Noncompetitive airfare (Celebrity Air quote)

njpln

We are planning back to back cruises out of Sydney this coming fall. (Fingers crossed Covid will be gone….) Today I went on the Celebrity website and pulled up some business class airfares. Then I went onto two of the carriers’ websites and compared the prices.  I was really shocked. In one case the carrier was at least $1000 less per person for the same flights, and the other was the exact same price.

I tried doing one-way tickets and round-trip, and there was still no advantage to purchasing through Celebrity other than, the fact that we wouldn’t have to pay in full until something like 45 days before the cruise. (This is tempting with Covid)

We have only ever bought air tickets through Viking and Cunard.  Cunard airfares and choices for business class blew me away. They’re so reasonable. Viking was not as good, mostly because they offer fewer options, and they will change your flights to suit their purse—but they were still better than buying tickets on your own.

For those of you that have purchased overseas business class tickets through celebrity, did you see a distinct price advantage? I’m wondering if I should give it a month and see if the fares come down a bit…

Appreciate any advice or comments….

thanks…

Doing similar research for Australia business class airfare.  Their website is pretty horrible in usage and in showing what flights are available. You might have better luck with calling, but I’ve also done that and your mileage will definitely vary. You’ll either get a somewhat knowledgeable person or someone completely incompetent.   If you get the latter, just call and hopefully you’ll get a different person next time. 

The biggest reason to book through Celebrity is that generally you don't need to pay for the flights until final payment. With cruising not yet resumed in that part of the world, I wouldn't want to pay for flights that might never happen.

Keep in mind one big advantage of buying from Celebrity.. if you have to cancel the cruise, or it gets cancelled, your airfare is also cancelled.  If you buy from the Airline directly, depending on the fare, it's yours or you have a credit you must use.  I'd save the $1000 per person of course, but if it's the same or close, it might be worth buying from Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

It's easy...

If you find better peices elsewhere and are willing to accept the terms, grab it...

I've used Celebrity Air several times now...and have gotten some fabulous prices--like $500 RT pp LAX-Athens a few months back for the Apex...and I've gotten really good pricing for my LAX-BCN-KRF and BOS-LAX for my two cruises this August--total about $1150 pp...both of those coach fares--all refundable/cancelable up to final payment...

But, if I could beat those fares by a sgnificant margin, I'd be tempted to book elsewhere.  OTOH, with all of the pandemic cancelation, etc., I really like not having to pay now then sweat it out...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Thanks 1

Are you sure your comparing apples to apples.    The Flights by Celebrity are 100% refundable if cancelled before final payment.   Is the airfare you are seeing from the airline fully refundable.    If so purchase it from the airlines. 

• Thanks 1

There are lots of places to buy airline tickets.  Business and first class is interesting in that there are companies that cater to large businesses and wealthy individuals.  Like Celebrity Air, you need to call to get both the fares and the terms - almost all will not charge for changes, many are not refundable.  Read the fine print.  If you have points, there are often strange places for cheap fares such as Alaska Airlines who partners with Icelandic.  Had by far the best deal.  So you never know.

Don't forget about this paragraph in the current "Celebrity cruises refund * and cancellation policy for COVID-19", under Denial of Embarkation or Reboarding; Quarantine and /or Disembarkation

• If a guest who purchased flights through the cruise line is denied boarding at embarkation or reboarding, or is disembarked during the voyage due to a positive COVID -19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, Celebrity will coordinate the travel arrangements, and cover the airline change fees and any difference in the airfare for the same class of service , necessary to fly the guest back to the city of their original flight departure point. If such a guest did not purchase flights through Celebrity, Celebrity will assist with coordinating travel arrangements necessary to get the guest back home but will not be responsible for any associated costs.

If you cancel a Celebrity cruise under the Cruise with Confidence program (say, prior to the 48 hours before embarkation, but after final payment), and you also have a flight booked with Flights by Celebrity, will your flights be cancelled subject to a $200 per person fee?

Randy