Has Oceania changed their payment in full dates

Vineyard View

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

I read earlier that Oceania changed their payment in full dates to extend into March for cruises booked, or 60 days prior. Is this correct or is it still at the 120 days. Thank you 

Any modification is on a cruise-by-cruise basis. If this effects your booking, you’ll be informed about your cruise directly by o or via your TA.

We have a mid July Med cruise booked on Nautica and were informed a couple days ago that final payment has been moved to 60 days out. Can't imagine things won't improve by then so the wondering of what it means begins.

22 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

We have a mid July Med cruise booked on Nautica and were informed a couple days ago that final payment has been moved to 60 days out. Can't imagine things won't improve by then so the wondering of what it means begins.

Which July sailing?  

23 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

FDR long ago said it takes 90 days to bring a ship out of cold storage and return to sailing.

Sailings have not returned to previously expected levels. Therefore, cruise line cash flows have not returned as projected. Watch the positioning of the Nautica and see if she goes into dry dock , in the next month or so, for those “ Next” upgrades. NCLH is hemorrhaging cash still, hard to imagine they can justify that expense right now. Everything is very fluid right now.

Another issue. Staffing the ships. Some cruisers here cry at the thought of becoming a prisoner in their cabin or suite if they test positive for Covid. Image if that cabin was crew quarters! The industry rags are reporting the lines are currently having severe problems recruiting crews. Those ships require crews to sail.

Edited by pinotlover

36 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

FDR long ago said it takes 90 days to bring a ship out of cold storage and return to sailing.

Sailings have not returned to previously expected levels. Therefore, cruise line cash flows have not returned as projected. Watch the positioning of the Nautica and see if she goes into dry dock , in the next month or so, for those “ Next” upgrades. NCLH is hemorrhaging cash still, hard to imagine they can justify that expense right now. Everything is very fluid right now.

Another issue. Staffing the ships. Some cruisers here cry at the thought of becoming a prisoner in their cabin or suite if they test positive for Covid. Image if that cabin was crew quarters! The industry rags are reporting the lines are currently having severe problems recruiting crews. Those ships require crews to sail.

True, all that. No cancellations so far for the Nautica restart after the NEXT upgrade, but we'll see. Where will the drydock take place, Genoa?

We cancelled an August 2022 cruise with final payment being due March 12th, and penalties beginning in February.    Even with CFAR insurance we would have been out 25% of our fare.   Not willing to roll the dice.  

We, HOPEFULLY, will be sailing on Riviera for 30 days come October 2023.   Watching things closely to see how things are going to decide if we keep that cruise under deposit.   Fourth time is the charm, I hope! 

16 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Seriously Susiesan, is your glass half empty?
There is a lot of positive implications to the article that you posted, thank you for the link.
We can’t expect the yellow screaming journalism newspapers to point us to the silver lining. Commentary in the Wall Street Journal, for example, suggest that it’s possible that the OmiCron variant will smooth us into an endemic condition, where we live with Covid just as we live with the flu and bad colds.

Putting my money where my mouth is, I have two July 2022 European River cruises already booked, and I am looking to book my business class tickets any day now. My glass is half full!

+1. Already have an eleven day European river cruise for Jun 22 booked with extra days on both sides. Airfare booked.

You & I both had delightful cruises last summer while the half emptied mostly sat at home and pouted. Looks as if that scenario may well be repeating itself.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Looks as if that scenario may well be repeating itself.

This is very depressing to me.
For anyone with poor health or underlying medical conditions, I get it. Hunker down, prioritize, isolate at home. It’s the right thing to do.

I hope we can soon shift from mass hysteria to focusing on protecting the vulnerable, whoever they are. The rest of us will get on with our lives. Let’s See how long it takes before this post is deleted.

• Like 4

For us, other than the final payment date being too soon to be able to make an informed decision as to what August will

hold, it’s not a matter of fearing Covid WHILE cruising it’s getting to Iceland and finding we cannot board due to a positive test at the cruise terminal.   Also, we chose the cruise for specific ports, one of which is St. Petersburg.    We would rather not play port roulette.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

For us, other than the final payment date being too soon to be able to make an informed decision as to what August will

hold, it’s not a matter of fearing Covid WHILE cruising it’s getting to Iceland and finding we cannot board due to a positive test at the cruise terminal.   Also, we chose the cruise for specific ports, one of which is St. Petersburg.    We would rather not play port roulette.  

Understood and a key consideration!

This is why we chose a 2 week Caribbean cruise for our restart after 2 years. IMO, Caribbean ports are mostly a “dime a dozen” and a “cruise to nowhere” will be just as much fun. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

This is why we chose a 2 week Caribbean cruise for our restart after 2 years. IMO, Caribbean ports are mostly a “dime a dozen” and a “cruise to nowhere” will be just as much fun. 

Conversely, we’ve been to a bulk of the ports on our 2023 30 day Barcelona to Athens cruise so not getting to the ports advertised, while not ideal, won’t be a big deal.  Would love to get to Florence, Venice, Istanbul and Izmir again, however.  

