NCL Please Modify Your Peace of Mind Policy-NOW!

chas

I am in the same "boat" as many of you. We were supposed to sail on the Breakaway in March of 2020, when Covid was first ramping up. At that time we used their Peace of mind policy to postpone and take the future cruise credit (we paid cash for the cruise but did not have cancellation insurance). Shortly thereafter our cruise was cancelled by NCL. Because we pulled the plug first FCC was the only thing available. Okay, no problem.

I believe that our FCC had to be booked by December of 2021 for a cruise embarking before the end of 2022.

So we booked the Escape for February 26, 2022 and it's deja vu all over again. Right now we have until the end of this month to cancel on our own and get another FCC, that must be used for a sailing that embarks by this year's end, or roll the dice on NCL cancelling and possibly being able to get a monetary refund.

How about extending the deadline for cancelling the cruise, so as a passenger I can be in a better position to make my decision. And while you're at it don't make me have to use any FCC for a cruise that takes place only in 2022. We booked March and February cruises to get away in the winter and we'd rather not sail later this year during hurricane season.

Please give me true Peace of Mind, not a Piece of ----. 

• Like 7

I know how you feel. I paid for my cruise in 2019 for a 2020 cruise and cancelled it HOURS before they cancelled and lost out on 150 cruise credit. Cancelled a 2021, and 2022 one week before they offered fcc. I lost 3000 dollars.  I now have 2000 fcc to use in 2023. I get that they are hurting financially but it just sucks when you keep missing out on compensation...time and time again. I wish I had at least until 2023 for the fcc. 

I’d be a much happier customer if I had 6 more months to use that FCC. I’d rebook next January.  I don’t mind hurricane season but have other trips planned this year and the fall prices are beyond ridiculous. 

I recently priced a 7 day on the Sky this fall for something crazy like $3,700 for two in a balcony. In hurricane season on one of the smallest and oldest ships in the fleet. Giving a limited duration FCC and jacking up prices so much it won’t even come close to covering another cruise this year just makes me feel like I wasted a lot of hard earned vacation dollars. A little goodwill from NCL would go a long way towards repeat business.  I love to cruise but likely won’t sail them again after this. 

• Like 3

Sadly I agree but the powers that be at NCL are brain dead imo. Right now they should push the 60 day final out to the May and June cruises at the least but I guess the cancellations don't bother them.

FCC should be a much. broader window to use before you lose but imo they should have no expiration date. Most can't even book the same cruise using just their FCC, they have to shell out more money because the pricing is so much higher.

We booked an April sailing, and need to decide on going or cancel by end of January. Seeing ports getting cancelled, shows and specialty dinning being shut down is not inspiring us to keep our reservation. We can get cash back, but nowhere enough to rebook being prices have gone up, and if we take the FCC, which has far more value, we can rebook another sailing, just nothing near what we are giving up in April.....this sucks. I wish we had 30 days prior to sailing to decide, c'mon, they can cancel the day of a sailing on us 

42 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you.     They really should stretch it out more.  Like others have stated, want a winter cruise, not summer and/or fall.  

The problem with "a winter cruise" is that it seems covid is "a winter disease" and may come back and mess things up in the winter for a couple of more years.

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

The problem with "a winter cruise" is that it seems covid is "a winter disease" and may come back and mess things up in the winter for a couple of more years.

I agree.  However, we have a March 2023 POA booked and I would like to have my FCC if I utilize POM for that sailing.    Husband and I have no desire for any other cruise as they are not our "go to" vacations.  

7 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I agree.  However, we have a March 2023 POA booked and I would like to have my FCC if I utilize POM for that sailing.    Husband and I have no desire for any other cruise as they are not our "go to" vacations.  

I get it....

My statement was a general statement.  Like, we have hurricane season in the fall.  Now we'll have covid season in the winter.  Just things to consider when people book.

I agree....they should try to be more accomodating.

I truly can't imagine the frustration that everyone's been through with all these cancellations. Our last cruise was January 2019 right before the world shut down (coincidentally, my husband got pneumonia a week after the cruise which, in retrospect may have been Covid but who knew about Covid back in January 2019?). 

I also think the cruise lines should extend FCC indefinitely - what do they care? They already have your money - it's not like they're giving your money back. It doesn't really cost them anything extra b/c your credits go towards your next booking, right? It's not like you're getting the same room at that price 10 years from now. It's a 'merchandise credit' so to speak. They're not out anything. 

• Like 4

We have 35% FCC that apparently we must book by January 31, and use by December 31.  But the prices for 2022 cruises are almost double what we're used to paying.  We will probably lose our FCC and NCL may lose a customer for life.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kuku77254 said:

But if you cancel now, is your FCC extended? Or does it still have the extended expiration date of 1/31/22 (was 12/31/21)?

If you cancel now, you have to book and embark prior to 12/31/22.  You should probably book before that.  🙂

We just cancelled our March 2022 cruise that was paid from our March 2020 FCC and now I'm scrambling to find ANYTHING that makes sense for us - my kids are school-aged, so our window is really this summer. Do we want to plan to travel to Europe in 2022? Maybe? Maybe not? I'm. not particularly confident about making any plans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Winter in cold weather climates, Summer in warm weather climates.  It is probably fair to describe it as an indoor disease.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

We have 35% FCC that apparently we must book by January 31, and use by December 31.  But the prices for 2022 cruises are almost double what we're used to paying.  We will probably lose our FCC and NCL may lose a customer for life.  

If we end up getting and losing an FCC because of the short 11 month window, I'll be of the same view.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

NCL does not have boats, they have ships.

Sure they do - they are called Life Boats (or to be proper, lifeboats). Also note the OP's use of quotation marks. Some might assume that the author was playing on words.

Edited by wacruiselover
  • Like 2