I won’t add… I was raised to think of others as I think of myself!     Oops!  
Wishing everyone smooth sailing and sunshine too. Mahalo 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Chris Lo said:

Out of respect for the waitstaff … who I guess might be more comfortable serving a table of masked guests vs. unmasked guests I won’t mind keeping my mask on while I place my order and wait for my wine and meal. But I understand everyone makes their own choice.  
I won’t add… I was raised to think of others as I think of myself!     Oops!  
Wishing everyone smooth sailing and sunshine too. Mahalo 

How refreshing to read this.  I posted something similar about considering crew and their jobs months ago, and it was met with a bunch of negative comments.  I believe the crew should be treated like royalty, especially given current situation and people that choose to flaunt the rules and place them at risk.  Many a crew person has thanked us for complying with covid protocols.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 1/6/2022 at 5:17 PM, travelin.sisters said:

yes on the TV...you go to My Cruise...then scroll down & select Princess SLEEP Program then SLEEP Soundscapes it's like 8 hours of first music & waves then the music fades & just waves then in the morning the music gradually returns to gently wake you up

2022-01-06 16.44.28.jpg

2022-01-06 16.44.56.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kiwimum said:

thank you & also @Bgwest & others for helping answer questions...we had our covid tests this morning & haven't been asked to retest or taken away to isolation so are assuming we are still negative

2022-01-07 09.46.44.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

That's great.  I hope this is true when we get on our cruise in February.   We also have the first boarding slot and a wheelchair.   What I really want to do is get the scooter that will be waiting in the room...

we haven't seen many scooters, wheelchairs or even walkers on this cruise compared to past ones...a couple of thoughts as you are contemplating one (maybe you already know all this, then just ignore it)...it can be hard to get down the corridors...the first trip we took with my sister & a wheeled walker with a seat, she could not go anywhere alone & I spent the entire trip moving cleaning carts for her to get down halls (for the next trip we got one that folds side to side so that it will fit by these carts (it is not unusual for them to be in the hall without anyone nearby to move them, although they are not around as much with the changes in steward schedules. also it can be hard to get these in & out of stateroom doors & you might want to bring your own doorstop.

also if you have a mobility device &/or can't climb a flight of stairs...do not get your dining reservations in the Botticelli dining room as there are only 2 elevators that go there & it is isolated from the rest of the ship (in the past with the ship full it has been extreemly hard to get down there & back up during the dinner rush...if you can go up one flight of stairs then you have other options but it is in a kind of dead-end.

wishing you happy sailing in February

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chris Lo said:

Have you noticed mask compliance by most or maybe even all passengers indoors, during boarding process and in dining room until order placed and food/drinks delivered?  Mahalo! 

In my experience most people are good about masking when out & about, although I have seen people walking the corridors without. As others have shared, dining/drinking venues are more hit & miss some cover between others take their mask off for the duration. A good thing I have noticed is that Princess has provided the crew with N95 (or KN95, haven't gotten close enough to read the labels but they look like N95) masks. I try to cover when waitstaff approach even if I am eating, we are in this together & their risk is higher so that seems easy enough to me personally. One thing that I have found strange is in the evening they are allowing dancers in the piazza without masks & during that time I also have seen (looking down from a higher floor) quite a few people sitting around without masks & not actively eating/drinking...that seems risky to the crew, performers & others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1