Well we cancelled our cruise!

fudge

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This thread is somewhat depressing :(.  So I am posting positive thoughts :).   While there are certainly some excellent reasons to cancel cruises and trips some of us continue to live our traveling/cruising lifestyle and look to the future with optimism.  We cruised in July/August on the Ovation (Greece) and had a fabulous time with a terrific group of fellow passengers and amazing crew.  In October we spent 2 weeks cruising on the Odyssey and again had a fantastic Seabourn time.  Our next SB cruise is in late March on the Ovation  (Florida to Monte Carlo) and there is no way we would consider canceling that cruise!  If SB operates the voyage we intend to be aboard enjoying every moment.  And as long as Europe allows us to enjoy some of that continent we plan on spending several post cruise weeks working our way to Prague.  

I post this so that folks can understand that some of us have adjusted (and continue to adjust) to living with COVID.  This darn virus is not going away and we will continue to find ways to travel/cruise knowing that COVID presents one more risk (out of many) and involves some challenges.

Hank

Thank you for your positivity, and I say this as we embark on Ovation 3 weeks today!  I am trying to keep this all in perspective and for every cancelled cruise I hear about, or person quarantined in a suite, there are far more people managing to (carefully) enjoy themselves.  

I don't think there are any 'wrong' or indeed 'right' decisions, it's just personal decisions that's all.  All I know is, we will be well looked after on our upcoming cruise and I am hopeful that all will be fine for us.  🙂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Thank you for your positivity, and I say this as we embark on Ovation 3 weeks today!  I am trying to keep this all in perspective and for every cancelled cruise I hear about, or person quarantined in a suite, there are far more people managing to (carefully) enjoy themselves.  

I don't think there are any 'wrong' or indeed 'right' decisions, it's just personal decisions that's all.  All I know is, we will be well looked after on our upcoming cruise and I am hopeful that all will be fine for us.  🙂

I hope you have a great time. Well done you for taking the plunge so to speak, you will get well looked after thats for sure. Please let us know how you get on, bon voyage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fudge said:

I hope you have a great time. Well done you for taking the plunge so to speak, you will get well looked after thats for sure. Please let us know how you get on, bon voyage. 

Hoping to take the plunge in that jacuzzi on deck with a glass of champagne to hand!  

Thanks for the good wishes.  I will report back! 🙂

On 1/7/2022 at 9:52 AM, fudge said:

I couldn't agree more, I chose a lovely Seabourn cruise in March 2023 but Seabourn wont have it, really tight squeeze for us to cram another one in Before December, as much as we like cruising.

Everyone…. Keep fighting.  Maybe they will get the message that with all the luxury cruise lines coming on with new ships and itineraries they will have real competition going forward.  Besides Silversea I will certainly be branching out to Ponant and others. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fudge said:

Call me crazy, but we just booked the Ovation for the end of Feb. Had enough of the Canadian winter and if we are stuck on the ship  for 14 nights with no ports so be it. Sitting on the deck overlooking the sea with a glass of wine or a Southern cocktail suits me fine. Great food, great service what more can I ask for

Our only change this time will be flying into Miami the day before the cruise as in the past we usually went several days prior to the cruise to enjoy the beach. Will be first time with Seabourn .Saied with Regent and Crystal so expecting same level of enjoyment     

• Like 4

On 1/7/2022 at 9:44 PM, Navis said:

FWIW, I did get a survey from Seabourn tonight … from the few questions they asked I would guess they are thinking about changing the vax requirements to include boosters … not that that matters for us as we’ve both already fully vaxxed and boosted already. Not sure if they sent the survey to just a random sample or folks who have up upcoming cruises.

We have received the same e-mail asking us to take the survey.  Until now we have not responded because we are not sure that surveys should be the basis of decisions.  We have been on the Ovation (July/Aug) and the Odyssey (Oct) and they were both fantastic cruises.   We have an upcoming booking on the Ovation and will take the cruise if it ultimately happens.  Like many we are fully vaccinated (with the booster) and will get a 4th shot if it is deemed necessary.   We love cruising and SB and will jump through their hoops if it gets us back aboard the Ovation :).

