Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

On 8/2/2022 at 6:51 PM, dreaminofcruisin said:

A positive test result no more than 90 days ago at least 10 days after the result, should be what you need. This does result in additional screening, so if you can just get a negative antigen test, that would be easier....

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within three months from the date of their cruise departure or cruisetour departure (whichever starts first) do not need to take a viral test before embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19.

Documentation of recovery consists of the following:

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago) or
  • A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an official health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal, and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion. Guests who are unable to provide documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements must take the required COVID-19 viral test and show a negative result.

All you need is a documented positive test at least 10 days before the sailing.  This is what my daughter used, there was no secondary screening in her case.
I wouldn't even bother trying to get a negative test 2-3 days in advance.  It will probably still be positive, but if you are the minimum 10 days out testing positive, that's all you need.

8 minutes ago, redcruzer said:

How do you find out if the cruise you want to book has the 10% availability for unvaxxed passengers to book?

If you are unvaccinated, you can look on the website to see whom you would call for the exemption. If that is what you’re asking?  If you just want to know the numbers, they probably will not divulge that information.  This is sailings from the US/Canada.  Look under health protocols at the top of the website if you want other sailings.

I am unvaccinated. Am I still able to sail?

Absolutely. The CDC currently allows cruise lines to carry up to 10% of unvaccinated guests, meaning there are more opportunities for all our guests to sail with us. We manage an exemption process for guests who are not vaccinated regardless of the reason, subject to the regulations of the ports we visit. Exemptions are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Children under 5 years old (who are not yet eligible for COVID-19 vaccines) are not required to apply for an exemption but must still follow all other requirements for unvaccinated guests. Exemptions can be obtained by calling 1-800-PRINCESS.

Voyages that include Canada:
Please note that cruises that begin, end or visit Canada will require sailing guests ages 12 and above who are not Canadian citizens be fully vaccinated, unless they are granted a medical exemption. Find out if you can enter Canada at travel.gc.ca^. Note all Alaska voyages include Canadian ports.

Guests who have an approved medical exemption from COVID-19 Vaccines are required to bring a letter from a physician. Guests can visit travel.gc.ca^ for information on this.

^You are now leaving princess.com and going to a third-party website that is not owned, operated or controlled by Princess or any of its affiliates.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 11:03 AM, nini said:

BTW- the following countries NO LONGER require Covid testing to enter:

Chile

Any thoughts about if we'll need to tests to board the Sapphire Princess in San Antonio, Chile (close to Santiago) on Dec 19 for the Chile - Antarctica - Argentina 16-day route?

43 minutes ago, Allograft said:

Any thoughts about if we'll need to tests to board the Sapphire Princess in San Antonio, Chile (close to Santiago) on Dec 19 for the Chile - Antarctica - Argentina 16-day route?

Princess website says check back later for sailings out of countries not listed.

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

If you are unvaccinated, you can look on the website to see whom you would call for the exemption. If that is what you’re asking?  If you just want to know the numbers, they probably will not divulge that information.  This is sailings from the US/Canada.  Look under health protocols at the top of the website if you want other sailings.

I am unvaccinated. Am I still able to sail?

Absolutely. The CDC currently allows cruise lines to carry up to 10% of unvaccinated guests, meaning there are more opportunities for all our guests to sail with us. We manage an exemption process for guests who are not vaccinated regardless of the reason, subject to the regulations of the ports we visit. Exemptions are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Children under 5 years old (who are not yet eligible for COVID-19 vaccines) are not required to apply for an exemption but must still follow all other requirements for unvaccinated guests. Exemptions can be obtained by calling 1-800-PRINCESS.

Voyages that include Canada:
Please note that cruises that begin, end or visit Canada will require sailing guests ages 12 and above who are not Canadian citizens be fully vaccinated, unless they are granted a medical exemption. Find out if you can enter Canada at travel.gc.ca^. Note all Alaska voyages include Canadian ports.

Guests who have an approved medical exemption from COVID-19 Vaccines are required to bring a letter from a physician. Guests can visit travel.gc.ca^ for information on this.

^You are now leaving princess.com and going to a third-party website that is not owned, operated or controlled by Princess or any of its affiliates.

And for our upcoming cruise to Canada next week, Princess is now (as of last week) requiring not only fully vaxxed, but also boosted.If you are sailing to the Maritimes, this could apply to you, too...

