Diamond Upgrade Success....or Not?

Sand and Seas

Booked a b2b cruise from NYC - Quebec and  Quebec - NYC while on board our last cruise. Making sure that we booked the same room number on both cruises, which we did. Our booking indicated a BF-BA category status. 

We intended to use our Diamond upgrades to  MA Club Balcony Suite but was disallowed because our  BF status.  So we chose an MC cabin (same room ). Our PCC scripted a note to the upgrade team? that if the room number was not available on both legs of the b2b do not apply the Diamond Upgrades. 

72 hours later we received conformation that we were upgraded with our choice of room on the Joy for both cruises.

Looking forward sailing on the Joy. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 11:35 AM, Epic_Bear said:

We did a Diamond upgrade from ocean view to balcony and it took three weeks for it to be processed, even if they told us it would take 72 hours, for anyone waiting on one.

I was just going to ask how long approval is taking.  We applied last week but haven't heard anything.  Our situation may be different than others.  We have a B2B and OV is booked on both legs.  But only a guarantee balcony is showing on the 2nd leg.  Not sure if they will upgrade us or not.

We went through our NCL PCC and requested a Diamond upgrade for my wife as I have already used mine.  We are past the previous one year limit that I have mentioned in the past.  Back in January I asked my PCC about the one year limitation and she said NCL wasn’t abiding by it anymore.

Yesterday, NCL responded via email with the upgrade from Gty OV to a Balcony that was requested on 3/23/23.  The email that I received actually showed the email request from our PCC to latitude support @ ncl.com.  As some have mentioned in the past one can request a particular room.  I noted in the email that our PCC did ask for a specific room unbeknownst to me, but the room that was assigned was just a few doors down which put us closer to the dining room and the breakfast buffet.  We’re very satisfied with the perk.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 9:12 PM, Sand and Seas said:

We have also learned to call back sometimes to get a more knowledgeable agent!  It does sound like the good agent you talked with was much open to reviewing your preferences for your upgrade.

When we got our first & second Diamond upgrades starting fourteen months ago, we weren't able to get a  MA  (from balcony) cabin.  At that time we were told they could only upgrade us to the lowest available category.  I sincerely hope they are now allowing a top category upgrade!   

We had researched vacant cabins and were satisfied with the possible locations of the MC cabin we were upgraded to.   Our last upgrade was processed a few months ago on the Prima.  (We had to book the 2nd within one year of becoming diamond and the deadline was closing in on us.)   We went from a B4 to a MB as Prima does not have anything lower than 'B'.  We were very happy with getting an upgrade for another 11 day cruise on Prima!

Please report back when your upgrade processes. I hope you get a great cabin🤞

We received confirmation of Diamond upgrade today, 11 days after request. Unfortunately our input was not considered as 3 reps stated it would be. It is what it is…but OA did not upgrade to BA as stated, but to BF and 2 different staterooms for each leg of the B2B. Oh well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Norway97 said:

We received confirmation of Diamond upgrade today, 11 days after request. Unfortunately our input was not considered as 3 reps stated it would be. It is what it is…but OA did not upgrade to BA as stated, but to BF and 2 different staterooms for each leg of the B2B. Oh well.

Sorry they couldn't get you in the same room for each leg!  

It is amazing to me that for our one-time Diamond upgrade they can't let us have a decision on cabin choices😒.      I hope you have an awesome B2B!

• Like 1

Sometimes we except what is given.  Try contacting your PCC and see if they can't make something happen for you.  If you don't ask you never know.  Case in point, I recently made a reservation and during the booking I asked my PCC if she couldn't twist an arm or two and get me a discount.  She paused for a minute and says btw I can do this for you.  How about 50% off your cruise fare.  DAM!! I said this sounds to good to be true.  What's the catch?  I was dumb founded.  I said sign me up!!  Now, I have to ask myself why didn't she offer that in the first place?    

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 4:42 PM, TrumpyNor said:

Thank you, I wrote them an e-mail last Monday, and received a cofirmation today (Friday) that they have upgraded our Obstructed Oceanview cabin to a BF balcony cabin for the cruise we have booked for August 2023. 

Just quoting myself in order to let others here know that the "one time price-drop FCC" is valid also in case of a price-drop after final payment on your original cabin type even though you have received a Diamond upgrade to a higher category cabin. I noticed earlier this week that on our upcoming cruise for August 2023, there had been a significant price-drop on obstructed oceanview cabins (our originally booked cabin category), so I asked for FCC for the difference even though we have received a Diamond upgrade to a balcony cabin for that cruise. Yesterday I received the confirmation that on completion of our cruise, we will receive a total FCC of $1700.

• Like 6

On 4/18/2023 at 2:54 AM, Warbird said:

Sometimes we except what is given.  Try contacting your PCC and see if they can't make something happen for you.  If you don't ask you never know.  Case in point, I recently made a reservation and during the booking I asked my PCC if she couldn't twist an arm or two and get me a discount.  She paused for a minute and says btw I can do this for you.  How about 50% off your cruise fare.  DAM!! I said this sounds to good to be true.  What's the catch?  I was dumb founded.  I said sign me up!!  Now, I have to ask myself why didn't she offer that in the first place?    