Also,  if we were to test positive in

Barcelona, once any quarantine ended we’d switch it up and do a land trip.   

• Like 1

We are not worried about the ship. We just are not cruise excursion types of travelers. I know it works well for others, but it does not at all for us. We DIY or private. Also, having to possibly quarantine in a port… or missing ports, is not on our bucket list.  As much as we enjoy and choose ships carefully, we also cruise for the ports. 
I do not view that as half glass empty, but rather knowing what is important to us on a vacation. I agree that the Caribbean has a lot of similar ports, and I can see why those itineraries would be easier to be flexible. I think it highly likely that trips this Spring in Europe, and likely other areas, will require what we do not enjoy. That’s reality, not half glass empty - for us. For others, it will work and I applaud that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

We are not ship tour people  not like all the testing involved  so we will just  wait until the world is a better place  before we book a cruise 

just a personal choice

we have enough stress in our lives  we do not need more to go on vacation

JMO

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We are not ship tour people  not like all the testing involved  so we will just  wait until the world is a better place  before we book a cruise 

just a personal choice

we have enough stress in our lives  we do not need more to go on vacation

JMO

I will admit that travel is much more stressful these days. AUGH!
But I have to travel before reality sets in….. (cancer survivor, elderly husband just out of the hospital, other issues?)……. So it is what it is, but everyone’s situation is different.

Hugs to all!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I will admit that travel is much more stressful these days. AUGH!
But I have to travel before reality sets in….. (cancer survivor, elderly husband just out of the hospital, other issues?)……. So it is what it is, but everyone’s situation is different.

Hugs to all!

I wish you safe travels

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Our first cruise back was this past August.  We needed to get out of Dodge so to speak, so we drove to Seattle, spending time in the city for several days pre-cruise , and did a quick 7 day Alaska on one if NCL’s larger ships at half capacity.   It filled the need to cruise.   

Edited by LNielsen
LNielsen
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

Our first cruise back was this past August.  We needed to get out of Dodge so to speak, so we drove to Seattle, spending time in the city for several days pre-cruise , and did a quick 7 day Alaska on one if NCL’s larger ships at half capacity.   It filled the need to cruise.   

Just boarded Riviera. My understanding is that there’s about 600 passengers due. I’m fine with 50% capacity. Also, pre-Cruise, we were notified of only one port change (though I expect we’ll see a few more once we take off).

I fully understand “get out of Dodge.” Though NorCal (home) is an excellent place for “staycations,” we got the itch to start traveling again this past summer and, so far, we’ve done Disneyland (the real one in SoCal) in August with the grandkid, Kauai in September and now the Caribbean.

My only complaint (definitely “first world”) is all the lead up paperwork, testing, itinerary changing (flights, cruises, etc). It really says a lot in favor of only doing long trips (if for no other reason than to minimize the amount of “hoop jumping red tape” in a single year.

• Like 1

For all the people here who say they would be happy to just float around for 7-10 days with no port stops, would you be willing to do that in Europe? There is a lot more cost, time, and  hassle involved in flying to Europe versus flying to Miami. The cruise cost on a per day basis for the same cabin is a lot more in Europe than in the Caribbean.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Just boarded Riviera. My understanding is that there’s about 600 passengers due. I’m fine with 50% capacity. Also, pre-Cruise, we were notified of only one port change (though I expect we’ll see a few more once we take off).

I fully understand “get out of Dodge.” Though NorCal (home) is an excellent place for “staycations,” we got the itch to start traveling again this past summer and, so far, we’ve done Disneyland (the real one in SoCal) in August with the grandkid, Kauai in September and now the Caribbean.

My only complaint (definitely “first world”) is all the lead up paperwork, testing, itinerary changing (flights, cruises, etc). It really says a lot in favor of only doing long trips (if for no other reason than to minimize the amount of “hoop jumping red tape” in a single year.

So glad you’re onboard.  Enjoy every moment.  

DH and I grew up in Danville only leaving after our second child was born to move further inland.  Loved being in the Bay Area and the ease of it being a jumping off point for vacations.  We ended up in Lincoln (Sacramento area)  which afforded easy trips to Tahoe and beyond, before moving to Oregon when DH transferred with his engineering firm to finish out his career on a large infrastructure project.    He hopes to retire at the end of 2025.  

We generally refuse to board a ship

for anything less that 14 days, with our preference of at least 18.  Once he retires we’ll have the luxury of longer cruises without the worry of his desk piling up.   

Anyway, have a fabulous cruise. 

Edited by LNielsen
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, susiesan said:

For all the people here who say they would be happy to just float around for 7-10 days with no port stops, would you be willing to do that in Europe? There is a lot more cost, time, and  hassle involved in flying to Europe versus flying to Miami. The cruise cost on a per day basis for the same cabin is a lot more in Europe than in the Caribbean.

10 sea days on my Rome to Miami cruise this past November. So, yes! Definitely happy to sail on an O ship in Europe with only a few ports. I have another TA booked March 2023. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Agree absolutely. The paperwork/hassle factor to travel is approaching ridiculousness. Therefore longer trips make sense! (If only my husband would agree!) 🤨 

• Like 1