Viking Transfer Question

LP987

We are scheduled to sail 2/15 on Viking Sea out of San Juan and I arranged our air travel. Does anyone know about how much Viking transfers are from San Juan airport to ship?  I called Viking and they require I send an email to get costs. Just wondering if better to do Viking transfers or taxi/Uber. Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, LP987 said:

We are scheduled to sail 2/15 on Viking Sea out of San Juan and I arranged our air travel. Does anyone know about how much Viking transfers are from San Juan airport to ship?  I called Viking and they require I send an email to get costs. Just wondering if better to do Viking transfers or taxi/Uber. Thank you. 

How tough is it to send e-mail?

6 minutes ago, LP987 said:

Typically the Viking transfers have been $49 per person.  The airport is 20 minutes or so from the port without heavy rush hour traffic.  Think to OSJ in the AM from OSJ in the PM.  Taxi can be $20-25 with two people and luggage.  Taxis typically charge per bag for luggage.  Uber is less but need to request a van or SUV if you have luggage since many of the drivers have small cars.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LP987 said:

I know this seems silly but, try calling again. If you didn't before, start the conversation by saying by getting the agents name and then that you are calling about an existing booking and give the details of when you leave and from where. Then ask your question.  Repeat process if necessary because this is information that you should be able to get over the phone.

Also, keep in mind that Viking transfers are only on embarkation day and only available to passengers arriving at the airport that day. 

The price Tayana quoted is per person, one way. 

Edited by Peregrina651

Thanks for info. I did send an email on Monday and I have not received a response to it. I called Viking again today and was told the price for transfers is $49 per person each way. It may not be a private shuttle and will vary based on if other passengers are arriving or departing airport at the same time.   You much complete a Transfer Request form at least 30 days prior to sailing. Viking agent will email this form upon request. 

I may go with the shuttle mentioned above  because it appears to be $56 total each way. If anyone has pros or cons for taking Viking shuttle, please let me know. Thanks again!  

With COVID, I think a private vehicle is best. I would do a taxi or uber or private transfer over Viking just to be extra careful since you will be getting tested daily and it is appearing that most positive cases are resulting from exposure during travel to the ship.

Viking transfers are great if you have mobility problems or are uncomfortable finding your way to the taxis or Uber pick-up. But a private transfer may be cheaper and also guarantee a private vehicle.

• Like 2

And to be honest---we have 'free' Viking transfers on our cruise departing Los Angeles on February 6.

We are not using them and will instead use a private car. No way I am getting in a vehicle with other travelers during omicron. No way to know how careful they have been and we are avoiding any possible exposure during travel. I don't want to test positive 3-5 days after boarding to save $50.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, LP987 said:

. If anyone has pros or cons for taking Viking shuttle, please let me know. Thanks again!  

Cons:

Cost is much higher than a taxi in San Juan. 

May end up spending time waiting for others’ flights to arrive so they take a full bus. Would be better to be already on board or out sightseeing. 

If you’re arriving in San Juan early on embarkation day, having your own transportation means you should be able to go sightseeing prior to entering Viking’s bubble.  I don’t think this will be the case of you use their service. Once you check in at the airport, I believe you have entered the bubble and won’t be allowed off on your own until disembarkation. 

Potential for waiting to board since likely to be a bus load of folks all trying to check in at once. 

Pros:

Only at disembarkation if you have a tight flight schedule and need to be at the airport very early OR if you have a very late flight, Viking might put you on a bus that does a little touring or have a room reserved at a hotel for you to wait (this presumes they have folks who bought air through them with schedules similar to yours. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LP987 said:

Thanks for info. I did send an email on Monday and I have not received a response to it. I called Viking again today and was told the price for transfers is $49 per person each way. It may not be a private shuttle and will vary based on if other passengers are arriving or departing airport at the same time.   You much complete a Transfer Request form at least 30 days prior to sailing. Viking agent will email this form upon request. 

I may go with the shuttle mentioned above  because it appears to be $56 total each way. If anyone has pros or cons for taking Viking shuttle, please let me know. Thanks again!  

In these times, private transport might be best.  We got off the ship in San Juan in December.  We got the Sheraton (just across the street and down a block from the ship) to get us a taxi.   With 2 bags apiece, it was just $25 TOTAL.  And very efficient (non-rush hour).  Definitely the way to go.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

And to be honest---we have 'free' Viking transfers on our cruise departing Los Angeles on February 6.

We are not using them and will instead use a private car. No way I am getting in a vehicle with other travelers during omicron. No way to know how careful they have been and we are avoiding any possible exposure during travel. I don't want to test positive 3-5 days after boarding to save $50.

Agreed!

We are also going to "give up" the free Viking transfers for awhile.  Too risky to get into any vehicle with other Viking passengers.  !

• Like 1