Live Review Apex 1/8/2022 - 1/15/2022 Virtual Cruise Plenty of Pictures.

BennyBrun

38 minutes ago, slanik said:

I have a question for BennyBrun.  Were passengers required to only use Celebrity shore excursions in Belize?  That’s what the Celebrity website says.  I thought I remember reading that you left the port area and walked around yourselves.  We are cruising on Feb 19 and I would like to make private reservations for cave tubing.  I just wonder if I’m allowed.

When we were there we were allowed to do our own thing BUT I highly highly highly recommend doing the excursion with the cruise line.

1. We do a lot of touring on our own all over the place but felt uneasy / uncomfortable once you exited out the compound.  We also saw the vans and cars they use and it’s in pretty bad shape.  That’s just my own experience YMMV.

2. The locals outside the compound are very aggressive.  They are all smiles until you tell them NO and then the attitude changes and you have to quickly walk away from them.

3. It’s a tendered port, and don’t go by the all aboard time, go by the last tender boat time.  If you experience any traffic issue the tender boat will not wait for you BUT they will wait for Celebrity excursions!

4. If you are doing physical activities like snorkeling / cave tubing I would feel safer with the company that Celebrity selected and that you are accounted for by the excursion team from Celebrity in the event that something happens to you.  Yes there are risks but if you compare cave tubing to say a sightseeing bus tour I am going to say cave tubing is riskier and would rest easy knowing that Celebrity knows I am off the ship on a tour with them in Belize.

just my two cents!  Enjoy your cruise.  It is a beautiful ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BennyBrun said:

When we were there we were allowed to do our own thing BUT I highly highly highly recommend doing the excursion with the cruise line.

1. We do a lot of touring on our own all over the place but felt uneasy / uncomfortable once you exited out the compound.  We also saw the vans and cars they use and it’s in pretty bad shape.  That’s just my own experience YMMV.

2. The locals outside the compound are very aggressive.  They are all smiles until you tell them NO and then the attitude changes and you have to quickly walk away from them.

3. It’s a tendered port, and don’t go by the all aboard time, go by the last tender boat time.  If you experience any traffic issue the tender boat will not wait for you BUT they will wait for Celebrity excursions!

4. If you are doing physical activities like snorkeling / cave tubing I would feel safer with the company that Celebrity selected and that you are accounted for by the excursion team from Celebrity in the event that something happens to you.  Yes there are risks but if you compare cave tubing to say a sightseeing bus tour I am going to say cave tubing is riskier and would rest easy knowing that Celebrity knows I am off the ship on a tour with them in Belize.

just my two cents!  Enjoy your cruise.  It is a beautiful ship.

Thank you very much.  We will take your advice.

Benny!  Finally finished your review and I'll chime in w/the rest and thank you for such a wonderful review.  Loved how you kept things upbeat with so many photos - that meat extravaganza lunch buffet was incredible!😲

Currently booked on Apex this June going to Iceland/Ireland, fingers crossed that we'll be able to actually go.

Now looking forward to your next review, hope you're going somewhere soon! 😁

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cruzers j&n said:

Benny!  Finally finished your review and I'll chime in w/the rest and thank you for such a wonderful review.  Loved how you kept things upbeat with so many photos - that meat extravaganza lunch buffet was incredible!😲

Currently booked on Apex this June going to Iceland/Ireland, fingers crossed that we'll be able to actually go.

Now looking forward to your next review, hope you're going somewhere soon! 😁

Thank you so much for coming along!  I am so excited for you !!!  I have everything crossed hoping you will make your voyage!  It is an amazing experience!

Stay Tuned!  If everything goes well (everything crossed) I am on a B2B On Oasis of the Sea starting 1/30!  Come and join the virtual cruise!

Yes that's right, you did mention in your review, sorry about that - suffer from Swiss cheese memory these days!  That is so wonderful that your sailing is coming up so soon....the only time we were able to have another cruise so quickly was when I booked a B2B.  However, all that glorious eating (and in my case, way too many cappucinos and cafe mochas at Cafe Bacio) had a very sad consequence...as I was moving into my new cabin for the 2nd leg, the assistant cabin attendant asked me with the most joyful expression:  "are you pregnant???"😩😭

Answer was no...and the main cabin attendant quickly dismissed himself and got the heck out of there, lol.

Safe travels on your next cruise, and thanks in advance for another lovely journey.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 8:17 PM, cruzers j&n said:

Yes that's right, you did mention in your review, sorry about that - suffer from Swiss cheese memory these days!  That is so wonderful that your sailing is coming up so soon....the only time we were able to have another cruise so quickly was when I booked a B2B.  However, all that glorious eating (and in my case, way too many cappucinos and cafe mochas at Cafe Bacio) had a very sad consequence...as I was moving into my new cabin for the 2nd leg, the assistant cabin attendant asked me with the most joyful expression:  "are you pregnant???"😩😭

Answer was no...and the main cabin attendant quickly dismissed himself and got the heck out of there, lol.

Safe travels on your next cruise, and thanks in advance for another lovely journey.

OMG!  I feel terrified for the attendant !!!  I am glad you were not too upset.  Some people would be offended.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We recently sailed on Apex(November) and ate several times in one of their "MDR" restaurants and always at 8:30 or 9 PM. If your concern is you do not want to be eating at 10 PM I can assure you that they, no matter what time of the evening, seem to rush you through dinner.  They want to serve you your appetizer even before you make your wine selection.  One could be done with dinner in 45 mintues if you let them.

I find this also to be true even in their specialty restaurants sometimes.

I do miss the "old" days when you enjoyed your dinner with your cruise selected dinner mates each night.  However, that seems to have ended mostly as many would do specialty dining on some evening(which we did) and then your table was near empty.  

15 minutes ago, dazey said:

We recently sailed on Apex(November) and ate several times in one of their "MDR" restaurants and always at 8:30 or 9 PM. If your concern is you do not want to be eating at 10 PM I can assure you that they, no matter what time of the evening, seem to rush you through dinner.  They want to serve you your appetizer even before you make your wine selection.  One could be done with dinner in 45 mintues if you let them.

I find this also to be true even in their specialty restaurants sometimes.

I do miss the "old" days when you enjoyed your dinner with your cruise selected dinner mates each night.  However, that seems to have ended mostly as many would do specialty dining on some evening(which we did) and then your table was near empty.  

No.  My concern is indeed what you describe - being rushed.  We have resorted to delaying our food orders to get our wine served to be enjoyed while food is proper temp in the past.  Also one of us eats very slowly so at least 1 hour is our usual dining time and preferrably 1.5 hours which would mean the dining room service could go until 10 even though the hours list 6 to 9. 

We will adapt if it is a problem, just trying to know what to expect.  Thank you.

55 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

No.  My concern is indeed what you describe - being rushed.  We have resorted to delaying our food orders to get our wine served to be enjoyed while food is proper temp in the past.  Also one of us eats very slowly so at least 1 hour is our usual dining time and preferrably 1.5 hours which would mean the dining room service could go until 10 even though the hours list 6 to 9. 

We will adapt if it is a problem, just trying to know what to expect.  Thank you.

FWIW, we usually dine late,  on other X ships,  and more than once the Maiter d' in Blu recognized it the second night and in a very nice casual sincere friendly way said we should  take our time and enjoy. But at same time its important for us to "thread the needle" and be respectful of the staff. BTW, the dining rooms are quieter later-perhaps not so much on European cruises, however the couples who dine later flock together and shoot the bull in the dining room over coffee or a drink  then at appropriate time "flock together" and continue to talk at a bar. It's a nce relaxed way to meet and mingle with others.

• 1 month later...