19 year old and drink packages

Woody14

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I believe the OP is Canadian, hence the question as 19 yo is legal drinking age in Canada, or at least in most provinces.  

Yep. 21 is a quaint Americanism from the '80's, not shared by most of the rest of the world. And it would be odd if I were Canadian if I could buy a drink in Vancouver, board an international flagged vessel in Vancouver, and suddenly not be able to buy a drink...

But that's the way it is.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I don't mean to be critical but I'm curious. Why do you want your 19 year old to drink?

Personally, I've seen sufficient evidence to believe safer environments are created and with less binge drinking and other issues if it's not a forbidden fruit that we turn young adults loose with upon reaching 21.   The US is pretty unusual with an age 21 restriction. 

• Like 6

We are Canadian and on our Mediterranean Cruise a few years ago (with RC) we signed permission for my son (19 at the time) to drink - this exception on board allowed him to purchase beer and wine only (no hard liquor).  We thought he'd be ok to drink at that age without the exception since it was Europe, but I believe they said they use the US drinking age across the fleet?

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

I don't mean to be critical but I'm curious. Why do you want your 19 year old to drink?

because

1. The 19 year old adult is legally allowed to make her own drinking decisions where she lives. 

2. in most  nations the legal drinking age is 18.  (some places younger, some with no limits at all)

This is a list of the only countries in the world with a 21+ age limit on adults:

Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Iraq, Kiribati, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Oman, Palau, Samoa, Sri Lanka, United States

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Woody14 said:

Thanks for sending me the waiver https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Alcohol_Waiver_Celebrity.pdf

so question one seems that this does exist.

Anyone ever done this?

Yep, we did it for our daughter several years ago during a Med cruise on the Equinox.  She was 20 at the time. Worked great.  

It is pretty easy to bring booze on board*, think Rum Runners. 

* I'm in no way advocating violating ships rules. In fact you are likely to go straight to hell by doing so. Just saying what some people do.

Edited by mac66

9 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I love Laphroaig. Their 18 was one of my favorite whiskies before they discontinued it. I still enjoy the 10, though. 

It's polarizing stuff. Very smoky and petty. I half joke about it being like putting your head in the firebox of a BBQ pit (and that really is only half a joke). If you love it, there's nothing else like it. If you don't love it, you hate it, and you're glad to know there's nothing else like it.

I like it too and usually have the 10 year on hand but I would never gift it to a non scotch drinker.  Probably not even to a scotch drinker unless I know they like peaty scotch. If the recipient is not a scotch drinker they may never try scotch agian. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mac66 said:

It is pretty easy to bring booze on board*, think Rum Runners. 

* I'm in no way advocating violating ships rules. In fact you are likely to go straight to hell by doing so. Just saying what some people do.

Actually pretty stupid to do that with AI I using booze on board.  Makes no sense any longer.

5 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

because

1. The 19 year old adult is legally allowed to make her own drinking decisions where she lives. 

2. in most  nations the legal drinking age is 18.  (some places younger, some with no limits at all)

This is a list of the only countries in the world with a 21+ age limit on adults:

Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Iraq, Kiribati, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Oman, Palau, Samoa, Sri Lanka, United States

A few of my reasons for looking at this (asking the question) are:

a.  Legal drinking age in our home province(state) is 19

b.  Canada considers her an adult at 18 providing her with full voting rights.

c.  We are already paying for it with the all included.

d.  generally speaking the cruise ship is a safe place for someone to try some cocktails that they may not normally try due to cost (see point c)

e.  She is paying the full fair as any other passenger I would be traveling with in my cabin so shouldn't she have the same rights

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Putting aside the drinking age, I always laugh in these threads about having parents sign a waiver to have legal adults drink.

Makes me laugh as well, one legal adult having to sign off for another legal adult, it's ridiculous.   

3 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

d.  generally speaking the cruise ship is a safe place for someone to try some cocktails that they may not normally try due to cost (see point c)

e.  She is paying the full fair as any other passenger I would be traveling with in my cabin so shouldn't she have the same rights

totally agree with you 🙂

5 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

Woody - understand.   I think you will find it really simple to try those cocktails and share.  

Disagree about a 19yr old having the same rights as a 21yr old in the USA regarding drinking alcoholic beverages.   I don't like all the laws and rules in either the US or Canada but comply with Canadian law/rules when in Canada.  

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, mac66 said:

What does "with AI I using booze on board"  mean?

I took it to mean Artificial Intelligence is using booze on board.  To address an earlier question, you'd think someone from a state next door to Canada might have a clue as to what the legal drinking age is in BC.  Microphone drop... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ben Kenobi said:

I took it to mean Artificial Intelligence is using booze on board.  To address an earlier question, you'd think someone from a state next door to Canada might have a clue as to what the legal drinking age is in BC.  Microphone drop... 

I believe they mean all alcohol included.

1 hour ago, mac66 said:

What does "with AI I using booze on board"  mean?

Almost every Celebrity fare today is All Included.  Thus a basic beverage package, internet and gratuities are included in your fare.  Thus pretty dumb to smuggle booze on board when it is free unless you purchased a sail only fare at the last minute.

I do think bringing a special bottle of wine on board (2 per cabin OK) for a special occasion is great.

No point in debating the US drinking age.  It is what it is.  Little or no interest in a change back to 18.  As an historical point, when it was changed to 18 there were huge problems at universities.   Huge student population here living away from home compared to most countries.

On 1/12/2022 at 2:14 PM, D C said:

Personally, I've seen sufficient evidence to believe safer environments are created and with less binge drinking and other issues if it's not a forbidden fruit that we turn young adults loose with upon reaching 21.   The US is pretty unusual with an age 21 restriction. 

Agreed, Blame MADD.

On 1/12/2022 at 1:32 PM, skatie said:

We are Canadian and on our Mediterranean Cruise a few years ago (with RC) we signed permission for my son (19 at the time) to drink - this exception on board allowed him to purchase beer and wine only (no hard liquor).  We thought he'd be ok to drink at that age without the exception since it was Europe, but I believe they said they use the US drinking age across the fleet?

Funny how they foreign flag when convenient and then US rules when they have to.

Surprised though that they wouldn't want to make more money but maybe they just want you to be older to avoid crazy booze cruises, so I get it.

40 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

Funny how they foreign flag when convenient and then US rules when they have to.

Surprised though that they wouldn't want to make more money but maybe they just want you to be older to avoid crazy booze cruises, so I get it.

It's not that they have to. I suspect they don't want to be a drinking destination for those for whom it isn't legal.  Crazy that they would follow the bizarre US drinking age when sailing from other countries. 

22 hours ago, Ben Kenobi said:

you'd think someone from a state next door to Canada might have a clue as to what the legal drinking age is in BC

My US state borders, oh let me think, 4 others, so of course I know all the laws in each of those states, NOT, such a ridiculous comment.  WTH would anyone care

I've been able to drink for decades in most any country. Aside from my kids having to deal with the silly US laws, I have no idea what drinking laws are in any bordering state or province.