Hank

On 1/8/2022 at 6:41 PM, ernieb said:

We just received this survey as well. We are also fully vaxed and boosted. I did indicate I would be more comfortable if the boosters were required. We are new to Seabourn so I suspect it was to a random sample.

Hank, I appreciate your more optimistic outlook. We will be on our first Seabourn cruise in late April and May through the Panama Canal on the Odyssey.

We just posted a similar issue but are also boosted and would have no problem even  getting a 4th shot if it was deemed a good idea.  While the efficacy of boosters might be in question, we do think the risk of the shots is much less than the risk of morbidity from COVID.

Hank

Ditto.  I'll be a human pincushion if necessary!  If it means we can go off on our adventures again.

At some point, it will settle down, and maybe become a yearly shot, who knows.  Until then, if there is to be a 4th, we want it!  

• Like 1

I have a question for those of you who have cancelled recently within the Book with Confidence 30 day window. Were any of you allowed to immediately book another sailing, or did you have to wait for the FCC to be issued? If so, how long does that take ? Weighing our options here with a February sailing. Thanks !

Dear fellow travellers,

We are on the January 30th sailing on the Ovation. After some disturbing posts here from the ovation, the quarantine rules and 'fellow not-wearing-masks passengers' on the new years sailing miami to LA, I hope someone is able to do posts from the next sailing. Please let us know how the situation on the ship is now.

We are way past the 30 day rule of cancelation, which means we lose the total amount of the cruise, the international long distance flight and the miami hotel if we decide not to continue.

I truely hope your sailing will be smooth en delightful and you can give me reassurance.

Thank you.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, greeneyedgirl58 said:

I have a question for those of you who have cancelled recently within the Book with Confidence 30 day window. Were any of you allowed to immediately book another sailing, or did you have to wait for the FCC to be issued? If so, how long does that take ? Weighing our options here with a February sailing. Thanks !

We cancelled a few days ago, our TA contacted Seabourn and we had our FCC within a day, we took the 50/50 deal and may have to wait up to 60 days for the refund to our bank account, which is OK. I really think it depends on your TA, we have a great TA I have to say.

I know it all sounds doom and gloom, some folks are going ahead good for them. I read a post somewhere this morning which I cant find at present, a passenger was in quarantine on the ship and it sounded like hell on Earth, he hasn't seen a human for over five days!

3 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

That would be me fudge. The moderator is removing my posts.I wrote only the truth and facts. I’ll probably soon be banned completely 

4 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

That would be me fudge. The moderator is removing my posts.I wrote only the truth and facts. I’ll probably soon be banned completely 

I am truly sorry to hear of your experience, I only scan read your post before leaving for golf, when I got home I thought I was dreaming when I couldn't find it, I hope your situation improves soon, best wishes.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

I've thought about you and your predicament and, like Fudge, I am so sorry you are gong through this.  Have you asked for cleaning supplies so that you can clean your suite yourself?  Having everything cleaned up might make you feel better  You could reward yourself with caviar (if you like it) and a good bottle of wine or spirits.  I hope you are enjoying the view from your veranda, eating some good food, and watching some good movies  Keep us updated about how you are doing.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dunnedg said:

FdNY. That is dreadful. I read your report this morning also. You gave an honest and informative report. All information that potential cruisers need to know.

Same here.  Your first hand account was truly appreciated and informative.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Insane… I came back for part 3, and couldn’t find your posts.  I was appreciative of your candid recollections since we were one of those having to make a decision to sail (or not) for next month.

Are you still onboard or were you allowed to disembark as scheduled?  

