Pcr test in Florida

abby1257

In these times things don’t always work as they have in the past regarding testing.  To insure you get your results in time for travel I would only use a resource that knows it is for travel and can insure the results are ready in the time you need them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hubbards said:

In these times things don’t always work as they have in the past regarding testing.  To insure you get your results in time for travel I would only use a resource that knows it is for travel and can insure the results are ready in the time you need them.

I do think the drug store tests are approved for travel.. BUT

I ran into two people at the Orlando airport on Jan 2nd who had to reschedule their flights because the test didn't come back in time.

I will say this again. You need to balance out the cost of a test versus having to reschedule travel plans.

If you are planning on staying a few days after your cruise you can afford to wait up to 72 hours for a test. 

If you are flying out that day I would pay for the rapid test because saving money on a test, but then having to stay over night ($200 hotel), and then changing flights ($200 change fee?), not sure where the savings are.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, hubbards said:

The difficulty is that no test facility will guarantee results within a specified time period. They will definitely attempt to ensure that you get your results on time, whether or not travel is involved, but there are far too many factors than can have an impact on timing, ranging from equipment malfunctions to personnel shortages to just sheer volume. Plan your travels accordingly and always have a Plan B ready.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 8:24 PM, hubbards said:

You must seek a test for travel and not the Walgreens, CVS option which is not meant for travel purposes.  

The Walgreens Rapid ID Now test can absolutely be used for travel.  DH and I used it to come back from Vegas yesterday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hubbards said:

Glad it worked for you.

It’s worked for us half a dozen times now, returning from Orlando as well.

43 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

how much was this test

Free.

https://flytrippers.com/getting-covid-19-test-usa-for-canadians/

Edited by bookbabe

19 hours ago, hubbards said:

To the person who posted the link to the article from flytrippers, that is one year old.  I’m not so sure it is still 100% true.  

The article is not a year old.  It’s dated from November 11, 2021, which is only two months ago.

It is absolutely true.  I and many others have used the free Walgreens Rapid ID Now tests as recently as last week.   Easy, quick results, free even for Canadians and definitely suitable to return to Canada from the US.  

I don’t know why you insist on trying to convince people to pay hundreds of dollars for tests when they don’t have to, but you are welcome to pay that extra money if you want, I guess.  But I won’t be paying it.

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

The article is not a year old.  It’s dated from November 11, 2021, which is only two months ago.

It is absolutely true.  I and many others have used the free Walgreens Rapid ID Now tests as recently as last week.   Easy, quick results, free even for Canadians and definitely suitable to return to Canada from the US.  

I don’t know why you insist on trying to convince people to pay hundreds of dollars for tests when they don’t have to, but you are welcome to pay that extra money if you want, I guess.  But I won’t be paying it.

If you can save money on testing go for it.

I think Covid has taught us that we need a Plan B, C, etc. to travel.

Book the free test, but it's important to understand that many people have had to re arrange their travel plans when Plan A, the free test, falls through.

• Like 1

I'm flying into Orlando on a Friday and cruise on Sunday. I'll need an antigen test to fly into the states snd another to board the ship. The Switch Health kit has 2 tests in it. I've read conflicting information about using one of these to board Carnival. I can't find any EUA approval by FDA on the box, and it's a requirement according to the Carnival website. 
Has anyone used the Switch Health antigen to board a Carnival ship?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikenbon said:

I'm flying into Orlando on a Friday and cruise on Sunday. I'll need an antigen test to fly into the states snd another to board the ship. The Switch Health kit has 2 tests in it. I've read conflicting information about using one of these to board Carnival. I can't find any EUA approval by FDA on the box, and it's a requirement according to the Carnival website. 
Has anyone used the Switch Health antigen to board a Carnival ship?

Assuming you are fully vaccinated, Carnival requires a negative test taken within 2 days of boarding. You should be able to test on Friday for both the flight and cruise.

However, the FDA's list of EUAs for Antigen Diagnostic Tests does not include Switch Health. I've no idea how closely check in staff compare test documents with the list of FDA approvals. You might want to check directly with Carnival.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Assuming you are fully vaccinated, Carnival requires a negative test taken within 2 days of boarding. You should be able to test on Friday for both the flight and cruise.

However, the FDA's list of EUAs for Antigen Diagnostic Tests does not include Switch Health. I've no idea how closely check in staff compare test documents with the list of FDA approvals. You might want to check directly with Carnival.

Switch Health is approved by FDA however, not sure about Antigen Diagnostic Tests.

Our kits are manufactured by Lucira Health, a medical technology company with the first and only FDA, EUA, and HC authorized single-use molecular test for at-home use. This disposable test kit, known as the Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kit, is able to detect DNA and RNA of infectious diseases, like COVID-19. Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kits provide PCR quality molecular accuracy in 30 minutes or less.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Switch Health is approved by FDA however, not sure about Antigen Diagnostic Tests.

Our kits are manufactured by Lucira Health, a medical technology company with the first and only FDA, EUA, and HC authorized single-use molecular test for at-home use. This disposable test kit, known as the Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kit, is able to detect DNA and RNA of infectious diseases, like COVID-19. Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kits provide PCR quality molecular accuracy in 30 minutes or less.

Yes, Lucira has an EUA for the RT-LAMP test kit, but not for the Antigen test. Carnival would undoubtedly accept the results of the RT-LAMP test, but a single test is almost 4 times the price of the Rapid Antigen test kit.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

According to the documentation, the 2 antigen kit sold by switch health contains SD Biosensor Standard Q COVID-19 Ag Nasal Test Kit which I believe has FDA emergency use authorization.

12 hours ago, broberts said:

According to the documentation, the 2 antigen kit sold by switch health contains SD Biosensor Standard Q COVID-19 Ag Nasal Test Kit which I believe has FDA emergency use authorization.

I won't repeat my other reply in full, but the FDA EUA was issued for a non-proctored kit made by SD Biosensor, not the proctored test kit being sold by Switch Health.

• Thanks 1