Being careful before cruise

sassyw

After reading blog written by 2 men quarantined on the Explorer we cancelled our hotel stay perc given because we are in a concierge cabin. These two gentlemen think they got the virus from going to the bar at the hotel. Since our cruise is on the 24th we did not get any credit from Regent and since we don't have to fly to get to the cruise we decided to be safe. We have stopped going to restaurants, etc to help guarantee we are negative when tested. We are looking forward to the cruise (Regent Splendor back to back 1/24 until 2/17

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I remember them saying that the bar served as an impromptu Regent meet and greet and that, since FL does not require mask wearing, they didn’t wear their masks.  I don’t think the hotel stay was the issue, but letting down your guard about the transmissibility of Covid was.  

We leave in 8 days, but we are flying out on Thursday.  We got a PCR test yesterday and will get another on the Sunday before embarkation.  We plan to mask, keep distance, eat outdoors, clean our hands - everything that kept us healthy for two years!  

Will all this be the magic formula?  Who knows.  We have our fingers crossed that we stay negative before, during and after the cruise. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

We are on the 2/3 Splendor sailing also.  We decided to cancel our flights and make the 9 hour drive to the port over 2 days to eliminate any airport or airline factors from the equation.  A little extreme?  Maybe,  But we are erring on the side of caution also, to minimize any chance of the dreaded quarantine.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DatawCruiser said:

We are on the 2/3 Splendor sailing also.  We decided to cancel our flights and make the 9 hour drive to the port over 2 days to eliminate any airport or airline factors from the equation.  A little extreme?  Maybe,  But we are erring on the side of caution also, to minimize any chance of the dreaded quarantine.

Did the same thing before our December 18 Mariner cruise. Have a great trip. Splendor is splendiforous!

• Like 1

Last Monday we returned from a 12 night cruise on the Oceania Riviera (1,200 pax) and the one thing that shocked me was just how many of the passenger took no precautions during the cruise.  We watched bus load after bus load of passengers return to the ship and at least 50% did not bother to use the two hand sanitizer stations at the end of the gangway prior to re boarding.  I think Oceania should have monitored this better.  And (big surprise!) several passengers tested positive in the following days.  Also, saw women use the ladies room, touch every handle, lock, etc and walk out without washing their hands.  Seems some people just don’t care.

This thread contains good advice! While we all are concerned about getting Covid ON a cruise, I suspect chances are greater depending on what you do before the cruise. Since Omicron hit, we have stopped going to bars, restaurants, and such. When we must go shopping, we mask up and avoid crowded stores. Masks are not required where we live, but business owners can mandate them, and many have. And there is no rule or law against masks even where not required, and we wear them. And even though we have just been hanging out in semi-rural Colorado, we both came down with breakthrough Omicron despite both having three vacs. This new strain is nasty! It seems to spread in environments where earlier strains wouldn’t. Fortunately, breakthrough Omicron isn’t deadly and rarely requires hospitalization among otherwise vaccinated healthy people. The symptoms are like a mild cold, but coupled with extreme fatigue. Stay safe, all!

Edited by Dolebludger

1 hour ago, FengShui@Sea said:

Also, saw women use the ladies room, touch every handle, lock, etc and walk out without washing their hands.  Seems some people just don’t care.

I've seen men doing the same (this was on Seabourn).  They'd go straight to the lunch buffet, handling the common utensils and picking up bread and cheese etc. with their bare hands.

Just remember that mask-wearing is not a panacea.  Most masks don't protect the wearer, but protect others from the wearer.  So unless most people are wearing masks (properly), there's not a huge benefit (unless the ones with the masks happen to be infected).  I'm not an epidemiologist, btw; this is what I've gleaned from the experts.  We see it all the time here in Florida--we wear our masks assiduously, but they're not N95, so they're not protecting us.  With all the people around us maskless, we have to depend on proper physical distancing, really, and just lack of social contact for protection.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

saw women use the ladies room, touch every handle, lock, etc and walk out without washing their hands.  Seems some people just don’t care.

Sad to say that I have seen women doing this on many, many occasions on Regent (and other ships) long before the pandemic, but of course  Norovirus was always a concern. I always called them out for it (I still do in restaurants, etc.). They mostly look sheepish and wash their hands.

My DH reports seeing the same in the Gents………

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huggsy said:

"Wash your hands, you filthy animal!"

It was more like “Excuse me. Aren’t you going to wash your hands?” In a voice and accompanying facial expression that conveyed your comment 🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lprp said:

It was more like “Excuse me. Aren’t you going to wash your hands?” In a voice and accompanying facial expression that conveyed your comment 🙄

Nice one! A few years back I called someone out in the Ladies' on a Cunard cruise; I don't know who was most surprised - she who was challenged or me in her actually complying. Her sheepish expression was priceless 😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2022 at 10:32 AM, Dolebludger said:

This thread contains good advice! While we all are concerned about getting Covid ON a cruise, I suspect chances are greater depending on what you do before the cruise. Since Omicron hit, we have stopped going to bars, restaurants, and such. When we must go shopping, we mask up and avoid crowded stores. Masks are not required where we live, but business owners can mandate them, and many have. And there is no rule or law against masks even where not required, and we wear them. And even though we have just been hanging out in semi-rural Colorado, we both came down with breakthrough Omicron despite both having three vacs. This new strain is nasty! It seems to spread in environments where earlier strains wouldn’t. Fortunately, breakthrough Omicron isn’t deadly and rarely requires hospitalization among otherwise vaccinated healthy people. The symptoms are like a mild cold, but coupled with extreme fatigue. Stay safe, all!

I agree 100%, it’s up to you to be careful.  I just don’t understand people that just don’t care—then want everything when the get Covid.  Don’t just think about your self think about others……

• Like 1