So you received a 50% discount on your cruise fare from a PCC. Sorry, but I don’t believe you, unless it was the smoke and mirror discount they were running at the time.

• 1 month later...

It sounds like some folks were able to use their Diamond Upgrade perk outside of the 1-year requirement to use it or lose it. @Warbird confirmed that the 1-year requirement to use it or lose it has been dropped by NCL.

Has anyone used the Diamond Upgrade successfully recently in the case where they turned Diamond over a year ago? I immediately turned Diamond when they 1st introduced the new tiers in early 2022.

Like many of you, I called the Diamond Upgrade number provided and got a clueless agent. After a bit of checking by her, I was asked to call that same number. I told her that was the number I dialed to reach her. Then after a bit of more checking, I was told to write to the Latitudes Support email address.

So, 3 weeks ago, I wrote to the email address and was given a case number in their auto-reply. I kept it simple and asked for an upgrade from my current OK cabin (Obstructed Oceanview) on NCL Jewel to a Balcony with no request for any specific cabin or location. Still no answer from them.

Thoughts on what I should do next? Thanks.

6 hours ago, deepbluediver said:

It sounds like some folks were able to use their Diamond Upgrade perk outside of the 1-year requirement to use it or lose it. @Warbird confirmed that the 1-year requirement to use it or lose it has been dropped by NCL.

Has anyone used the Diamond Upgrade successfully recently in the case where they turned Diamond over a year ago? I immediately turned Diamond when they 1st introduced the new tiers in early 2022.

Like many of you, I called the Diamond Upgrade number provided and got a clueless agent. After a bit of checking by her, I was asked to call that same number. I told her that was the number I dialed to reach her. Then after a bit of more checking, I was told to write to the Latitudes Support email address.

So, 3 weeks ago, I wrote to the email address and was given a case number in their auto-reply. I kept it simple and asked for an upgrade from my current OK cabin (Obstructed Oceanview) on NCL Jewel to a Balcony with no request for any specific cabin or location. Still no answer from them.

Thoughts on what I should do next? Thanks.

It wouldn't hurt for you try calling them again.  Like you, I reached a clueless person originally.  Same story about 'call the number...' which was the exact number I called!   When I called a 2nd (or was it 3rd?) time, I reached someone who was willing to put some effort into reaching out to the diamond upgrade department.  

For one of our two upgrades, I didn't get a call or email, but noticed in the My NCL app that my cabin was changed!   Hopefully you will get that upgrade🤞 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 3:12 PM, TrumpyNor said:

Just quoting myself in order to let others here know that the "one time price-drop FCC" is valid also in case of a price-drop after final payment on your original cabin type even though you have received a Diamond upgrade to a higher category cabin. I noticed earlier this week that on our upcoming cruise for August 2023, there had been a significant price-drop on obstructed oceanview cabins (our originally booked cabin category), so I asked for FCC for the difference even though we have received a Diamond upgrade to a balcony cabin for that cruise. Yesterday I received the confirmation that on completion of our cruise, we will receive a total FCC of $1700.

A small caveat, based on the World Points upgrade process - which may or may not have the same processes.  I was able to get FCC also, after using points for an upgrade.  But someone else posted that when they reversed the process (asked for FCC, then their upgrade) they lost the FCC. I wouldn't venture to guess whether that was due to the order or just the fact that it was 2 adjustments after final pay - but probably a good idea to request your upgrade before final payment.

14 minutes ago, julig22 said:

A small caveat, based on the World Points upgrade process - which may or may not have the same processes.  I was able to get FCC also, after using points for an upgrade.  But someone else posted that when they reversed the process (asked for FCC, then their upgrade) they lost the FCC. I wouldn't venture to guess whether that was due to the order or just the fact that it was 2 adjustments after final pay - but probably a good idea to request your upgrade before final payment.

My Diamond upgrade was done already in August 2022, and the FCC for the same cruise given in April 2023 *after final payment.  Sailing date in August 2023. So will receive the actual FCC voucher when that cruise is completed. 

On 6/22/2023 at 10:02 AM, Sand and Seas said:

It wouldn't hurt for you try calling them again.  Like you, I reached a clueless person originally.  Same story about 'call the number...' which was the exact number I called!   When I called a 2nd (or was it 3rd?) time, I reached someone who was willing to put some effort into reaching out to the diamond upgrade department.  

For one of our two upgrades, I didn't get a call or email, but noticed in the My NCL app that my cabin was changed!   Hopefully you will get that upgrade🤞 

Thanks for the advice. I decided to do the least effort by emailing the Latitudes Support team again and see what happens. I would call if I don't hear back again.

