Best place to purchase alcohol

GroundHog1961

Hi 62! There’s 2 ports in Cozumel that NCL uses; Punta Langosta is the main port which is in the main shopping area of Cozumel & the international port which is further away but still walkable. If you dock in Punta Langosta come out of the port area, turn right & it’s about a 5 minute walk on left side of street. If you arrive at the international port, exiting the port you turn left & it’s about a 20 minute walk to Mega Store which will be on your right side of the street. Better yet, ask anyone. Mega Store is like Mexico’s Walmart. If crew are allowed off your ship, follow them. That’s the cheapest place to find anything. Prices are extremely reasonable. Go there just to get an idea of fair pricing. 

I’m always using up my unspent OBC at the end of my cruise to purchase anything so my balance will be zero. Some ships some times have good buy 1, get 1 free offers. At that point it’s “free” money that has to be spent. 

Have a fantastic & safe cruise. 

Also- is there a limit as to how much you can bring back through customs? I can't remember if it is a dollar amount or number of bottles?

Although not on the same route- there was a place in St Thomas- near a large market where I would bring back 2 bottles of banana rum

I decided that the hassle of giving it to security upon boarding, the effort to then recover it and then transport it home, not worth the small price savings you might find.  Big city chain liquor stores pretty much match those prices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

Also- is there a limit as to how much you can bring back through customs? I can't remember if it is a dollar amount or number of bottles?

1 Liter per adult.  My liter was Johnnie Walker Blue purchased with my OBC on the last night.  I also had a bottle of Bailey's.  But nobody asked me as I came off the Bliss so there's that.

Edited by phillygwm

Mega for sure in Cozumel. We purchased cheap stuff there. We had a private tour in Roatan last summer too and asked our guide for a local grocery store. It was cheaper there too. You would have to leave the ports areas in Costa Maya and "fake" Belize to get good deals in those ports. If you have a private tour or taxi, just ask where the locals go.

6 hours ago, Smq123 said:

On the ship using your OBC. Otherwise, the Mega Store in Cozamel. 

Google Maps

Google map - Mega Store is the white roof building in the center of the map/image

Pier commonly used by NCL is at top of image

Zoom in for more detail - - -

Edited by don't-use-real-name