Galveston Terminal and Adventure of the Seas?

TxWendy

12 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks.

I know ship excursions are ship time but I have even been on ships where the same captain changed time one week and not the other. If the Captain changed ship time to local time one week that would mean in reality docking times would change for one week?

For this particular sailing I am more concerned with trying to determine when sunset is and when it will go dark when we are in Costa Maya, given our shortened stop.

We were on there November 12 to 22nd on a b2b.  Both times it started getting darker around 6ish.  I remember leaving Jaimies at 5 because mosquitoes were coming out.  The Adventure left late from Costa Maya well after 7pm due to ship excursions running late.  It was really nice though walking up that walkway with the sun setting on the 2nd leg.  We were dawdling as long as we could as we had such a nice time there.

39 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks.

I know ship excursions are ship time but I have even been on ships where the same captain changed time one week and not the other. If the Captain changed ship time to local time one week that would mean in reality docking times would change for one week?

For this particular sailing I am more concerned with trying to determine when sunset is and when it will go dark when we are in Costa Maya, given our shortened stop.

I'm afraid you'll have to either ask the Captain about that or take a risk (or not). No matter, it's never sound to plan things too tightly with regard to arrival and departure times on a cruise. Things can and do change even on the fly, and even more so under the current circumstances. 

25 minutes ago, dude_hdt said:

Are the drink stations self served or still staffed?  Not liking idea of employee touching 100s of cups then touching yours at the sofa machines.

Some were staffed, and some weren't, or maybe they were staffed at some times and not at others. Honestly, I didn't pay that much attention. 

Frankly, I would rather someone with clean hands touching hundreds of clean cups than hundreds of passengers touching the one I take. Crew are much, much better than many guests at maintaining proper sanitation. 

4 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I'm afraid you'll have to either ask the Captain about that or take a risk (or not). No matter, it's never sound to plan things too tightly with regard to arrival and departure times on a cruise. Things can and do change even on the fly, and even more so under the current circumstances. 

Some were staffed, and some weren't, or maybe they were staffed at some times and not at others. Honestly, I didn't pay that much attention. 

Frankly, I would rather someone with clean hands touching hundreds of clean cups than hundreds of passengers touching the one I take. Crew are much, much better than many guests at maintaining proper sanitation. 

Liberty in dec had no drink stations. They cited covid when I asked the diamond concierge. Have to go to a bar for a soft drink. ..out of Galveston. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Liberty in dec had no drink stations. They cited covid when I asked the diamond concierge. Have to go to a bar for a soft drink. ..out of Galveston. 

They had them last week. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We were on there November 12 to 22nd on a b2b.  Both times it started getting darker around 6ish.  I remember leaving Jaimies at 5 because mosquitoes were coming out.  The Adventure left late from Costa Maya well after 7pm due to ship excursions running late.  It was really nice though walking up that walkway with the sun setting on the 2nd leg.  We were dawdling as long as we could as we had such a nice time there.

Thanks - that was what I was thinking. We were staying in Cozumel in December and sunset was around 6.15pm EST if I recall correctly.

I assume you are talking “ship times” and that your port hours were 11-7pm “ship time”?

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You know, we might be thinking about different things when we say "drink stations." Windjammer had out their glasses of water, tea, and lemonade. That's as much as I paid attention to. 

Judging by the number of those that came up to bars for fountain sodas, what you might be thinking of still might be gone, but I really don't know.

10 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

No intention of planning too tightly, or not being flexible. I have been on too many cruises to understand things can and do change. I am trying to determine how many useful daylight hours I have in port as opposed to actual hours. 

I suppose the upside is I may catch “Happy Hour” on the malecon if the mosquitoes aren’t too bad as reported above. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks - that was what I was thinking. We were staying in Cozumel in December and sunset was around 6.15pm EST if I recall correctly.

I assume you are talking “ship times” and that your port hours were 11-7pm “ship time”?

We actually got changed to 1230-7p but yes, ship time.  I think Costa Maya was an hr ahead for some reason.

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I agree with the regular glass for water/tea/juice.  I'm worried about the tumbler they give you with the drink packages and usage at Freestyle soda machines.  Everyone handing their tumbler to employees could leave all sorts of stuff on that hand.  Just have to wipe down the tumbler when employee hands it back to you I guess.

4 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We actually got changed to 1230-7p but yes, ship time.  I think Costa Maya was an hr ahead for some reason.

Thanks! I didn’t realize they had adjusted the times that far back although I thought when I booked it 3pm seemed very early for leaving Galveston.

Quintana Roo stays on EST year round - they stopped daylight savings a few years back. We are on B2B, same as you so we will see how it goes the first leg!

Just got off Adventure of the Seas on Monday the 17th. It was a lot of fun!

When you get to the terminal, there's a separate room for printing tags and checking bags before the entrance to security and check-in. I recommend taking advantage of that. I didn't, and it was a mild inconvenience to lug around bags until my cabin was ready at ~2:00PM.

Have your boarding pass, ID, vaccine card, and full PDF or printed COVID results ready (a simple text won't work). Multiple people will ask for these on multiple occasions.

Strangely, you reach the security checkpoint before you reach the check-in desks. The process is: check bags > go through security > check-in.

Due to large amounts of staff in quarantine, all production shows (theater and ice) were canceled. To make up for this, Royal Caribbean hired a Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons tribute group to perform in the main theater on our cruise. It was great!

When you get off the ship in Cozumel, the port has security checking random bags and a drug sniffing dog to greet you.

When you return to the ship from either port, you go through security inside the ship.

Don't put off doing activities you want to do. You never know if they will be canceled. The last sea day on the way back to Galveston was so rough, they shut down the ice rink, the flow rider, the water slides, and the rock wall. They also drained the swimming pools and had barf bags on the stairwells.

Thankfully, I did not wait until the last day to try ice skating and the flow rider.

The Windjammer allows you to make reservations, but I never made one and they don't require one. You scan your sea pass on the way in and on the way out. They have sinks for you to wash your hands at the entry and staff members serving you, so other passengers don't play with your food before you get to it. But, the staff gets busy sometimes and you have to wait a minute for them to serve you. The selection of food options in the Windjammer was smaller than I expected when I went there for lunch two days.

The only options for complimentary drinks in the Cafe Promenade are: hot coffee, cold water, and lemonade that is sometimes watered down. The Windjammer also had iced tea (and orange juice during breakfast), but the Windjammer is not always open.

The food in the main dining room was fabulous! If you do anytime dining, you will only be seated with your party. Since I traveled solo, I had a table to myself.

The ship was nowhere near capacity. For many years, I had read that pool decks get completely full on sea days with no chairs to be found. On the first sea day (which was warm), there were plenty of deck chairs available on the pool deck. In the evenings, most entertainment venues (such as the Imperial Lounge, Schooner Bar, Boleros, etc.) only had a few people in them.

The ship stayed on Central Standard Time (Galveston's time zone) the entire cruise. Costa Maya and Cozumel were one hour ahead of ship time.

Be sure to wave to the Harbor House Hotel as the ship departs from Galveston. That's where the Galveston Cruise Cam is located. There will also be people on Pier 21 waving goodbye.

• Like 1