The good news is that they did finally reply to my 2nd email and I've been upgraded from an obstructed oceanview cabin to a balcony (BF category - the lowest) cabin - the ones with the enclosed steel hull windows. Location looks fine and I don't think it'll be noisy.

BTW, when I emailed them again, I also CCed 2 NCL executives in the hopes of a response. That seem to work. 😀

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking to jump into diamond status in a couple of months and appreciate everyone's input on the topic of the one-time upgrade.  I've come away with a couple of valuable bits of information for when that time comes.......

1.  Don't ask complawyer about their need, or lack there of, for the one-time upgrade.  Must be good to be a lawyer.  Apparently I picked the wrong profession.  Still trying to figure out what they were doing on this forum in the first place.  I have found that cruisers who book Haven suites want everyone to know about it on CC.

2.  A cruise on the Epic can be upgraded two stateroom categories as a result of not having oceanview.

Ken

Edited by ColoradoKen
  • Like 2

Hi. I requested my Diamond upgrade for a December 2023 cruise on the Epic on June 5, using the phone number provided on the website 1-866-625-6086. They said I should hear in a week. On July 17, I hadn't heard anything so emailed latitudesupport@ncl.com and was given a case number. I received my upgrade on July 27. No email - I noticed it when checking my reservation online.

The upgrade was from an inside to a 'privasea' balcony (as Ken mentioned, there are no outside cabins on the Epic, so you get to skip a level). FAS choices were retained. Current pricing for the balcony is about $1300 more than I paid for the inside. So, while not the best balcony on the ship, this was a pretty good way to score an upgrade.

• Like 4

Things have changed significantly since they originally upgraded the Latitudes levels, so do not expect results that some Diamonds had received in the first few months it was released.

@Portia! has describe the "most-likely" type of results for most Diamonds moving forward.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 3:23 PM, gmbhardy said:

So you received a 50% discount on your cruise fare from a PCC. Sorry, but I don’t believe you, unless it was the smoke and mirror discount they were running at the time.

Wish I had seen this earlier so it would be relevant, but attached is a current NCL Discount with another 50% discount on an Alaskan Cruise on either the Spirit, Sun, or Jewell.  Log in to your account and check your Coupons and Credits. Just for giggles I called my PCC and asked for a price on the Sun (last Alaskan cruise this season) in an Inside Gty with insurance.  $1350.00 This coupon expires on 08-10-23 in my case.   

NCL Discount 08-08-23.png

On 7/31/2023 at 4:10 AM, ggTexasGal said:

Things have changed significantly since they originally upgraded the Latitudes levels, so do not expect results that some Diamonds had received in the first few months it was released.

@Portia! has describe the "most-likely" type of results for most Diamonds moving forward.

I requested my upgrade just a few days after NCL implemented the new benefits.  The agent at NCL with whom I spoke hadn't even heard about it.  She found a press release, training aid, or some other info and read it aloud as I waited on the phone.  Once she figured out that my request was legitimate, she updated my reservation on the spot to the stateroom number I had requested.  As I understand it now, however, the process takes days, NCL assigns the cabin number, and you have no option to keep your original room if you don't like the room they assign you.  It was great while it lasted, but I doubt that we will ever bother to use my wife's Diamond upgrade.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I requested my upgrade just a few days after NCL implemented the new benefits.  The agent at NCL with whom I spoke hadn't even heard about it.  She found a press release, training aid, or some other info and read it aloud as I waited on the phone.  Once she figured out that my request was legitimate, she updated my reservation on the spot to the stateroom number I had requested.  As I understand it now, however, the process takes days, NCL assigns the cabin number, and you have no option to keep your original room if you don't like the room they assign you.  It was great while it lasted, but I doubt that we will ever bother to use my wife's Diamond upgrade.

DH and I each had our upgrades applied very soon after the program was implemented. we were both pleased with the results on those cruises.  Looking back, we are very happy that we didn't wait longer!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey,colorado ken. dont throw shade at me. i am now diamond status, and if the highest cabin i can upgrade to is the club balcony, for me and my travel companions the diamond status makes no difference. im not about to book a balcony cabin so i can upgrade 1 time to a club suite. if you feel that this type of benefit is worth it to you go for it.

i personally prefer the perks that come with a suite or a haven. if ncl allowed an upgrade from a club to a suite that would be fine with me. 

by the way, being a lawyer for 30 years was quite fulfilling. i wasnt trying to flaunt  my profession, social status or wealth. try a suite one time and tell me you disagree.

, i have over 2000 posts on cc, we've been on most of the ncl fleet, over 25 nclcruises under my belt, and i believe i am qualified to comment on a great many questions posed by the readers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Has anyone ever had success in using Master Card World Points to upgrade to a Balcony, then using the Latitudes Diamond Upgrade for a further upgrade to a Club Balcony?

This was my exact question a few months ago. My update might have gotten buried. I wasn't able to use both World Points and a family members Diamond Upgrade. But with NCL, who knows! Someone might do it, but others might say no! Lol