• Like 1

We’ll be getting off tomorrow morning. There’s no room service tomorrow morning. However, destination services called and let me know that I’ll be having breakfast in my room and can depart between 08:30 & 09:30 . In other words, eat your breakfast in your room, and get off the ship. 
PS: still haven’t been visited by anyone on the Medical staff. They called 3 days ago. Not another peep . 
Sorry to have to report the shabby treatment. I worked 28 years helping people including 9/11 with FDNY, so I have trouble comprehending all of this . Maybe my expectations are too high for this medical staff . 
I want to thank all of you for your genuine concern. I hope that one day I can cruise with all of you, and enjoy a drink in the observation lounge ! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, fdnycruiser said:

We’ll be getting off tomorrow morning. There’s no room service tomorrow morning. However, destination services called and let me know that I’ll be having breakfast in my room and can depart between 08:30 & 09:30 . In other words, eat your breakfast in your room, and get off the ship. 
PS: still haven’t been visited by anyone on the Medical staff. They called 3 days ago. Not another peep . 
Sorry to have to report the shabby treatment. I worked 28 years helping people including 9/11 with FDNY, so I have trouble comprehending all of this . Maybe my expectations are too high for this medical staff . 
I want to thank all of you for your genuine concern. I hope that one day I can cruise with all of you, and enjoy a drink in the observation lounge ! 

If there is no room service, how do you get your breakfast?

On 1/9/2022 at 10:45 PM, Hlitner said:

We just posted a similar issue but are also boosted and would have no problem even  getting a 4th shot if it was deemed a good idea.  While the efficacy of boosters might be in question, we do think the risk of the shots is much less than the risk of morbidity from COVID.

Hank

Personally, I am reluctant to take a third shot.  Since getting the 2nd shot I have developed a heart issue that was not present prior to taking the vaccine.  My Dr. Said it MIGHT be a side effect from the vaccine and at this moment, I’ll be waiting for more info.  I don’t want to risk a more serious issue.  So, if that means no cruising because of no booster, then so be it, ,,,,, ,reluctantly.

• Like 2

We face our 30 day cancellation decision in 48 hours for our February 13 sailing on the Ovation.  We booked in early November, when all the trends were positive, and are comfortable with the Vax/Mask/Testing requirements.  Our major concern now is the risk of testing positive or “inconclusive”, and facing onboard quarantine, or worse, being put off the ship and subject to the local port health authorities.

We will talk with our TA today—who is outstanding—and figure out our best option.  I’m sympathetic to the challenges all the cruise lines face, and want to resume cruising as quickly as is safe and responsible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cortesefam said:

We face our 30 day cancellation decision in 48 hours for our February 13 sailing on the Ovation.  We booked in early November, when all the trends were positive, and are comfortable with the Vax/Mask/Testing requirements.  Our major concern now is the risk of testing positive or “inconclusive”, and facing onboard quarantine, or worse, being put off the ship and subject to the local port health authorities.

We will talk with our TA today—who is outstanding—and figure out our best option.  I’m sympathetic to the challenges all the cruise lines face, and want to resume cruising as quickly as is safe and responsible.

We are also booked on the Feb. 13th Ovation.  I'm not comfortable with the graphs showing increased cases, especially in the Miami area 

and news of desparate calls for airline workers to take triple pay to work!  The deciding factor for us cancelling was our dog sitter who just yesterday got her power back on in Central Virginia.  I would never be able to enjoy myself thinking of my poor shivering dog!  If conditions improve markedly in a month, I'll make a last minute booking and use the FCC.  It's not an easy choice to make.  I hope the people who are able to board have a wonderful time and let us know about their experiences.

• Like 2

Newgolfr—we spoke with our agent, and cancelled this afternoon.  Just too much uncertainty about where the ship can stop and risk of quarantine ashore if we tested positive.  We’re fully vaxxed and boosted, but there are so many breakthrough cases we know directly here in Maryland, it seems a reach to think we’ll never test positive.  Seabourn was accommodating, providing a split refund and FCC.  A feeling of relief that this is resolved, though intense disappointment that we won’t be on the Ovation next month!

• Like 1

We feel the same, we need to support the cruise industry however, our well being and health are our priority. I feel really sorry for everyone, we love cruising and cannot wait to get back on board. 

Our next cruise is June, fingers crossed it goes ahead.

• Like 1