Maitre d’s on the QM2

Mudhen

10 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

As of the December Transatlantic to New York they were the venerable Osman in the Queen’s Grill and Thomas looking after the Princess Grill.  I would imagine they are still onboard.  

Think they both are on their usual leave from the end on this month.

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Think they both are on their usual leave from the end on this month.

Thank you for that info. We are in a Princess 1 cabin and are considering an upgrade to Queen's Grill, however, we are not a fan of the current M'd in the Queen's grill dining room. Most people think he's wonderful.....we, not so much!

14 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

As of the December Transatlantic to New York they were the venerable Osman in the Queen’s Grill and Thomas looking after the Princess Grill.  I would imagine they are still onboard.  

Is Thomas, the same Tomas who used to be on QV as a Head Waiter in QG, then  Maître 'd of the Lido and then one of the M'ds in Victoria's Britannia restaurant? If so that's a well deserved promotion for a wonderful member of Cunard's staff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Is Thomas, the same Tomas who used to be on QV as a Head Waiter in QG, then  Maître 'd of the Lido and then one of the M'ds in Victoria's Britannia restaurant? If so that's a well deserved promotion for a wonderful member of Cunard's staff. 

Thomas was the Britannia MD (upper level) in 2019, then went to Grills.

7 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Thank you for that info. We are in a Princess 1 cabin and are considering an upgrade to Queen's Grill, however, we are not a fan of the current M'd in the Queen's grill dining room. Most people think he's wonderful.....we, not so much!

This was our first crossing in PG and we loved it.   We were extremely well looked after by Thomas, Vasant and the team, and the food was top notch.  Other than caviar, it was hard to notice the difference between PG and QG in terms of dining. We also lucked into a fantastic table right at the stern in the corner.  QG is great, but we came away thinking PG was the sweet spot.  

C7B26B0F-6449-426C-B156-DED1D054446B.jpeg

50 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

This was our first crossing in PG and we loved it.   We were extremely well looked after by Thomas, Vasant and the team, and the food was top notch.  Other than caviar, it was hard to notice the difference between PG and QG in terms of dining. We also lucked into a fantastic table right at the stern in the corner.  QG is great, but we came away thinking PG was the sweet spot.  

C7B26B0F-6449-426C-B156-DED1D054446B.jpeg

OOOOO! That sound and looks great! We've been in both grills. Princess twice, Queen's 3x. The last time was Princess and we were totally happy with it. I felt it a shade less stuffy...more smiles, laughter and giggles. Didn't find that much in Queen's Grill. We'll most likely stay were we are....bird in hand sort of thing! Thank you for the photo and insight.

We actually had some fun comparing they merits of the two dining rooms.  I eat in the dining room for B, L and D every day and so really like the set table at any time aspect.  As for dinner,  I actually appreciated the fact that PG seemed to have fewer carts rolling around with the flambé floor shows, and my DH likes the decor of the PG better than QG, which he refers to as “Dubai Banquet Hall” (I don’t agree, but it’s fun to go back and forth).  Interestingly the Maitre D’ said that the seating capacity of PG was around 175 and QG slightly more crowded at 205.  The cheese cart (a Francophilic obsession of mine) was equally underwhelming in both dining rooms.

In terms of the cabins (and I think this may different dramatically with a like-like comparison on QV/QE), we missed the larger walk-in closet of the Q5/6 but that was it.  The butler was never that important for us, we never used the whirlpool bath, and the size of the PG cabin seemed more than adequate.  

We have a couple more crossings booked in QG, but going forward, I think I will have a hard time justifying any future bookings in QG.  In fact, now I am even more eager to try Britannia Club.

Our favorite M'd was a mountain of a man from New Zealand....Patou? Not sure about that name. I have not seen or heard about him for a few years now...may not be with the company any longer. 

He had a great sense of warmth and fun and didn't take himself as seriously as that other man.

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Oliver?  Head Waiter on QM2 two years ago?  He is now on the QE

Thank you. That may very well be the Oliver I am thinking of. On the QM2 he was a head waiter, maitre d' and assistant maitre d' at various times in all rooms. All being well we may see him on the QE in June.

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Thank you. That may very well be the Oliver I am thinking of. On the QM2 he was a head waiter, maitre d' and assistant maitre d' at various times in all rooms. All being well we may see him on the QE in June.

Both Oliver and Frances were Thomas’s right hand people (assistant MDs).

If, and a big if, Oliver is still on the QE in June, and you want to give him a smile, before boarding purchase a pack of high quality “Madeleines” as a gift.  They are his favourite cakes. 😉

• 2 years later...