Edited by tothemall&beyond

21 minutes ago, tothemall&beyond said:

And for our upcoming cruise to Canada next week, Princess is now (as of last week) requiring not only fully vaxxed, but also boosted.If you are sailing to the Maritimes, this could apply to you, too...

Yes, OP doesn’t give much information, just about finding about the 10% unvaccinated.  The OP would need to do the research, or call PCL.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, suzyed said:

All you need is a documented positive test at least 10 days before the sailing.  This is what my daughter used, there was no secondary screening in her case.
I wouldn't even bother trying to get a negative test 2-3 days in advance.  It will probably still be positive, but if you are the minimum 10 days out testing positive, that's all you need.

Was this from Southampton recently? 

On 7/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, carlucas said:

Princess has just updated its Covid rules for criuses departing from UK

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/uk-southampton-cruises/

I don't see any relevant change

I read it that they now only require a certificate not a supervised test.  
UK health testing website confirms this. 
I can purchase a certificate only with my own test kit for £4.95 

check out UK health testing https://ukhealthtesting.com/ 

I’m sure the testing company would not be able to state the requirements without having checked with the cruise line but I will give them a call to confirm.  
Quite clearly on the 28 July update Princess states a certificate of negative test is required.  It does not add ‘supervised’.   If you check out the UK health testing website it shows a sample certificate you receive following uploading your test result.  
The whole process is a total waste of time and money with no guarantee of being Covid free on the day of boarding. I will just be happy to be wasting the minimum amount of money.  

Yes, I too looked at the new guidelines from Princess & thought a negative Rapid Antigen Test, not supervised was acceptable. BUT I also found this on scrolling down to the near bottom of the page 'What is acceptable as proof of a negative Covid-19 test result' 

The following formats are acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test: paper COVID-19 test results (original only, no photocopies accepted), digital or emailed COVID-19 test results or record of COVID-19 testing from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification or personal electronic health record.

The negative COVID-19 test result must include:

• Where the test was administered, including name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test
  • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  • A specimen collection date within the necessary time frame before cruise departure
  • Guest’s name and either date of birth, age or passport number
  • A negative test result using words or phrases including:
    • Negative
    • Undetectable
    • SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected
    • SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected
    • COVID-19 not detected
    • Not reactive

Test results marked “invalid” are not accepted.

I think we'll stick with the £14.95 one to be safe, I just thought initially that we still have some Government issued Rapid Antigen Test so we could use them. lol Think again!

• Like 1

Can anyone give reports of how it is handled at the beginning of a cruisetour (personal experience)? I see the requirements are that it is required before the land first portion but I also have read reports that the hotels do not ask to see results. I'm not against testing,  but dislike paying a lot for a test when hey don't even check. I have free tests here that I can self test before leaving home. And yes, we would definitely self test before leaving home.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before...but 77 pages is a lot to scroll through. 

Does anyone know if any of the tax-payor funded (i.e. not free) USA government corona tests can be used to satisfy embarkation testing requirements? I've read that emed and optum are options, but I'd rather use ones that my tax dollars already paid for.

2 hours ago, Allograft said:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before...but 77 pages is a lot to scroll through. 

Does anyone know if any of the tax-payor funded (i.e. not free) USA government corona tests can be used to satisfy embarkation testing requirements? I've read that emed and optum are options, but I'd rather use ones that my tax dollars already paid for.

No it must be witnessed but I'm using the ihealth test witnessed by Azova. 

https://azova.com/ihealthvideo/before_you_get_started.html

If you're in SF (think i read that somewhere) there's several free-to-you test sites. I just want to do mine at home for $20. 

https://lhi.care/covidtesting/open-sessions

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, Allograft said:

Here's another one that uses the tests you already have https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

If you're in SF (think i read that somewhere) there's several free-to-you test sites.

Indeed, there are. However, we're getting to Chile several days before embarkation, so we'll need to test in Chile if we're going to have to test. I was hoping that some of the tests my tax dollars paid for could fill a need

4 hours ago, Allograft said:

Indeed, there are. However, we're getting to Chile several days before embarkation, so we'll need to test in Chile if we're going to have to test. I was hoping that some of the tests my tax dollars paid for could fill a need

So do you still have 1 iHealth rest kit per person?? Test #1 unwitnessed 24-48 hrs before test #2 (retest) witnessed. Cost $20 pp

• Like 1