Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW)

blurrededge

Does anyone have experience with this covid test?  Just contacted HAL and they could not tell me if this specific test is accepted.  I am thinking it is as it is a molecular test - molecular tests are on the list, but wanted to make sure as I would rather not scramble at the pier.

Thanks,

Don

It is a molecular test and last I knew was accepted by HAL.  And the Rapid ID Now test produces results relatively quickly, as in an hour or two.  My family had one last June to go to Hawaii, at their local Walgreens.  I do not have personal experience with having had one as they are not offered in our area.  "Most of us" use the Rapid Antigen test these days because they are more readily available and the results are offered quickly, usually within minutes to an hour.

• Like 1

It must be the proctored version to be accepted.  Please read the several other threads addressing the Abbott BINAX Now Ag tests.  You can do them at home or get them at other locations.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=abbott+binaxnow+ag+card&docid=608043425150365798&mid=A9BF62256690B099BF23A9BF62256690B099BF23&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Oakridger--you seem to be confusing the ID Now test with the rapid antigen test.  The ID Now test is a nucleic acid amplification test, not an antigen test.  One type of NAAT is the PCR test that somehow has become the general term described used to describe the more thorough test, and another type of the NAAT test is the molecular test, which ID Now is.  The ID Now test cannot be purchased by someone and monitored by a medical professional; it is administered by a professional in the first place.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blurrededge said:

Does anyone have experience with this covid test?  Just contacted HAL and they could not tell me if this specific test is accepted.  I am thinking it is as it is a molecular test - molecular tests are on the list, but wanted to make sure as I would rather not scramble at the pier.

Thanks,

Don

Yes it is an acceptable NAAT test. We have had these tests performed for two cruises so far.  Both were done at a Walgreens drive up window. Results were back in under two hours. We brought paper copies of the results pdf to the pier, but showing a copy on your phone would have been OK. 

Don, just as Cruise Suzy reported, my DW and I also got the ID Now test at a local Walgreens before our mid-Nov. cruise. No problem with HAL accepting it. We're going to do it again tomorrow for a Jan. 16 th week on Rotterdam. I've learned that Walgreens opens appointments online up to 7 days ahead. So, I get on their site about 6 am 8 days ahead of cruise to grab the earliest appointments. In Nov., our results arrived via e-mail about 5 hours later.

David

Using my very rusty Danish, I read that Flodhest is asking how to get the required travel testing in Hawaii before flying back home to Denmark.

They will be sailing on HAL from Canada to Hawaii and then flying home from there.

My guess is that Flodhest (Hippopotamus in English) may understand a reply in English from CC members in Hawaii.

David

I just had a Covid Test cancelled with CVS.  Leaving tomorrow morning for Fort Lauderdale.  I’m wondering what options are available?  
I am very frustrated because I booked this ten days ago.  
I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations you might have for me.  

3 minutes ago, Mooregre said:

I just had a Covid Test cancelled with CVS.  Leaving tomorrow morning for Fort Lauderdale.  I’m wondering what options are available?  
I am very frustrated because I booked this ten days ago.  
I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations you might have for me.  

Check with Lab Doctor, 954-530-4447, open 8AM-5:30PM, 1427-A SE 17th St, FLL, Antigen Test with same day results, $49

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, echoshipmate said:

hard for me to understand relying on a drug store or equivalent, when you can safely and hassle free effectively test in your home at your convenience at any time within the 2 day window and get your results instantly.

The CVS store is literally down the street and the test was free.  That’s why.  I will use only at home options in the future.  Thank you.

23 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

Oakridger--you seem to be confusing the ID Now test with the rapid antigen test.  The ID Now test is a nucleic acid amplification test, not an antigen test.  One type of NAAT is the PCR test that somehow has become the general term described used to describe the more thorough test, and another type of the NAAT test is the molecular test, which ID Now is.  The ID Now test cannot be purchased by someone and monitored by a medical professional; it is administered by a professional in the first place.

I believe this is what I was referring to that HAL states they will accept:

COVID-19 Test for Travel - Abbott BinaxNOW™ Ag At-Home Kit 2 Pack | Optum Store

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, echoshipmate said:

hard for me to understand relying on a drug store or equivalent, when you can safely and hassle free effectively test in your home at your convenience at any time within the 2 day window and get your results instantly.

Not everyone has a smartphone

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mooregre said:

Thank you’

Another option is a testing facility at the airport (Naomi I think).  In baggage area of terminal 3.  My brother used it in Dec and said it was quick and easy and cost about $59.

3 hours ago, oakridger said:

I believe this is what I was referring to that HAL states they will accept:

COVID-19 Test for Travel - Abbott BinaxNOW™ Ag At-Home Kit 2 Pack | Optum Store

I think the confusion is ID NOW and BinaxNOW are two different rapid tests from Abbott. The first is a PCR NAAT test that requires portable lab equipment to process your nasal swab. The second is an antigen blood test that you can do at home.  The OP asked about the first test which is always medically observed as there is no home test.

As you correctly point out, if someone is getting the other test (Binax NOW), then it must be the proctored one.

Using my very rusty Danish, I read that Flodhest is asking how to get the required travel testing in Hawaii before flying back home to Denmark.

They will be sailing on HAL from Canada to Hawaii and then flying home from there.

My guess is that Flodhest (Hippopotamus in English) may understand a reply in English from CC members in Hawaii.

There is a covid testing facility in the Honolulu airport.

https://www.oneoahu.org/covid19-testing